The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 14, 2008, 07:55 PM   #51
Avenger11

Tactical Question? Wipe or shoot first!
Old April 14, 2008, 08:03 PM   #52
vox rationis

hehe I like that shotgun-o-plunger! "shotgun-o-plunger, for when the [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] refuses to lay down and stay down!"

but seriously, when in the bathroom I look to OO7 for inspiration: I keep an Aquanet Hairspray can and lighter handy..
Old April 14, 2008, 08:21 PM   #53
WIN71

Deception

Make an audio tape of your wife singing in the shower. Put the tape and the Rottweiler in the bedroom closet. Take your bath upstairs.
Old April 14, 2008, 09:01 PM   #54
SilentHitz

Quote:
Tactical Question? Wipe or shoot first!
Shoot, you're probably gonna have to wipe again anyways after a shootout in the can.
Old April 14, 2008, 10:26 PM   #55
armoredman

Good point.
Old April 15, 2008, 11:55 AM   #56
NightSleeper

Quote:
For a good laugh about this subject, see this thread

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...uns+of+polymer
That's the funniest thread I've read in a long time ....

and come to think of it, so is this one
Old April 15, 2008, 12:15 PM   #57
nvhunter2

I don't have a bathroom gun, but its a good reason to get a new gun.
Old April 15, 2008, 06:38 PM   #58
Stevie-Ray

If I am dressed, the P32 serves with distinction in my back pocket, even draped on the floor. But I must confess that after my wife goes to bed, if I stay up late and especially when in my "jammies", the HKUSP45C that normally rests on the nightstand, goes with me all over the house. So it becomes my pooper popper sitting on the vanity counter, sits next to me while at my lounger, goes out into the kitchen for that midnight snack, pretty much becomes my constant companion until it again resides on the nightstand. I've never had a gun handy while showering, but I imagine I'll come up with something as I retire and spend more time at home.
Old April 18, 2008, 12:15 PM   #59
rcl4144

every room

I have a weapon in every room including the bathroom. I've had a SW 38 special snub nose in my bathroom in a cabinet over the john for years and never a problem with humidity or moister of any kind. My bedside weapon is a 12 Gage pump 18" Barrel with 5 rounds of 00 Buck....little messy but gets the point across...I'm like you and don't carry in the house but am at the ready at all times.....Not paranoid just safe.....

RL
Old April 18, 2008, 03:14 PM   #60
KCabbage

Greetings.
For quite some time I kept my Kel-tec P32 above the mirror/medicine cabinet. The humidity never caused a problem for me. Hide a subcompact glock in there and you should have no rust issues. Or just oil it down every once in a while.
Great thread! My bathroom is next to my back door and if anyone had the nerve to kick it in while I was taking a bath I would be in trouble.
If you can't think of a good/safe place for it, try one of those picture frames that can conceal a gun. Or put you pistol in a failsafe plastic bag and put it in the tank of your toilet, as long as you don't have kids.
Take care
Take care
Old April 18, 2008, 07:18 PM   #61
Avenger11

Iv'e read that Glock's will shoot under water, so why not just keep one in the tank.So when your accosted on the throne, it's there for you!
Old April 18, 2008, 07:43 PM   #62
blind_shooter

Quote:
Iv'e read that Glock's will shoot under water, so why not just keep one in the tank.So when your accosted on the throne, it's there for you!
Now that I think about it. That is a good place for a glock to be kept. And if something were to happen, imagine the look on the BG's face as you pull a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] out the toilet and unload some hollow points at him with it.

I usually poop with one hand on my gun and the other with some TP. Just in case I need to take care of business while dropping the kids off at the pool.

— Mahatma Gandhi
Old April 18, 2008, 07:51 PM   #63
ActivShootr

I think keeping a gun in the tank is not a good idea. The "clank" of the lid might alert an intruder as to your whereabouts. Keeping one in a cabinet however, you could ease open the door and grab it without making a sound and catch the intruder by suprise if he opens the door.
Old April 18, 2008, 08:32 PM   #64
KCabbage

If you go the tank route, use a plastic baggy. The glock will survive, but I wouldn't want to keep my ammo in that water too long. If time was against you, just shoot it in while it's in the bag.
Put a little shelf on the wall, put a plant on it fake or real, and put the gun inside the pot.
Find some sort of decoration and stick it in there somewhere.
If you don't have any kids, get an old box of Mr. Bubbles, dump it out, put the pistol in and place it somewhere by the tubby.
The possibilities are endless!
Take care
Old April 19, 2008, 10:23 AM   #65
tulsamal

Quote:
A .44 special (I would also include .45 ACP) DA revolver, stainless (Chrome, or ultramodern coating, would be preferable IMO but not vital), often a snub but not nessesarily(sp).

I'd use semi-"truck gun" sensibilities, and go Charter Bulldog.
I agree with most of that reasoning but I would take a Rossi 720 over a Charter Arms Bulldog any day. I have both models, the one with adjustable sights and the one with a bobbed hammer and fixed sights (and DA only). The DA only one is at the gunsmith. He has it working right now and he must have liked what he saw because he asked me if I would sell it to him!

Gregg
Old April 19, 2008, 10:42 AM   #66
htshot

I think you are a bit paranoid.There are medications for this and you should look into getting some. Do you have certian guns you carry for different ocasions, such as going to Mcdonalds or Wal Mart ? Perhaps larger calibers for bigger events?
Old April 19, 2008, 12:07 PM   #67
KCabbage

That's a bit rude! It's actually a good idea. Especially if you live in a dangerous area or know people who want you dead!
Old April 19, 2008, 03:06 PM   #68
Johnc

I have seen this thread for a while now and have been strategically attempting to avoid it. Curiosity got the better of me. That being said. One question comes to my mind that is begging for an answer. Where the hell do you guys live?? If you seriously need stash a gun in your bathroom move.

If you must, +1 on the idea of an air weight in your robe. What next, Claymores on the perimeter?
Old April 19, 2008, 05:22 PM   #69
SilentHitz

Quote:
If you seriously need stash a gun in your bathroom move.
Not everyone can afford to move, or like myself, REFUSE to let the criminal element run me out of my home. I'm a paraplegic, so if I'm in the tub when someone comes in my home, I can't very well say " Time out Mr. bad guy, I have to get in my wheelchair and go get a weapon to defend myself." I'm going to contiune placing my .45 in the seat of my chair while I'm in the can...and no I don't store one in there, it goes everywhere I go.

A firearm is the only means of self defense I have as an option, so make fun if you wish. My survival instinct is too strong to let that bother me...have a nice day.
Old April 19, 2008, 05:37 PM   #70
Johnc

Quote:
Not everyone can afford to move, or like myself, REFUSE to let the criminal element run me out of my home. I'm a paraplegic, so if I'm in the tub when someone comes in my home, I can't very well say " Time out Mr. bad guy, I have to get in my wheelchair and go get a weapon to defend myself." I'm going to contiune placing my .45 in the seat of my chair while I'm in the can...and no I don't store one in there, it goes everywhere I go.

You Sir, clearly exist as the exception in this case. You have my apology and my respect for holding your ground.
Old April 19, 2008, 06:21 PM   #71
SilentHitz

Quote:
You Sir, clearly exist as the exception in this case. You have my apology and my respect for holding your ground.
I took no offense, so there's no need for an apology, but would like to know why I am the exception here. Don't all the men and women here keep a weapon in their home for defense? I you're willing to keep a firearm to defend the rest of your home, why not where you are most vundurable(sp)...neked and in the can?

Just the sight of me neked would probably make them run, but I ain't gonna bank on that. I think the folks that throw the word "Paranoid" around, just aren't thinking before they post...I call it being prepared for something you hope will never happen. Silent out...
Old April 19, 2008, 07:55 PM   #72
Recon7

I keep a gun in a supersecret hiding place in my bathroom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gun3.JPG (91.7 KB, 117 views)
Old April 20, 2008, 06:19 AM   #73
Johnc

Quote:
but would like to know why I am the exception here
I think you answered your own question when you made the comment:
Quote:
if I'm in the tub when someone comes in my home, I can't very well say " Time out Mr. bad guy, I have to get in my wheelchair and go get a weapon to defend myself."
I would do the same thing if I were you. You need to be prepared. We all do. Just some of us need to be prepared to a greater or lesser degree depending on circumstances. As far as paranoid goes, my neighbors probably think I am. I live in a very nice neighborhood, yet I am prepared. I have night vision cameras outside my house, an alarm, a dog and multiple locks on the doors. I am sure they wonder why. Guess who's door bell rings when something happens in the neighborhood? Yep, mine. The question has come up a few times, " Did you get anything on your surveillance cameras?"
Old April 20, 2008, 09:18 AM   #74
KCabbage

Go Silent, go silent.
He just schooled you son.
P.S. No neighborhood is completely safe.
Old April 20, 2008, 11:01 AM   #75
bikerbill

I keep my "dog walking" gun ... Taurus PT25 -- in its pocket holster in the storage cabinet over the toilet, which is in a small room by itself in the bathroom ... I grab it when out walking the dog, then return it when we're done. would hate to hear somebody breaking in when I'm on the can and have only an old Road & Track to defend myself with ...