The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 20, 2008, 11:55 AM   #76
SilentHitz

Quote:
I think you answered your own question when you made the comment:
Quote:
if I'm in the tub when someone comes in my home, I can't very well say " Time out Mr. bad guy, I have to get in my wheelchair and go get a weapon to defend myself."
I still fail to see why the fact I'm in a wheelchair makes it more acceptable to "carry in the can" than someone who isn't. I did the same thing long before I was injured. If your are surprised by an intruder when you're wet and neked, it doesn't matter if you have to roll, or run to get a weapon. You're still caught with your pants down...so to speak.

As you stated, you live in a very nice neighborhood, but not everyone can say that. You yourself said we must ALL be prepared, and the description of your security setup sounds like you are also. I think most of us here agree with BikerBill...we all want more than a magazine for defense when taking care of "business".
Old April 20, 2008, 08:26 PM   #77
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
You Sir, clearly exist as the exception in this case. You have my apology and my respect for holding your ground.
With respect, no he does not. Some of us fully intended to move when we were able, and are now victims of the housing crunch. My house has lost about $47000 of it's value in the last 5 years as I patiently waited for retirement. I retire week after next. No, I am not going anywhere for a while, probably about 3-5 years until things get back to a normal I can live with. That is until the bath I take on my house is something I can live with. We don't have a lot of crime here, and I credit the people's will to defend themselves with that. But living in close proximity to Detroit, why take chances? You call that paranoid? I call it smart. I'm glad you live in a near-perfect neighborhood. I wish I could, but it's not in the cards yet.
Old April 21, 2008, 08:59 AM   #78
Daniel Shays

Great thread. LMAO. But truly, it only makes sense to be protected wherever you are in your home, car, place of business. I assume that most of you also keep the proper type of fire extinguishers at the ready also? You keep your batteries fresh in your smoke detectors and CO detectors, right? It is all about safety after all.

As far as moving, it may be wise to avoid crime prone areas in general but a law abiding person has a right to live peacefully wherever he chooses. Some can not move for any number of reasons, some love their home and may not want to move. They should not have to. As long as they realize that there is a cost to stay. Unfortunately that cost can be the state charging them after they have to defend themselves.

But back on the subject:
I usually have a knife of some sort around as well but I am, however, a little leery of unsheathed knives in my presence when my pants are down.
Old April 21, 2008, 12:58 PM   #79
dralarms

You are going to think I'm nuts (no pun intended), but if I'm on the can I have a video monitor that I can watch all sides of the house and the main entrance to my bedroom, I have a Bersa 380 with 3 extra mags on a shelf in the closet and a Taurus 40 hidden to where no man can find it. If I'm in the hot tub, I can still see the monitor and have my para ord 14.45lda on a towel setting on the throne. My opinion is "come at me if you must, but I WILL NOT go quitely".
Old April 21, 2008, 02:16 PM   #80
parrothead2581

I just keep my CCW on my person until it is time for bed.

No need to stash one in the bathroom then.
Old April 21, 2008, 03:31 PM   #81
bikerbill

LMACO at Recon7 ... verrrrry creative!
Old April 22, 2008, 07:26 AM   #82
tipoc

Apparently there needs to be a separate thread for every room in the house.

Just a question, if you have to come here to figure this out should you really be allowed to have a gun?

tipoc