The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2008, 08:30 PM   #1
shepherddogs

Light bullets in .308

I reloaded some 110 grain Spire Points for my Ruger 77VT. I seated them almost to the lands and took them to the range. It would fire two or three into an inch and then a flyer in the 2 inch range. I realize 110 grains is not the norm for 308 but I wanted some light kicking varmint type loads and the the barrel twist in the Ruger should easily stabilize the 110s. Anybody else load em light with any suggestions. The bullets are Speer. My brother used to load these in his 06 and swore by them.
Old January 17, 2008, 09:33 PM   #2
joneb

What powder and charge are you using?
Quote:
I seated them almost to the lands
There may not be enough bullet left in the case for adequate neck tension.
Old January 17, 2008, 09:48 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Jib jab's question is right to the point. Light bullets offer too little inertial resistance to allow a lot of conventional powders to burn properly, and you can get some rather wild muzzle velocity variations as a result. Indeed, there is a phenomenon called a secondary pressure spike that can occur when a light bullet nears the muzzle if some powders are used.

You can use 8 or 9 grains of Unique for a plinker. If you want something nearer to a full velocity load, try Reloader 10X, which was developed for light bullets.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 18, 2008, 08:22 PM   #4
shepherddogs

Jibjab The powder is 3031 and the charge is 46 grains.
Old January 18, 2008, 09:59 PM   #5
joneb

What velocity are you after ? What was the C.O.A.L. of your rounds ? Sorry for all the questions. IMR 3031 should be a good powder for that bullet if you are after 3,000 FPSish velocities, but I use 16gr of Blue Dot with Nosler 125 BT in my Howa 1500 .308 Win. for varmint dispatching in noise sensitive areas.
Old January 18, 2008, 11:08 PM   #6
Dlr8

I have never had any problem at all with lighter bullets, I try to keep the around 3000 fps or under, seems to be a little more accurate that way.. I do think you might be seating them too far out though. Seems like the in-thing to do on the internet these days .. my advice, stick to what is in the manuals.. If that don't work then you might look in to moving closer to the lands but most of the time its not needed.. Keep in mind that you should have at least the diameter of the bullet inside the neck.

Dave
Old January 19, 2008, 05:34 PM   #7
shepherddogs

Just measured a cartridge @ 2.625 inches OAL. I usually get good results with seating bullets out to nearly touch the lands but maybe it doesn't work so great with shorter lighter bullets.
I realize this is not super close to the lands but as far out as I thought I could get and still have adequate bullet in the case.

Last edited by shepherddogs; January 19, 2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old January 19, 2008, 06:56 PM   #8
crowbeaner

Bear in mind that you are shooting basically a .30 carbine bullet at full rifle velocity, and some flyers are going to occur. I don't shoot anything lighter than a 125 or 130 in my '06 because the short bullets have a long jump to the lands even seated out. If you keep the velocity down around carbine levels they may group better. My favorite lightweight load is a 130 Hornady spirepoint over 50.0 of WW 748, or a 125 spitzer over 51.0 of 748. CB.
Old January 19, 2008, 07:18 PM   #9
shepherddogs

I guess it boils down to this. I always heard the less jump the bullet has to make from the case to the rifling the better. I have found this to be true in most every case. Now I'm thinking with short light bullets it may be counterproductive. Does anyone else load these Speer 110s? What COAL and what kind of accuracy results?