The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 7, 2006, 01:37 AM   #26
Bigoledude

Hey FF

Here, the restriction to BB shot and rimfire .22's is only when deer season is closed. During deer season you can shoot hogs with anything legal to take deer with.

I asked a game warden the same question you ask now. He told me the reason was that when confronted in the woods with centerfire rifles and with shotguns loaded with either buckshot or slugs the hunters always claimed to be hog hunting. However, the temptation to kill a deer when one crossed their path was more than some hunters could handle. Thus, the prohibition on deer-sized ammo when deer season is closed.

What's even more rediculous is that down here, deer browse is being destroyed by the huge numbers of wild hogs, to the point of affecting the deer numbers! I hear that in some states, hunting hogs at night is actually legal. Imagine that!
Old February 8, 2006, 01:34 AM   #27
dgc940

Id use this right behind the ear! should penetrate well

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=110531
Old February 8, 2006, 10:52 AM   #28
FirstFreedom

Quote:
Here, the restriction to BB shot and rimfire .22's is only when deer season is closed. During deer season you can shoot hogs with anything legal to take deer with.
I know; exactly. Problem is, it's not deer season. In deer season I'm hunting deer. Now I'd like to hunt hogs.

Quote:
I asked a game warden the same question you ask now. He told me the reason was that when confronted in the woods with centerfire rifles and with shotguns loaded with either buckshot or slugs the hunters always claimed to be hog hunting. However, the temptation to kill a deer when one crossed their path was more than some hunters could handle. Thus, the prohibition on deer-sized ammo when deer season is closed.
Yes, I know. That is precisely what I figured is the reason. Too many yahoos that would sneak poached deer out while the warden isn't looking. It's a shame, because the damage that hogs cause is going to be checked less if legal hunters are limited in their means of taking like this, and since the public lands are refuges for the hogs (they go out at night to the adjacent farmlands and tear them up, then retreat to the haven of public lands during the day).

Quote:
What's even more rediculous is that down here, deer browse is being destroyed by the huge numbers of wild hogs, to the point of affecting the deer numbers! I hear that in some states, hunting hogs at night is actually legal. Imagine that!
Yes, in Texas, you can hunt them at night, with a light, however you want. Here, you can hunt them year-round, and can even hunt them at night on private lands. But since you can not use a light, unlike TX, it's rather difficult to hunt them at night, unless there's a bright full moon. At some point, as their populations grow and they become more of a menace, the wildlife dept will undoubtedly start to loosen up like TX, allowing for lights, night vision, and rifles on public lands.

But again, my bow will be the best bet, as I'm pretty decent with it, know that it's deadly medicine, and besides, bowhunting is a hoot.
Old February 8, 2006, 06:04 PM   #29
TCman

I would use a 12ga 3in with bb. If you have a pump or auto that would be a lot of lead down range. Also try a turkey choke.

Last edited by TCman; February 8, 2006 at 10:25 PM.
Old February 8, 2006, 07:44 PM   #30
armedtotheteeth

Any one out here ever use a red lens to hunt hogs at night. let me let you in on a little secret. They are color blind, cant see red. I thin it is cheating, but it is fun.hehe
Old February 8, 2006, 11:21 PM   #31
FirstFreedom

Quote:
I would use a 12ga 3in with bb. If you have a pump or auto that would be a lot of lead down range. Also try a turkey choke.
That would work, but only for VERY short ranges - say out to 10 or maybe 15 yards at the very most, where the shot load is still acting like a slug. Say, over a feeder. But it's no good for general hunting - what if my only shot is 30, 40, or 50 yards - I'm SOL.

Realistically, I'm left with archery. I'm good to about 30 yards with my bow, maybe 35 if conditions are excellent. Or better yet, hunt on private lands only with my .45-70 or .308!
Old February 9, 2006, 12:35 AM   #32
CobrayCommando

I have a solution! Use an American 180, if possible the quad mount version intended for use on a Cessna.
Old February 9, 2006, 01:08 AM   #33
pipoman

My dad said they used to extend the range of their shotgun by reloading with the shot in nylon pantyhose.
Old February 11, 2006, 09:40 AM   #34
loggerhead

Location: Right of the Mississippi but South of the Mason Dixie line
Some of the Corps of Engineers land in Alabama has these rather stupid restrictions on weapons for hunting on their lands also. I think it was derived due to adjoining land owners wanting to minimize the hunting activity on the corps land as it is open to the public.
A 22LR between the eyes would be my favorite shot with behind the ear second. When shooting between the eyes one has to be careful as to how the hog is looking at you. IF he is looking down his nose, don;t shoot, the bullet will hit him in the nose and not kill him(be ready to go up the nearest tree). Wait until he drops his nose and then shoot. A broad side shot with buck shot at a reasonable range (-60yds) will do him in also. A BB shot is .17 caliber, I think (could be wrong), and a broad side shot at -30 yards should do the job.
A boar has a "shield" that runs from his neck to near the end of his rib cage. This shield is natures way of preventing them from fataly injuring each other while fighting. The older the boar the thicker the shield. I have seen old +250 lb boars with shields as thick as one inch. If you feel the shield with your hand it feels like a thick piece of fiber glass under the skin. Actually, it is more of a gristle type of material because you can cut it with a knife and most bullets and a straight on broad head will penetrate it.
Old February 11, 2006, 10:13 AM   #35
MeekAndMild

I've seen several hogs killed with a .22 but they were all smallish ones, never more than a couple of hundred pounds.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old February 11, 2006, 12:19 PM   #36
Desertfox

Use the bow. I use mine and it is a hoot. I prefer 145 gr. dangerous muzzy's for the broadhead selection. Hog Killers for sure. Right behind the shoulder and center mass. Quartering away hopefully. That boiler room is a little higher on a hog than it is on a deer. Razor sharp broadheads only or you will regret it.
Don't try those expandable broadhead crappers on hogs. You want penetration and cutting.
Check out the dangerous muzzy's 145 grain. www.gomuzzy.com
I have arrowed hogs with my recurve and my compound. Fun either way. They run a bit but they die fine. A good shot will drop an average hot in 50 yards. A less than good shot will drop a hog in..... a mile or so.
Wait for the quartering away shot and place it well. 150 pound hog or less, put him on the smoker. Bigger, pass on it, unless you are after a trophy or just want them gone.
Old February 11, 2006, 02:32 PM   #37
loggerhead

Location: Right of the Mississippi but South of the Mason Dixie line
In my experience a "big" wild hog is usually between 200 and 250 pounds, bigger is the exception. Killed one on my place several years ago that weighed 360# with one shot, .222 rem 50 gr ptsp and 80 yards.