The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 15, 2009, 05:56 PM   #1
salmodog

Problems with Cynergy?

I've had problems with my new Cynergy since I first used it in January and want to know if anyone else has had my experience.

First time I used it, it failed to reset and file on multiple occasions. I sent it back to Browning, which made "minor" repairs, refit the forearm and sent it back to me. It still continues to do the same thing, although not as badly. Worse yet, the gun locked up on me with live ammunition loaded. I couldn't open the gun to remove the load, nor could I fire it, which left me in a very untenable situation. I finally did get the round off, but the gun breaks open only with extreme difficulty, sometimes not opening at all.

Am I alone in this experience?
Old March 15, 2009, 11:32 PM   #2
olddrum1

I would give Browning over at Arnold Missouri a call and tell them what your gun is doing. Normally, and I have my doubts that this is the case, shooting lite loads will keep you gun from reseting. With the issue of not being able to break the gun open, it sounds like a firing pin issue. Again I would call the good folks over at Arnold, I believe their number is on the Browning web site, and see if they have an idea of what is going on with your Cynergy.

If your gun will not open, find a same place that you can drop it on its recoil pad sharply while pointing safely up in the air. This will sometimes dislodge a firing pin that is still protruding into the primer indentation. If this works then you have a firing pin problem.
Old March 16, 2009, 08:47 AM   #3
Waterengineer

Everyone has a bad day but this doesn't sound like the Browning I know. I am sorry to hear of your issues. Good luck and keep us apprised of the resolution. I think many Browning fans that whatch this board will be interested in what happens.
Old March 16, 2009, 12:09 PM   #4
BigJimP

I don't have much to add - other that this is the first I've heard of any issues with the Cynergy models. I would certainly talk to Browning - or to a good gunsmith. But some questions ....

Did you buy the gun new ?
If yes, how many shells do you have thru it at this point ?
If used, do you know how many shells were fired thru it ?
What kind of ammo are you using ?
Are you using factory ammo or reloads ?
Have you tried a different brand of factory ammo ?

Does any of this change the issues you're having ?
Old March 16, 2009, 12:22 PM   #5
oneounceload

I wonder if, when you sent it back to Browning, their smith didn't try to extend the firing pin a little to get it to always fire.

If it's new, call Browning; if used, a good smith should be able to work on it.