The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 12, 2002, 07:05 AM   #1
Pico

Kel Tec range report

I also posted this on KTOG...FYI:

I finally shot my P11 last night after getting it at a gunshow two weeks ago. I brought Winchester and Blazer 115 gr range ammo, Ga Arms 124 gr NATO, and Federal Hydrashocks 135 gr. I also brought my CZ 75 BD and Colt Agent 38 spl shooting 125 gr Winchester FMJ along for a comparison.

I bought it as a gun to leave in my car and an occasional CCW piece. I realize it is designed for the range or pleasure shooting.

As it turns out, this little beast is a lot of fun to shoot. The little P11 fed and ejected all ammo types with no problems. Recoil was a little stronger than my CZ but not as much as I thought. It was easily controllable and held and I have extra large hands. I cleaned the pistols (all pistols) thoroughly before shooting and after. A practice I've always followed. Note, I have not modified the P11 with any accessories or fluff and buff procedures.

Up to 30 ft, both 9 mm pistols had about the same accuracy. The CZ maybe being a little more consistent, mainly becuase I'm more used to it. After 30 ft, accuracy definitely suffers on the P11 as it was much easier for me to hit accurately with the CZ. This will improve with practice. To be honest, I'm not that good a shot compared to the claims others on these forums make. At 50 ft, I can hit a paper plate OK with my CZ but nothing like what I read on the TFL.

Compared to the .38 Colt, the P11 shot much easier and more accurately by far. (I've never been able to shoot this snubbie worth a damn.) If my wife would allow it, I would trade the Colt off and get another Kel Tec in a heartbeat. - She won't budge, the Colt is HER GUN ! - The recoil was much better than the .38's. Overall, I feel there is no comparison between the two. If in doubt, buy a Kel Tec anyday.

I intend to order the mag extension and trigger shoe although to be honest, the grip and trigger weren't nearly as bad as I've read about and I would be happy without these things. This P11 is in the 121XXX serial number range BTW and came in a black plastic box not the cardboard carton.

Pico
Old December 12, 2002, 07:38 AM   #2
22lovr

A couple of questions....

Pico: Did you buy it new? And, if you don't mind, what was the carry-home price? I've owned both a P11 and P32 and consider them a best buy for the buck. I also left both of mine box stock. Thanks for sharing.
Old December 12, 2002, 08:06 AM   #3
Pico

Price

No problem...

The price was $219 NIB. With tax and fees I paid around 235.

----
Oh yeah, there was a typo in my posting:

"I bought it as a gun to leave in my car and an occasional CCW piece. I realize it is NOT designed for the range or pleasure shooting."
----

This is a very nice little gun which succeeds in its mission 100%. When Ayoob suggested we give all of our miltary one of these for carry I laughed but he may have a good idea. I bet Kel-Tec would love that contract!

BTW, while I was shooting the KT the other night, a gentleman at the range walked over and handed me his gun and said," Try this." This was a S&W .44 magnum Model 29 in stainless with a 5 inch barrel. He had light handloads in it and after firing it I was amazed at the accuracy and smoothness of this gun. No wonder Dirty Harry always survived gun fights.

I'm normally a semi-auto type of guy, I know the ammo and gun purchase would bankrupt me, but it was a awesome weapon and I could buy one if I would and I'd shoot the hell out of it.

Pico
Old December 12, 2002, 08:10 AM   #4
Pico

Purchase additional...

I bought it at the Georgia Mountain gun show when it rolled through our town. The vendor was a pawn shop in Chickamauga GA I believe. Very nice folks to deal with...

I can give their address when I get home today if you need it. I still have their business card in the gun case.

Pico
Old December 12, 2002, 01:30 PM   #5
yzguy

depending on how much you like to tinker, you may be interested in an easy modification to a P-11 finger extension that will allow you to use the S&W 12 round mags in the P-11 with a shorter over all hight than the 10 round + finger extension (not to mention 2 more rounds):
http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/sw12.htm
(it is what I carry)

Old December 12, 2002, 07:09 PM   #6
Pico

Mag extension

Looks interesting. I will probably just go with the pinkie shelf and 10+1 for now. Maybe later I might try the 12 or 15 round extensions. Any opinion on the belt clip and trigger shoe?

Pico
Old December 12, 2002, 07:58 PM   #7
yzguy

http://www.ktog.org/vbulletin/showth...&threadid=2816

I love the trigger shoe... Did not like the belt clip though, didn't like the gun touching me, and I did not want sweat to get on it all the time. It is in a Kydex IWB holster right now that has a pannel that covers the entire slide. (and 12 +1 rounds )
Old December 12, 2002, 08:51 PM   #8
Pico

Oops

Followed your link... to my original posting.

Senility is creeping in, you told me all this info once and I've already forgotten.

It seems the belt clip would not be good for someone who fired the gun a lot. Did it ever cut your finger while shooting?

Thanks
Pico
Old December 12, 2002, 09:21 PM   #9
kitb

Pico, If you really want to have fun at the range, get a .40 S&W conversion kit for your P-11. It makes a fine carry weapon, but for me, fun at the range stops after the second magazine.

I do recoment the trigger shoe though. Just be sure to use loc-tite on the trigger shoe screws.
Old December 12, 2002, 10:49 PM   #10
Chief Jones

Where can you get a 40 conversion kit? Sounds interesting!
Old December 12, 2002, 11:03 PM   #11
alamo

I'm not sure if KT still has them or not since they discontinued the P-40. The kit is a slide (just slightly longer than a P-11 slide), barrel and stronger recoil springs. Give them a call 800-515-993. There was also a .357 conversion using the P-40 slide.
Old December 13, 2002, 11:12 AM   #12
yzguy

Quote:
Oops
Followed your link... to my original posting.
you know what... I did not relize it was your post either!!

I don't think KT is selling the conversion any more as the P-40 was discontinued... But you can still find them around. I personaly like the P-11 a little bit better (because I'm better with it, and much faster with follow-up shots). I do have a P-40 conversion and took it to the range a couple of times. The .40 pulls the gun out of my left hand. I am right handed but when I grip the gun with both hands, the flip is sharp enough that it pulls the gun out of the cup of my weak hand. Not all the time, but more than once... The recoil was not that bad, just sharper muzzle flip...
Old December 13, 2002, 03:16 PM   #13
Pico

P-40

If KT stopped making the .40, there may a good reason not to convert the 9 to 40 cal....I'd hate to change the P-11 recoil in any way.. for the size, it's perfect in 9.

I think my next major investment in any handgun will be some heavy metal, big bore cannon after shooting the model 29 S&W....

Pico
Old December 13, 2002, 06:47 PM   #14
JMax

Nice purchase. I have a blue on black P11 with belt clip. I really like the clip option. I always wear an undershirt so it is not in direct contact with skin.

JMax
Old December 14, 2002, 08:51 AM   #15
yesterdaysyouth

the longer the barrel on the mod 29; the more fun.... unless you're into blinding muzzle flash and noise that would drown out a jet engine.... then go for the trial boss...