The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 20, 2006, 11:13 AM   #1
9mm1033

Ruger No. 1 for varmints...

I've always liked single shot rifles. I'm getting back into varmint hunting, mostly groundhogs, etc. I'm considering looking at the Ruger No. 1 in .223 caliber. Anyone have experience with this brand? I do think the MSRP is high. Maybe it's not worth the price.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...=1330&return=Y
Old December 20, 2006, 11:51 AM   #2
hodaka

I think a #1 is one of the best looking rifles on the market, but............. you will likely need to work harder to get accuracy than you would with a bolt gun. A Remington VSS or a Savage will be more accurate, and not as pretty.
Old December 20, 2006, 01:00 PM   #3
Ausserordeutlich

ditto, what hodaka said! Get a Savage, Remmy, etc., bolt rifle.
Old December 20, 2006, 01:51 PM   #4
9mm1033

Thanks. I wasn't keen on the 1:12 twist anyway. Plus the cost. Probably best to stick to a bolt action rifle designed specifically for varmint shooting.
Old December 21, 2006, 07:52 PM   #5
dgludwig

I've heard all the horror stories about the Ruger No. 1's lack of intrinsic accuracy and/or the need to perform some radical bedding modifications in order to get it to shoot decently but, in my case, the absolute opposite has been true. I bought a new No.1 Varmint, chambered in .220 Swift, over ten years ago and, with factory (Hornady) ammunition, this rifle is the most accurate "out-of-the-box" rifle I've ever fired in a life-time (50 plus years) of shooting. Furthermore, an old friend of mine has a No. 1, chambered in .22-250, that is extremely accurate.

Our experiences may well be exceptions to the rule but, if so, what fabulous exceptions they are!
Old December 21, 2006, 08:51 PM   #6
slabsides
Member In Memoriam

Add another fabulous exception here: I have a very early #1, four digit serial, in the scarce .222 Remington caliber. Have had it in the safe since the 1960's. I don't use it much, because I don't want to damage its truly gorgeous stocking, but on the occasions when I feel like doing the maharajah thing, it has performed superbly, with groups under a half MOA (on one occasion, passing the rifle between two shooters, we produced a five-shot single-hole group at slightly less than a hundred yards, using a log and rolled jacket forend rest, while 'chuck hunting.) I HAVE known #1's that had an accuracy problem. In a few cases, it was sloppy stock work, easily corrected. In at least one instance, it was a barrel that just wouldn't shoot. The #1's that you can buy new today are supposed to be better than ever, though how they could be better than my old 5xxx I do not know. Still, if you enjoy the luxury and beauty of the single shot, and can afford one, and you get a good one, you will have a lifetime keeper.