The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 20, 2006, 03:53 PM   #1
Jseime

AAaaaargh, More Discovery Channel Intelligence

I saw a show on the discovery channel where they were comparing the AK-47 and the M-16 in vietnam.

Most of the show was fairly decent, however when it came time to compare the accuracy of the two weapons they dropped the ball...bigtime.

"The M-16 is more accurate because the bullet is faster than the AK-47 and a faster bullet is more accurate"

Oh thanks for clearing that up guys, im going to go neck down a 50BMG to 6mm and beef up the load so i can shoot perfect scores at 1000 yards.

Where in the name of sam hill do they come up with some of this stuff. I think that next time they decide to do a show on guns perhaps they could consult a ballistician before jumping right in. I hate it when TV shows things about guns, they're never right.
Old December 20, 2006, 04:16 PM   #2
Wildalaska

Stop watching TV

WildthevastwastelandAlaska
Old December 20, 2006, 06:44 PM   #3
cheygriz

Perhaps they were trying to say that the .223 is a faster, and therefore flatter shooting cartridge, making it easier for the average soldier to shoot accurately at long range due to less bullet drop.
Old December 20, 2006, 08:10 PM   #4
armedtotheteeth

AH!, but faster bullet does not mean less bullet drop at long ranges. A slower heavier bullet can actually be going faster than a fast , light bullet at say 400 yards or so. But anyways, yeah, I saw that show, KaKa, Pure KaKa
Old December 20, 2006, 08:27 PM   #5
raggededge

Beats watching crapola like American Idol, though. Right?
Old December 20, 2006, 08:28 PM   #6
armedtotheteeth

Yeah, Definetly. I dont mind seein Ole Paula walk around though. I like watching her walk out a door.
Old December 21, 2006, 06:15 AM   #7
Wildalaska

Whats American Idol

WildisthatateamintheenglishpremierleagueAlaska
Old December 21, 2006, 08:52 AM   #8
maddog44

Perhaps the consultant was not available, so the producer decided to "wing it". I watch the History Channel a lot, and their "Tails of the Gun" is quite good and generally accurate as far as I can tell.
Old December 21, 2006, 08:56 AM   #9
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
AAaaaargh, More Discovery Channel Intelligence
First of all, why are you blaming the entire channel for something wrong in one program?

Quote:
Where in the name of sam hill do they come up with some of this stuff. I think that next time they decide to do a show on guns perhaps they could consult a ballistician before jumping right in. I hate it when TV shows things about guns, they're never right.
Well, they do consult "experts." I don't know that they consult 'ballisticians.' How many of them are there? Anyway, they do consult with people deemed to be experts who consult on programs and provide insight. I am sure the "experts" do what they can, but problems still arise. On top of that, they probably don't have a second tier of 'experts' to check to see if the first tier of 'experts' were perfect.

Heck, sometimes they have their 'experts' on the programs and the experts mess up, but that isn't limited to the Discovery Channel.
Old December 21, 2006, 09:36 AM   #10
FirstFreedom

American Idol, in the early rounds when Simon rips the no-talents, is comedy of the highest order. Good stuff maynard.

Seen that special; thought I saw it on History Channel; yeah they need to correct that "fact".
Old December 21, 2006, 10:14 AM   #11
kwkoch

hey double not
you a large shareholder in discovery channel, co-creator, or something? cause things like that shouldnt get you so worked up. who cares? its tv, all part of the big media.
Old December 21, 2006, 10:44 AM   #12
Eghad

I will be watching the Discovery Channel and even the History Channel and hear a statement that will just make my jaw drop...lol. My advice is to take it with a garin of salt and do some research if you dont thinks its right. Most folks think that just because we see it on TV or the printed media it must be true.

For instance I was reading something that talked about a hospital I think that was destroyed by Hurricane Rita. My brain kind of clicked when I heard that. It was actually destroyed by Hurricane Katrina. For some reason with the media Hurricane Katrina didnt seem to happen.

NRA Life Member
Old December 21, 2006, 06:25 PM   #13
Ailean Mac an Daroch

Just say Thank You

I deal with media on a daily basis - it's my job. Worse yet, I deal with what is actually a technical activity - Amateur Radio. Trying to explain technical things to a reporter who often has no clue gets really interesting. Often I have to first overcome their impressions from the past before I can explain (in non-technical terms) the realities. You think the shooting sports are misunderstood? Try ham radio! The image of grandpa in front of a 1950's tube set is all they can see despite 50 years of advances and the many really cool, cutting edge technologies now in use. Shooting sports have very similar media problems.

*EVEN IF* the reporter or writer really is trying to understand and be factual, their exposure to the topic is often only the 15-30 minutes you are speaking with them before they move on, while it took many of us years to learn all the stuff in our heads. The result is that they can, do and will get a lot of the technical details wrong. But far more important than the fps of an AK vs AR is the tone of the show overall. Does it present the sport fairly, or is it a hatchet job? Some networks are incredibly biased and you do not want them talking about shooting at all - better nothing than the selective reporting they would do. Others, like the Discovery Channel, at least try to present things factually and fairly. Sure, some details are wrong, but the TONE of the piece is usually complimentary to the shooting sports. Just say "thank you" and let it go.

Bullet holes happily made or mended
Old December 21, 2006, 08:07 PM   #14
DPris
Member Emeritus

It's fun to catch the goofs every now & then.
One of my favorites was the collector whose drum-fed Thompson was chambered for the ".45 Colt", as he explained just before he ripped a burst off.
Denis