The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 11, 2008, 09:43 PM   #26
FLA2760

Re shower gun

House locked up security system armed. Bathroom door locked.
Old April 11, 2008, 09:58 PM   #27
Wildalaska

Quote:
Another thing you could do is get an airweight snub and carry it with you everywhere. My 642-2 fits in the pocket of my robe.
You guys evidently aren't nudists

WildpocketswhatpocketsAlaska TM
Old April 11, 2008, 10:47 PM   #28
.351winchester

Specific choice is clear; Every time the subject pops up, one gun is always mentioned, even to those like myself who favor automatics. A .44 special (I would also include .45 ACP) DA revolver, stainless (Chrome, or ultramodern coating, would be preferable IMO but not vital), often a snub but not nessesarily(sp). It's something you could keep in a humid environment, loaded, and pick up years later and have it go bang every time. No Magnums in the house, as some Moms might say, certainly not in the usually smallest room (prolly porting wouldn't be the best idea either). And a .38 would be too light when you could have a .44 or .45. Frangibles in .44 Spl. are one of the few rounds that get a real boost vs. JHP, plus you get the overpenetration issue covered. I'd stack Magsafe with a deep digging hunting JHP, Corbon maybe, not dutch but 2 then 3 solids. There's multiball too, Strike 3 is still around, 3x #1 buck IIRC, I'll take that over a .410 wheelie honestly all things considered. If someone wants a .38, get a fullsize .38 (or better .357 for selection, possibly strength) 4". It would just depend on your hiding spot but I think a GP-100 would stash away easy as a J-frame with a room of possibilities. The Judge is popular, if I had one it would be in this room for this use-000 buck, and .45 LC Glaser (sabot or full slug and bigger birdshot also acceptable, in fact at bathroom distances bird comes into it's own, something I think overrated generally on the 4410 and predecessors). The ability to shoot thru doors-a practice most would discourage-It wouldn't be a bad thing to have a few drillers laying around, if not in the gun, there if your barricaded position is about to be breached, or so on ("HEEEER's Johnny" moment). One reason it sucks to be backed into a corner tactically. Anyway,

I'd use semi-"truck gun" sensibilities, and go Charter Bulldog. Hot showers nightly are hell on metal. Sometimes you see Taurus 4" .45 ACP Trackers (ported) NIB for 300. closeout, or did a while ago at least. I like the idea of speedloaders, think the .45 Tracker was a 6 shot but maybe 5. Get a Colt 1917 and have it cut down to fitz special specs, or leave it alone and Chrome (or Nickel, less durable, more proper) plate it and stick it somewhere quick access (discreet but reasonably safe storage applicable, even if you live alone, your own peice could be turned on you walking thru the door after work one day). An 870 Marine Magnum or 500/590 Mariner even Nickel Stoeger Coachgun double wouldn't be a bad choice in the closet either, maybe a K-mini 14 folder with 18 40 gr. JHP varmint rounds on tap. Old Iron tubs and a solid door and frame/lock and ever present working phone (and possibly an escapable window) and flashlights/self-luminous nightlights turn a bathroom into a safe room. A Titanium or carbon fiber knife can be kept in the shower if you are in that bad of a need for precaution (the woman in Psycho should have had one).

Some places I've had them-under the trashbag in the mini-garbage can, and inside a cutout phonebook; never thought of in the hamper but why would anyone look thru your dirty clothes (well, pervs in the home of a good looking woman), but you'd have to move it all the time. get a crappy old large radio and cut out the back, or an old style scale-disable and seperate it to contain your iron, put top back on in a way you can easily but not accidentally remove or knock off if the door hits it, people see a broken scale, they don't try to fix it...I dunno. A handyman could come up with much more. Toilet paper dispenser that is also the plate/cover for a hidden space just big enough for a big bore snub. Just Yank it off, or slide it up...who knows.

The Sportsman's guide sells picture frames with a hollow cavity behind the pic you frame, swings open. Looks like it has something to hide, but they also have a clock with same qualities, that a Vicodin prowler or panty raider wouldn't even notice is there. That might be the way to cache something in plain sight, now that I think of it, that hollow clock. It's made for handgun storage. (You could also get an electronic pistol box and bolt it to a bathroom closet shelf with theft removal precautions)
none of the others are what i'd want if children or snoops were over, I think a burglar would be looking elsewhere...The more i think about it, while it's never been comfortable for me to carry, period, but maybe on you is the best place for a handgun owned for self defense.

Last edited by .351winchester; April 11, 2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old April 11, 2008, 10:55 PM   #29
Wildalaska

You're joking....

I hope

WildireallyhopeAlaska TM
Old April 11, 2008, 11:00 PM   #30
115scott

On a more positive note ( if there really is one ) I have seen the clocks that have a false back. SG has them for @ $40 Might be a better than in the tank.
Old April 12, 2008, 04:06 PM   #31
Murdock

Jimminy freakin' cricket! I' m outa here.
Old April 12, 2008, 09:08 PM   #32
RetiredMajor

I couldn't figure it out either, so I hired my neighbor to poop for me and I cover him while he does it!
Old April 12, 2008, 10:26 PM   #33
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I couldn't figure it out either, so I hired my neighbor to poop for me and I cover him while he does it!"

I... uh.... uhm.... er.....

I'm outa here.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 13, 2008, 04:47 PM   #34
MADISON

Bathroom gun?

Here is something to think about:
Well it looks like I may have found my Ideal Pistol Safe. No! I did not buy one and did not follow friends recommendations and find an old “Coke Machine” or put a hasp on an old refrigerator.
My wife works in the Pharmacy of the local hospital. The Hospital has been doing some remodeling. Among things they are getting rid of are a bunch of 1950’s KOTEX vending machines. These machines are built out of surplus Sherman Tank Parts and, have stout tamper proof locks, with the capacity of a half-dozen handguns in each one. They are also, painted the sickly yellow color, used in the 1950’s era ad. for femine hygiene products [unlike most commercial products] are not marked, screaming, “Gun Safe to a potential thief.
A few of them have the paint scratched and perhaps a dint here and there. Over the course of time, people have tried to get into these things [Probably for the coins] with everything from crowbars, fire axes to chain saws. Back in the 1950’s they made things stout.
Now if the wife can just find the key to one or more of these boxes, we will be all set. She is checking with Hospital Security on it. True, they may all use the same key but, I doubt it is a currently common lock type or key type. It is undoubtedly a “Factory Controlled” key.
Now, I can go into the thrown room and relax. If I hear an intruder, I can pop a coin and come out blazing.
Old April 13, 2008, 09:07 PM   #35
Elvishead

I'd hate to get caught with my pants down. I actually have a Taurus 608 .357 with 8 Buffalo bores loaded.
Old April 13, 2008, 09:39 PM   #36
WINSTON THE WOLF

Damn never thought about carring in the bath room. But Dutch Schultz got it in the rest room. Hidden camera, monitor in the master bed room and a 44 mag would work.

But will the old. I was in fear of my life from the other side of the door and wall work in court?
Old April 13, 2008, 09:58 PM   #37
JED1177

Duke and Mike.....

handle all security issues when I'm pre-occupied.

This is what happened last time a "varmint" tried to infiltrate the "Rain Room"!

Lesson over........
Old April 13, 2008, 10:01 PM   #38
roy reali

A Dice Game

You guys realize that shooting craps is a dice game.
Old April 13, 2008, 10:09 PM   #39
WINSTON THE WOLF

shooting craps. I would be more worried about blowback and splatter than recoil!!!
Old April 13, 2008, 10:41 PM   #40
si vis pacem, para b

I know I am a new kid on the block around here but I take my chances on saying this..... Isn't that what Hipoints are for? You just throw it in the toilet tank and replace it weekly.
Old April 14, 2008, 03:13 PM   #41
dakotashooter2

Or get one of those tissue box covers. and hide the gun underneath it.
Old April 14, 2008, 03:29 PM   #42
Van55

Bwahahahahahahaha!

Thanks for the levity and the link. "Glock on a rope."
Old April 14, 2008, 03:44 PM   #43
Dwight55

+1 Chris

"I used to laugh at 'bathroom carry' posts, but not so much any more.

When I'm by myself in the house, I'll just place my SP101 on the toilet lid and throw a towel over it.

I'm used to having *someone* in the house, so when it's just me I have these thought like, "what if someone breaks in, I'm in the shower with only soap to throw at them" etc."

Whenever my son and wife are both gone (I am alone, naturally) and I am in the shower, . . . my 1911 or .380 is in the bathroom with me. Paranoid???? Beats having the ground hog deliver my mail from now on.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old April 14, 2008, 04:03 PM   #44
dwatts47

So it may sound silly to take a gun into the bathroom but lets mentally answer a few questions here...

1. How many of us wander through our own homes on condition white?
2. Of you who will admit to that, if you have pets or kids, does it not take basically a noise on par with the roof falling in to get your attention in your home?
3. Since now you realize that you pay much less attention than you thought you did, How close are you paying attention when you're "on the throne" or in the shower.

Unless you're a liar, then the answer is pretty much "not at all".

If I wanted to catch someone completely off guard, unwilling/unable to respond quickly or with their eyes closed, standing on a slick surface, listening to cover noise (shower).. I'd catch them in the bathroom.

so yes I do keep a gun in there.
Old April 14, 2008, 04:31 PM   #45
Boncrayon

random question

I find this a bit humorous. So, if they are out there to “get you” only when you are unclad in the shower, a ZipLock freezer bag would do, Velcro’d to the shower wall to keep the intense moisture from encroaching on the metal parts. If you find yourself on the throne, your belt and holster is conveniently near your right or left shoe. If you are in the bathroom closet, they might not find you at all. Your best investment is in a deadbolt and secondary secure chain lock on your entry door. A lock on your bathroom window will keep a normal person on the outside at bay, except for the Ninja. Forgive me…I’m still chuckling.
Old April 14, 2008, 05:14 PM   #46
seeker_two

The sight of me naked will inspire enough terror....

...adding a firearm would be overkill.....

...but then, a couple of soap-on-a-rope-chuks would be handy....
Old April 14, 2008, 05:32 PM   #47
Moe Howard

You guys laugh at the thought at keeping a gun in the can, but the only time I ever grabbed a gun and pointed it at someone was when the wife and I were in the over sized tub at the resort and we saw a flashlight moving around in the living room. Turned out to be a maintenance man checking on something. We were never quite sure why he just came in like that but I promise you he regretted it. Nothing like seeing a 6' 2" 275 pound, wet, naked, soapy white guy, pointing a gun in your face to ruin your weekend.

Last edited by Moe Howard; April 14, 2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old April 14, 2008, 06:05 PM   #48
oldredneck

Just make sure you grab the right gun if an intruder walks in on you. I missed a nice buck one time because I had the wrong gun in hand at the time he walked out. I had been in my box stand for several hours and my bladder had reached basketball size. I leaned my rifle in the corner, picked up the empty plastic milk jug and proceeded to relieve myself, looking around me all the time. I looked down to shake off and zip up and when I looked up a very nice eight point was standing about ten yards away looking directly at me. We had a Mexican standoff for what seemed to be 15 minutes before I grabbed for my rifle and he broke and ran. All I could see was a white flag and since I don't believe in taking those Texas heart shots I just watched him disappear into the plantation pines.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my handgun
Old April 14, 2008, 06:28 PM   #49
AUSTRIANGUNNER

Cheap "Safe Room"

Bathroom. Every house has one or more. A reenforced lock is a good idea. Some part of the door might be armored, but remember that you or the spouse may have to fire through some portion of the door. In our main john there is an AMT .45 Backup under the far sink in our crapper, stuck into a hole drilled on the inside of the vanity with a piece of simple dowel-rod of proper caliber. Gun is stainless, so it is OK there for awhile. Any gun would work, and could be mounted in horizontal- or vertical-position, just so the kids don't see it. Or use kid-proof door-thingies. Have regular drills on how to get all the at-home family into the john, though. JMHO
Old April 14, 2008, 07:50 PM   #50
Mark Milton

Laugh all you want, but in reality, this is a serious topic. Remember Caliber Press' Street Survival book had a chapter about what to do with your gun when you are in a public toilet.

Jeff Cooper also adressed that one....

Personally, I can think of several homicides and attempted homicides where some goofball attempted to go Norman Bates on somebody in the shower. It happens. If it happens, do you want to depend on a bar of soap to fight for you life?

I keep a pistol in a holster under some towls in the towel shelf. the towels keep moisture from getting on the gun. For several months I kept a .45 SAA clone there, but I put the Glock 19 back up last night, as I got a nice leather holster for the Peacemaker copy.

Its not a bad idea to secret guns around your home either for two reasons.
Number one, if you get attacked, you have a weapon near by.
Last year we had a particularly brutal home invasion where a 90 year old woman got attacked by two thugs and beaten.
If she had an old .38 nearby, that could have changed things in her favor.
Number two, if you get robbed, its doubtful the guy is going to look for a gun in the kitchen and crapper after he has searched the bedroom and found a prize.