The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 15, 2009, 09:57 AM   #1
armed_preacher

Mistakes in "Lock n Load"

Anyone see the "Handguns" episode of Lock n Load on History channel? Makes me nervous!

In the very opening scene we see 4-5 Marines pull up in a car, jump out, and start to shoot "bad guy" targets. Problem... you can see the driver forgets to put the car in park and it begins rolling forward. A Marine has to jump back in. (I think, R. Lee Ermey is standing in the way to see exactly what happens)

Also funny... Mr. Ermey shooting a 44 mag into ballistics gel from a crouch and falling over backwards...
Old August 15, 2009, 10:04 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I saw it. It was a good show. He's definitely not big on 9mm... "In my opinion, and you a agree with me, this is only good for punching paper." is what he said to the other guy at one point.

I didn't see the beginning though.
Old August 15, 2009, 11:49 AM   #3
kalstrand

I was a bit surprised at how poorly he handled the recoil of the .44 mag and .500 mag.
Old August 15, 2009, 01:28 PM   #4
armed_preacher

The super slow motion showing the 500 mag recoil was pretty impressive thought. You could see a shock wave traveling up and through his arm. I can see why he calls it a "wrist breaker."
Old August 15, 2009, 02:22 PM   #5
ScaryWoody

I like the show! Then again what else is on? I thought the handguns episode was very interesting. The shock wave of the 44 mag through the gelatin was impressive. They should have done that for the .500mag.
Old August 15, 2009, 02:31 PM   #6
DXJ

The problem I had with the show was that they were touting that one reason the .44 Magnum was so special was that it had a hollow point. Granted, the military doesn't use hollow points but the military doesn't use the .44 Magnum either.

During one segment he had a wound on his eyebrow. I wonder if he got that the first time he shot the S&W 500 and they didn't air that.
Old August 15, 2009, 02:55 PM   #7
armed_preacher

As much as I enjoy R Lee he doesn't appear to be a poster boy for Gun Safety. After he shoots or blows something up he's always waving the weapon around like a kid not caring where he points it.

Many camera shots are "straight down the barrel" and you can see ammo in the cylinders. I sure hope the one under the hammer is empty! Wouldn't want to be his camera man.
Old August 15, 2009, 04:48 PM   #8
olyinaz

>>>Many camera shots are "straight down the barrel" and you can see ammo in the cylinders.<<<

Well let's face it, R. Lee has been a Hollywood actor for many many years now so I figure dummy rounds are in those guns. And in any case the shows are pretty light weight. I enjoy one occassionally with my boys if there's nothing else on and we're in TV mode, but there's not much to recommend them.

Regards,
Oly
Old August 15, 2009, 04:58 PM   #9
MLeake

Cameras...

.... don't necessarily have to be handled by a cameraman. I suspect many shows that want such dramatic angles use mounted, RC cameras.
Old August 15, 2009, 05:26 PM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

Watch the tank episode.

He's in the right front hull position of an M-18 Hellcat tank destroyer when they fire the 76mm HV gun.

Before it goes off, he's wearing his Marine cap and a big Ess Eating grin.

You can see the shock wave hit him and take the cap off his head, and the smile just evaporates into a shocked and somewhat dazed expression.

About 3 seconds after, the guy in the driver's position in the left of the hull says, in an amazed, shocked, and somewhat indignant voice "SON OF A BEACH!"

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 15, 2009, 05:45 PM   #11
Russ5924

I like his shows get a big kick out of them
Old August 15, 2009, 07:54 PM   #12
DG45

I never was a 9mm fan or a Glock handgun fan but I have to admit that the Lock & Load episode showing a 9mm Glock 18 and a 9mm Uzi being fired flat out on full automatic was quite impressive. The shooters ability to hold these guns on target while firing them on full auto and literally spraying the targets with bullets was an incredible firepower demonstration and made a believer out of me as to the military/police usefulness of the round. I still can't see it as a semi-auto cartridge. If I can only put one round at a time in the target give me a .45.
Old August 15, 2009, 07:56 PM   #13
KyJim

I saw the handgun episode. You have to remember that Locked and Loaded isn't meant as serious history or ballistic studies. It's entertainment first and last with a bit of history, etc. thrown in.

The slow motion replays showed him with eyes shut when firing the .500 SW. I'm sure it's an instinctive reaction. I wonder how many of us would also instinctively close our eyes when firing that hand cannon.
Old August 15, 2009, 10:21 PM   #14
jfrey

I noticed several times when he was shooting the single action, he had his finger on the trigger when he wasn't shooting. My wife was wondering why I was talking to the TV. I kept saying "get your finger off the trigger - stupid". I guess the show is meant to be light and entertaining, not an exercise in quality gun handling. If they could get Ms. Abbott to host the show, their ratings would go up immensely. Gunny is gunny, but I have never kissed any of my 1911's either.
Old August 15, 2009, 10:31 PM   #15
armsmaster270

"Quote" I have never kissed any of my 1911's either.

I haven't either but I have slept with it.
Old August 15, 2009, 10:34 PM   #16
MLeake

You've slept with one of jfrey's 1911's?

Does he know? Guess he does now...

(Sorry, couldn't help myself.)
Old August 15, 2009, 10:43 PM   #17
CWPinSC

Jeez, it's one of the VERY FEW pro-gun shows on TV and all you guys can do is criticize it. :barf:
Old August 15, 2009, 10:47 PM   #18
jfrey

I wondered where that Ultra-compact kept slipping off to. ????????? HaHa

I too have slept with one of my 1911's under my pillow on several occassions. I think it happens in more house holds than most will admit. I can assure you, my G36 sleeps near my head EVERY night.
Old August 15, 2009, 10:54 PM   #19
armed_preacher

Quote:
Jeez, it's one of the VERY FEW pro-gun shows on TV and all you guys can do is criticize it.
Surely you don't want us to pick apart "Dancing With the Stars" or some other stupid show... you "pick at" what you like!
Old August 15, 2009, 11:00 PM   #20
MLeake

Picking at the show...

Please realize that most "picking" isn't intended as sniping, so much as it is pointing out potentially unsafe practices.

Please also realize that a lot of posters and lurkers in TFL are very, very new to shooting, and may not realize the staggering number of unsafe practices they see on TV. A lot of us here feel some responsibility to try and prevent them from mimicking such practices.

It's not meant to run down the show so much as it is meant to try and protect newbies, or to confirm doubts we may hold about what is or isn't unsafe.
Old August 15, 2009, 11:14 PM   #21
jfrey

MLeake - well said! Right on point.
Old August 15, 2009, 11:39 PM   #22
(BH)

Quote:
During one segment he had a wound on his eyebrow. I wonder if he got that the first time he shot the S&W 500 and they didn't air that.
Yeah, I notice that as well, and thought the exact same thing.

Makes ya wonder....

It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. The act of dying is not of importance, it lasts so short a time.
-Samuel Johnson
Old August 16, 2009, 01:35 PM   #23
Tomh

I noticed in a lot of the segment with the .45 peacemaker, he was holding the gun with the hammer back, and then would turn right around and fire it, don't know if that was some slick editing, or careless handling. Although it is a pro gun show, good safety practices still should be followed. With that said, I love the guy, and love the show.
Old August 16, 2009, 06:48 PM   #24
armsmaster270

They would also switch from barrel view to side view and the hammer would be up or down deprnding on the view.
Old August 16, 2009, 09:07 PM   #25
Bart Noir

Lots of editing goofs, not to be blamed on him.

One scene with the 1911 ejection port on the left!

He is handling a 1911 and the scenes keep changing to show one with or without forward grasping serrations. With or without a cocked hammer.

ETC.

But I do love the show. I mean, shooting a hogleg from a moving Harley and hitting I love that!

And I did wonder about the nick on his forhead, just where a front sight would catch him in full flipping up recoil. That should have been more material for a blooper show someday.

Bart Noir
Who will have to watch the Mail Call bloopers again. Selecting the version without the bleeping of the cuss words.