The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: How do you feel about CCW in Church
I always carry. 55 61.80%
I sometimes carry. 19 21.35%
I don't carry, but don't mind if others do. 13 14.61%
I don't carry, and no one should carry in church. 2 2.25%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 20, 2008, 08:07 PM   #1
Line Rider

Carrying in Church

During the 80's and 90's I went of a large church of about 1000 during Sunday morning. We were in an area that was going down hill in a hurry. Most mornings I had a J frame in a Bianchi ankle holster. On Wednesday night I usually worn a jacket or sweat shirt so concealing a 1911A1 or GL 17 wasn't a problem. There had been a few muggings and assaults near our church. One robbery ocurred in another church before Sunday School. Several others and I had the blessing of our pastor to carry.

Well today I've had to move due to work. I work every Sunday.(BTW I'm a cop.) I now have a wife and son and would like to at least go to Sunday Evening and Wednesday Evening service with them. They are going to a much smaller rural church now. There are about 50 to 60 on Sunday. I don't have a problem with carrying in church.

How do you feel on the subject of carrying in church? If yes want do you carry or would you carry?
Old April 20, 2008, 08:19 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

I carry when and where it's legal.
Old April 20, 2008, 08:26 PM   #3
spamanon

Every Sunday.

I carry everywhere it is legal, and nowhere it isn't. After the incident in Utah (or was it Colorado?) I have made a couple of guys at church. One is a cop and the other is a recently discharged (honorably) vet.
Old April 20, 2008, 09:05 PM   #4
deercop

I usually carry my Seecamp in a pocket. I thought about ankle carry of my Glock 27 or S&W 642, but we attend a Catholic Church, and I doubt the people in the pews behind me would appreciate the view when we're kneeling.
Old April 20, 2008, 09:07 PM   #5
Dr_2_B

I can't remember the last time I was in church without a handgun. I was a worship pastor for 10 years and on-stage every service. Now I'm not on staff, but I still carry.

Quote:
If yes want do you carry or would you carry?
Geez, everything imaginable from a NAA 22 mag revolver to a GLOCK 45
Old April 20, 2008, 09:11 PM   #6
xrocket

Seecamp or Sig P232 works for me.
Old April 20, 2008, 09:36 PM   #7
bigghoss

my church is practically a gun club. the pastor just asked me today if I wanted to buy his walther. lots of people regularly bring their various guns to show to each other. it's almost like a small weekly gunshow. if you're looking for a gun go to my church and ask around.
Old April 20, 2008, 09:37 PM   #8
soldiercraig

My girlfriend was at the missions school that was attacked in colorado right before the church was attacked. I very much believe that if its legal and wont distract others from worship then by all means carry in church. Because of age I am not able to, but I have plenty of friends that do and I feel more comfortable knowing that protection is near by if something should happen.
"I have learned that there are troubles of more than one kind, some come from ahead and some come from behind, but I've brought a big bat, I am all ready you see, now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"
-Dr. Seuss
Old April 21, 2008, 04:11 AM   #9
denfoote

If ya do it right, the only person, besides yourself, who's gonna know is God, who, by the way, told ya to carry the danged thing in the first place!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old April 21, 2008, 05:44 AM   #10
CajunBass

From the Virginia code.

Quote:
§ 18.2-283. Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship.

If any person carry any gun, pistol, bowie knife, dagger or other dangerous weapon, without good and sufficient reason, to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.
I can neither confirm nor deny rather I do or do not have "good and sufficient reason."
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 21, 2008, 06:56 AM   #11
tex45acp

Since I recieved my CHL I have carried in every church I enter. I have yet to see one that was posted preventing carry.
Old April 21, 2008, 06:59 AM   #12
Allstar

I would but it is illegal in VA to carry in a church.
"The only breath that matters is the one you take after the other person isn't breathing. That is the only breathing that matters in a tactical situation. Train like you fight, in battle you will be breathing rapidly and shooting, not holding your breath." Johnny Rimer SO1 (Ret.)
Old April 21, 2008, 07:17 AM   #13
Andy W

I carry a 642 in my front pocket at church.
Old April 21, 2008, 07:33 AM   #14
WESHOOT2

I can still hear my mom (1976 -- 4" Security Six)

"Do you have to wear that thing to church on
Christmas?"
Old April 21, 2008, 07:37 AM   #15
WESHOOT2

I can still hear my mom (here-n-now - I no longer visit church)

"Do you have to wear those things all the time?"

(all my guns are carry guns)
Old April 21, 2008, 08:20 AM   #16
DMacLeod

Back when I was a young buck stationed at Bragg I was on security detail at Christmas Mass. We wore full dress greens. (polished MP helmet, patent leather duty belt, spit shined jump boots, etc) I wouldn't enter wearing my cover or carrying my 45. My partner felt the same way. My thoughts at the time were that a weapon shouldn't be carried in the house of the lord.

But nowadays close to 30 years later I would carry. A lot of things have changed in society in those years. At the very least my Seecamp is always in my pocket, if I am not carrying one of my 45s.
Old April 21, 2008, 08:23 AM   #17
Gbro

Quote:
I have yet to see one that was posted preventing carry.
Minnesota made an exception to the posting law after the 2003 statute was ruled unconstitutional.
Now the churches can post signs in there own words. "Blessed are the peacemakers. Firearms are prohibited in this place of sanctuary"
Or
Just announce there policy to the congregation.
Instead of the words the state said must be posted to prohibit guns.
[If a business wants to enforce its gun ban by using the new law's petty misdemeanor rules regarding possession, the following requirements must be met. A "conspicuous sign" must be posted at every entrance reading "[Name of Business] BANS GUNS IN THESE PREMISES." Additionally, the business must "personally infor[m] the person of the posted request and deman[d] compliance."
Old April 21, 2008, 08:40 AM   #18
Beretta686

I'm confused.......

Doesn't God protect his flock, especially those who take time out of their busy live's to worship him? If your a true Christian why don't you put your faith in God and his ultimate wisdom, because it's all part of his plan? Besides what would he protect more than a church?

It seems a bit arrogant to pray for God's protection but than show him that you have no faith in his protection by carrying a gun.

It should be those evil athiests who need a gun, since God obviously doesn't give his protection to them and he surely smites athiest meetings with derranged gunmen much more often than churches..............

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old April 21, 2008, 08:47 AM   #19
vanguard_anon

I don't care if everybody carries everywhere they go. You can carry at a church, funeral, wedding, movie, hockey game, etc. I only care if you use the weapon (shooting or showing) on a good guy. Assuming that's not your intention, do what ever works for you.
Old April 21, 2008, 08:58 AM   #20
Socrates

God protects those that protect themselves....
Old April 21, 2008, 09:00 AM   #21
sarge83

Colt Detective Special in my pocket or a P32 in my pocket or a glock 19 in other carry arrangements.
Old April 21, 2008, 09:40 AM   #22
stevelyn

In Glock We Trust.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old April 21, 2008, 09:43 AM   #23
Playboypenguin

I do not go to church but I do not see why anyone would not carry there.

The only thing I can think of is people like to use the "Wolf and Sheep" comparison when discussing carrying...sayig that you can be unarmed and be a sheep or armed and a wolf. This might not sit well with the mentality a lot of people have that christians are supposed to be good sheep.
Old April 21, 2008, 09:44 AM   #24
DaveInPA

You left out the "I don't go to church" option.
Old April 21, 2008, 10:17 AM   #25
Technosavant

Quote:
Doesn't God protect his flock, especially those who take time out of their busy live's to worship him? If your a true Christian why don't you put your faith in God and his ultimate wisdom, because it's all part of his plan? Besides what would he protect more than a church?

It seems a bit arrogant to pray for God's protection but than show him that you have no faith in his protection by carrying a gun.
A man was trapped on a sinking boat. He prayed for God's deliverance. A helicopter came, but he refused rescue, saying God will save him. Another boat came, but he again refused rescue for the same reason. Finally, the boat sank and he drowned. When before God, he asked "God, why didn't you save me?"

God replied, "I sent a boat and a helicopter! What more did you want!"

I submit that it is not arrogant to carry tools of defense in church. A church building is only a building, no more sacred than anywhere else the people of God happen to be. Theologically, there's nothing significant about a church building, since the church is the PEOPLE, not the walls and roof. Therefore, under your viewpoint, there's no reason to prepare for defense anywhere, since God will protect His people everywhere.

He doesn't always keep bad things from happening (that's another theological ball of wax, and off topic). So His people should be prepared to handle things. We wear seat belts, maintain insurance coverage, and carry firearms. It is quite clear from history that God doesn't give blanket protection to churches, unless you plan to claim those people killed in a church were not true Christians.

As the preacher, I am armed every time I'm in the building (unless it is an election day, when state laws prohibit CCW in polling places). For sure I'm armed at every worship service, and I have the best field of fire.

As for the "don't go to church" folks, well, this isn't too much different from "what 1911 do you like" and people chime in with "Glock 19." Feel no need to announce to the rest of us your religious preference.
Closed Thread