The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 12, 2009, 09:02 AM   #26
#18indycolts

Quote:
Glock Headlines and News A random sampling from around the web.
wow, only 7 bad glock stories in the entire country? not too bad for a gun then, thanx for pointing out that glocks rarely go bad, they must be a great gun. i think i'll go buy another one.
Old October 12, 2009, 09:07 AM   #27
madmag

gglass, if nothing Else, your list certainly dispels the "perfection" notion.

Quote:
The simple explanation for the seemingly large number of KB's in Glocks is because there are a bagillion of them floating around = the more chances you have of finding lemons.
I guess if we follow that logic then there are bagillions of 1911 Kabooms. I guess people just don't report those.

I did hear about a P90 Kaboom once. A friend of a friend that heard it from yet another party said they heard about a P90 kaboom. But when pressed they could not come up with the actual location and facts.

Last edited by madmag; October 12, 2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old October 12, 2009, 09:24 AM   #28
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I guess if we follow that logic then there are bagillions of 1911 Kabooms. I guess people just don't report those."

Why should one type of issue/failure be telegraphed exactly to another kind of gun?

The 1911's failure chain used to be their inability to feed reliably anything other than hardball without a fair amount of work.

Over time, that issue was resolved as different manufacturers changed their designs to accommodate the fact that hardball wasn't the only game in town anymore.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 12, 2009, 10:01 AM   #29
Dave T

After 45 years of handgun shooting, competing and instructing classes I have never personally seen a Glock let go. I have witnessed three so called KBs in 1911 style weapons. Two of those resulted in bulged barrels, one of which blew off the grips. The third one actually caused the chamber to burst.

Based on this I should believe Glocks are perfect and 1911s are duds. Neither is true. No mechanical devise designed or built by man is infallible. Glocks are pretty good guns. Most 1911s are pretty good guns. The difference is that all Glocks are pretty much the same. There are so many makers of 1911s that no universal statement can be made about quality because some are very good and some are pretty bad.

My $.02 worth,
Dave
Old October 12, 2009, 10:07 AM   #30
madmag

Quote:
Why should one type of issue/failure be telegraphed exactly to another kind of gun?
Fair question. Because it was implied that you can expect kabooms from Glock because so many are are use. I was simply using an example that counters that argument.

Glocks are good guns. But I believe they do have more kabooms than they should have, even given the number in circulation. I think this is due to design issues. But all guns have some design imperfections. I will buy a G26 but I am staying away from the .40 & .45 Glocks. Just my preference. But I will say one more time.......Glocks are good guns and deserve lots of credit for innovative designs.

Quote:
The 1911's failure chain used to be their inability to feed reliably anything other than hardball without a fair amount of work.
Agree.

Added:
Quote:
After 45 years of handgun shooting
I have been shooting for 60 years. The fact is when you and I started shooting there were no Glocks.

Last edited by madmag; October 12, 2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old October 12, 2009, 10:42 AM   #31
DBAR

Quote:
The G21 is the exact same platform/parts as the G20 which is a 10mm. The 10mm delivers much more pressure and punishment to a gun than the very low-pressure .45acp.

The G21 is overbuilt if anything. It wasn't the gun's fault.
It may not of been the guns fault, but the one weak point of the Glock design has always been the support of the chamber. If you have an over pressured load, or a squib that creates excess pressure, then there will be a problem with that unsupported area of the chamber. I don't think the G21 is "over built", but I don't think it's got any real design flaws. If I had something to do with the design of the Glock, I'd have designed a fully supported chamber into the already proven design. Then, you'd be able to say that it was an "over built" gun. If you had a fully supported chamber, and had an over pressured round, then the results of the "kaboom" may not be as bad.

With all that being said, I love my Glock 36. I carry it every day, and it's the handiest handgun I've ever handled chambered for the .45 acp cartridges. It's accurate, reliable, and concealable. I haven't found another handgun in .45 acp that I like better for daily carry.

DBAR
Old October 12, 2009, 10:53 AM   #32
madmag

DBAR, seems like a logical post to me. I have an XD service, but I just don't like the balance of the XD sub. I do like the G26. It will probably rise to the top as my most often carried. As soon as I pry the money out of my wife's hands. This could be a long wait.
Old October 12, 2009, 11:45 AM   #33
Sturmgewehre

If the problem stemmed from a double charge, or even an over charge in the propellant, then any firearm I've had experience with would have been rendered inoperable most likely (from a double charge perspective).

I've seen what happens to a 1911 that's been double charged first hand. The magazine follower, floor plate and spring were ejected through the bottom of the magazine well. The magazine body was form fitted to the magazine well and took quite an effort to get it out. The grips were blown off the pistol.

The rest of the 1911 was for the most part unharmed. The barrel was replaced for good measure. That 1911 is still running to this day... but it would have been taken out of a fight should it have happened in a self defense situation.

I've also seen what happens to a USP .45 that's fired a double charged round, it's not pretty and resulted in a destroyed lower.

So what happened to the Glock was more severe than what would have happened to something like a 1911 in terms of damage to the pistol, the shooters in both cases were for the most part unharmed and that's the most important issue.
Old October 12, 2009, 12:06 PM   #34
madmag

Glock is a good gun....Glocks will fail.

Glock, S&W, Colt, etc. are all just mechanical devices. It's not a question of will they fail, just when. We all know that some people do tend to come to believe that their brand of gun will not fail, but that's just because they have not shot that gun enough. Shoot enough and they will all fail....period.

I will stop, I have used up all my knowledge....not hard to do.

Glocks are good handguns and I would trust one enough to protect me and my family.
Old October 12, 2009, 05:50 PM   #35
jgcoastie

Quote:
If you have an over pressured load, or a squib that creates excess pressure, then there will be a problem with that unsupported area of the chamber.
Not only will it cause problems with an unsupported chamber, it will cause problems in any chamber, from any maker, no matter how well or poorly supported, period.

Please tell me of one semi-auto out there that will reliably feed and function double-charged/overloaded rounds, or a gun that will safely cycle the round following a squib.

There are none. (EDIT: Except maybe the S&W 460 when loading .45 Colt. Double-charge a .45 Colt and the 460 would likely digest it.) If such a gun existed we would all rush out and buy one, but we wouldn't be able to CC it as it would likely weigh 15lbs and be about as big as a mini-howitzer...

All guns will fail if fed double-charged or significantly over-charged loads. Likewise, all guns will fail if the shooter squeezes another round off after a squib when the bullet is still in the chamber. No matter what you do, you can't defeat the laws of physics...

FWIW: 1911's are far from "perfect" as well...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old October 13, 2009, 09:12 AM   #36
DBAR

Quote:
Not only will it cause problems with an unsupported chamber, it will cause problems in any chamber, from any maker, no matter how well or poorly supported, period.
I'm not an expert, and I don't claim to be one. It make sense, to say that the unsupported area of the chamber could create more damage than a fully supported chamber? That's just simple logic....

Another thought.... You may have a round that has been over charged by just a little? Maybe the "powder drop" at the factory just spit out a 1 more grain of powder? The round then finds it's way into your gun. Your gun has a fully supported chamber, and when the round goes off, there is no real issue. Maybe, just more felt recoil, and you think to yourself, Wow that was a "Hot" one. Now, say that same round finds it's way into a Glock chamber that isn't fully supported. I think we can all agree that the results might be a little different. I would think the chances of this happening are slim, very slim. This is a scenario that one gun manufacturer against another could argue. Not likely.... Again, with all that said, I carry my Glock 36 everyday.

DBAR
Old October 13, 2009, 02:31 PM   #37
jgcoastie

Quote:
Not only will it cause problems with an unsupported chamber, it will cause problems in any chamber (though possibly to a lesser degree), from any maker, no matter how well or poorly supported, period.
That better?
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old October 13, 2009, 05:06 PM   #38
madmag

BTW,

There are other ways to get higher pressure rounds. Set-back can cause pressure increase similar to over charge. This can range from a little to a lot of pressure increase...depending on the set-back. I have had this happen. Most recently was with Blazer Brass. In this case, an un-supported chamber will have problems before a fully supported chamber.....just mechanics.

Added:

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/kb-notes.html

Read annotation#3. Reference is the .40 but same set-back issue applies to all calibers.

Last edited by madmag; October 13, 2009 at 07:48 PM.