The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 3, 2007, 08:11 AM   #1
DTakas

Help Finding an Old Post on Holster Making

I am looking for an old post on making leather holsters. I remember it being very detailed with a lot of pictures and step by step instructions. I think it was a two part post and was even a sticky on TFL somewhere for a while. I tried searching but with no luck. I would really appreciate it if anyone can give me a link.
Old August 3, 2007, 08:50 AM   #2
Mal H
Staff

The closest I found to what you're looking for is (but no pix, so it's probably not the one):

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=132386
Old August 3, 2007, 11:27 AM   #3
Cowart

This one has pictures...

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=207908
Old August 3, 2007, 11:33 AM   #4
Mal H
Staff

I'll bet that's it. It didn't contain any of the keywords I tried other than holster and leather.
Old August 3, 2007, 11:58 AM   #5
DTakas

That's it! Thanks a bunch guys.
Old August 3, 2007, 01:25 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Tandy's Leather sells holster making books with patterns. As I recall, there's at least one that tells you how to make your own patterns. Making the pattern yourself(shirt cardboard weight makes the best pattern paper) is better as the book patterns tend to ignore adjustable sights. I have the books around here some place, but don't recall the titles. One of 'em tells you how to make a western style holster and belt with cartridge loops.
A 2" common nail, filed to 1/8" wide and tapered into a hole punch, works well for thicker than 1/4" layers. The hole punches Tandy's sells tend to be for making leather clothing. They're too short to punch through three layers of 8 oz leather.
You'll want to taper the top edges of the holster too. Makes re-holstering easier. A rotary tool(Dremel) is good for this.
Tandy's has dyes too, but you can make black dye with a few hunks of black walnut bark, a hunk of steel wool and some vinegar. Put the bark and steel wool in a plastic coffee can and cover with the vinegar. Leave it sit until the steel wool is gone. Finish the dyed leather with regular shoe polish. Shoe polish has waxes in it that protects and water proofs the leather. It's cheap too.
Old August 3, 2007, 04:21 PM   #7
Thumper

It's easy with those Tandy kits.

Here are some holsters I've made.