The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 16, 2001, 10:10 PM   #1
Mike in VA

Beretta Tomcat & Corbon ammo - Heads-up

Last Friday night a bunch of NoVA TFLers meet at the NRA range for some shooting and comaraderie. It's always a pleasure to meet fellow TFLers in person.

There was a casualty of the evening, however. I have Beretta Tomcat with approximately a thousand rounds thru it. It's one of those little guns that gets carried a lot, shot once or twice a year. My normal carry round is either a Federal Hydra-Shok or Speer Gold Dot, both are 60 gr JHP's rated at approx 950 fps and 130 ft/lbs.. When Corbon camoout with their .32 +P offering (1050 fps, 150 ft/lbs, I figured I'd give it a try, mouse on steroids, if you will.

Beretta includes a litlle card with Tomcat whe I bought it (9/98, before Corbon had an offering) that warns that the recommended loads include the Federal H/S, Gold Dot, and Win Silvertips 60 gr JHPs, or 71 gr. ball, with the warning that higher energy stuff would accelerate wear & tear (this is not an epephiny, same caveat applies for any handgun).

At any rate, I blew off the two mags full of H/s that I had been carrrying, then loaded up with the Corbons. I proceeded to squeeze a few off, they seemed a bit more zesty than the H/s, but not bad. On the sixth round, however, the slide locked back, the slide stop ( the metal bridge between the two slide frame rails forward of the breech block) sheared off, and that was that.

I'm not pointing any fingers, just relating the experience. I called Beretta today, they said send it on in, they'd take care of it. So far so good. The Corbon stuFF is about 15% more energetic than teh recommended loads, but a busted slide is more than accelerated wear & tear in my book. FWIW.

Anyone else with similar experience? I'll let y'all know what happens with Beretta. ITMT, be careful with that Corbon stuff in light .32's

Best regards. M2
Old July 16, 2001, 10:22 PM   #2
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the heads-up, I'd been considering the stuff for my Tomcat, but was a little leery of the results. I believe I'll stick with Silvertips.
Old July 16, 2001, 10:26 PM   #3
Las Vegan Cajun

Mike......Thanks for the warning. I have a 3032 Tomcat that I carry all the time for now due to the summer heat in Las Vegas and wearing as light of clothing as possible it's a very easily concealable gun.

I will stick to my Federal H/S loads.
Old July 17, 2001, 08:52 AM   #4
WIL TERRY

TOMCATS AND CORBON

IN ALL OUR ORIGINAL RESTING OF OUR 32ACP-60 WE USED A WALTHER PP, AN NAA GUARDIAN, MY BERETTA T-100 TARGET PISTOL, [A KEL-TEC 32 LATER], AND A BERETTA TOMCAT BELONGING TO A LOCAL PEACE OFFICER. THIS LAST PISTOL WAS THE SNOOTIEST OF THE LOT FOR SURE BUT GAVE US NO REALLY BIG PROBLEMS. LATER BERETTA INCLUDED IN THEIR LITERATURE WITH THESE 32 PISTOLS TO THE EFFECT THEY SHOULD NOT BE SHOT WITH 32 AMMUNITION DEVELOPING OVER 130LBS OF ENERGY. THE CORBON LOADS DEVELOPE 150LBS OF ENERGY.
THE CORBON 32ACP-60 AMMUNITION MEETS SAAMI SPECIFICATIONS FOR CHAMBER PRESSURE.
Old July 17, 2001, 08:57 AM   #5
Walt Sherrill

Its always been my understanding that Corbon ammo tends to be less consistent than other ammos with regard to power/projective speed. (This some attribute to a lot of problems with quality control.)

I had a Tomcat for about a year and finally got rid of it. Lots of broken firing pins (even though I was using snap caps), a tendency -- due to my large hand and the position of the barrel release -- for the barrel to pop up at the wrong time, and the final straw, the slide locking back, off track, requiring a nylon mallet to get it back in position.

That was my second Tomcat; the first being replaced under warranty for reasons never explained to me.

Two was enough. If I were going to carry a .32, it would be the locked-breech Kel-Tec P-32. I carry a small 9mm, instead.
Old July 17, 2001, 10:15 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Dang, Mike!

I didn't realize that, and I was shooting next to you, and eating dinner across from you.

Sorry to hear that...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 17, 2001, 10:45 AM   #7
glockdoc

I've read many posts to the effect that the Tomcat was not built to last. I like Corbon ammo, but I shoot guns that are meant to be shot.
Old July 17, 2001, 04:42 PM   #8
thisaway

Last Christmas, I purchased a new Beretta Tomcat 3032WB Inox. The WB has a wider, heavier slide that I believe is intended to soak up the recoil energy of the new high-performance loads. I have had no problems with it shooting ball, but I haven't tried JHPs in it. I'll try to pick some up and post a thread with range results.
Old July 17, 2001, 09:36 PM   #9
7th Fleet

I have heard since around the time that they came out that the Tomcats had a projected life expectancy of around 1K rounds. I bought the Keltec P-32 and it has been 100 percent reliable as a LEO backup weapon and is lighter, smaller and flatter. I hat that the thread on P-32s was closed, because I wanted to put my 2cents in on what a fine little gun that they are. I have 6 friends that have bought them and none have experienced any malfunctions as of yet. Mine has around 500 rounds throught it, mostly Silvertips and Fiocchi hard ball.
7th
Old July 17, 2001, 09:48 PM   #10
aerod1

I love my little Tomcat so I will stay with Winchester Silvertips. This is what I have been carrying on these hot Texas summer days.
Jim Hall
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old July 18, 2001, 10:06 PM   #11
Mike in VA

The Beretta disclaimer notice that came with my Tomcat says that it "is a small, lightweight pistol made for self-defense. Ammunition currently available and suited for teh 3032 Tomcat include 60 grain Winchester Silvertip, 60 grain Speer Gold Dot, 65 grain Federal Hydra-Shok, and a number of lower velocity 71 grain rounds, all of which have muzzle energy of not greater that 130 foot/pounds. Firing teh pistol with higher energy ammunition will increase wear and tear. If you have questions concerning whether teh round you wish to fire exceeds these recommended energy levels, consult your firearms dealer, teh current edition of Gun Digest or contact the ammuntion manufacturer."

It didn't say don't use it, just the usual accelerated wear that would happen with extensive use of any +P round. I have used a fair amount of Corbon in my other guns (9mm, .38/357, .45) with no ill results, but I don't feed any of them with a steady diet of +P. I fire enough to verify reliable functioning of it as a carry round, which was my intent with the Tomcat.

I phoned Beretta, Monday morning, they said send it in, they'd take care of it, FedExed it yesterday, will let y'all know how it turns out. I, too, had hear the rumors of poor life expectancy, but I have a hard time believing that Beretta would put out a POS intentionally. I bought the gun in fall of '98, put not quite 1000 rounds thru to date. It was realtively new on the market, so I may have gotten a lemon. More later, M2
Old July 25, 2001, 03:19 PM   #12
Mike in VA

Update: Beretta comes thru!

I just received a FedEx with a brand new replacement for my [mortally] wounded Tomcat. I sent it off just last Tuesday, so I'd say that was pretty responsive. I will give them a call to say 'Thanks" and get a reading on Corbon. The replacement had teh same disclaimer card as the original, so I bet they stand by the 130 or less ft/lbs recommendation. FWIW
Old July 26, 2001, 12:25 PM   #13
Russ

Mike,

Thanks for the heads up on this. I like my little Tomcat. I haven't shot anything that would blow the gun up but I thinking about getting some Corbon. I think I will now stick to the recommended stuff for this gun.

Russ
Old July 26, 2001, 07:49 PM   #14
Captain

It's funny that Beretta repaired the gun with no problem if you used an ammunition that wasn't suitable for that particular firearm. I'd have to say the issue here is the fragility of the small Beretta pistol. I have a Seecamps 32 that we put over 200 of the COR-BON loading thru with not even a bobble! And that is supposed to be a more fragile piece! I carry that combination everyday as a backup and feel very comfortable with both!