The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: How do you feel about CCW in Church
I always carry. 55 61.80%
I sometimes carry. 19 21.35%
I don't carry, but don't mind if others do. 13 14.61%
I don't carry, and no one should carry in church. 2 2.25%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 21, 2008, 04:49 PM   #51
akr

Thank God for people who carry in church. This day and time, you are a sitting duck in church for the crazies. A church is the most likely place, besides a school or college, for attacks by loons who want to kill a lot of people.

NRA Lifetime Member
Old April 21, 2008, 05:20 PM   #52
Diesel1

I can think of no better place than a Church for someone intent on murdering innocent citizen's gathered in a small area. I sit in a pew roughly in the same area every Sunday with a view of the main entrance.

I view carrying a gun to Church similar to seeing the EMT or the Dentist, normally don't think too much about them or the gun, but on occasion if you need one, you really need one. I can think of no more helpless position to be in than to need a gun and not have one. I love my family too much not to carry in Church
Old April 21, 2008, 05:50 PM   #53
KyJim

I usually carry but not always. When I first got my license, I did not carry in church. It just did not "feel right" to me. I think that was because I was so conscious of carrying that my mind was on that more than the message and the rest of the service. Gradually, I began to carry in church as I grew more accustomed to carrying and I was not distracted by it. Another factor is the fact that I attend a very large church and it would be a target for certain kinds of terrorists and/or nuts. I understand our senior minister has received threats; probably cranks but you can never tell.
Old April 22, 2008, 01:15 AM   #54
Yellowfin

I do when I'm attending church in the Free States.
Old April 22, 2008, 01:28 AM   #55
pax

Quote:
It seems a bit arrogant to pray for God's protection but than show him that you have no faith in his protection by carrying a gun.
It seems a bit arrogant to pray that God will give us this day our daily bread, and then go out and earn a living by the sweat of our brow.

It seems a bit arrogant to pray that God will give us this day our daily bread, and then come home and cook dinner.

It seems a bit arrogant to pray that God will help us to be good parents, and then work our tails off to do it.

Hmmm, nope. The logic there just does not work for me.

What does seem arrogant is telling other people how to live their faiths.

pax
Old April 22, 2008, 05:48 AM   #56
shortwave

i believe Technosavant is right when he states that a church is just a building. if a chriistian has ccw and normally carries, why wouldn`t they carry at church. you`re not there to worship the building. i`ve prayed many times sitting on a stump in the woods hunting. at that time the woods was my church. should i not have been armed? IMHO,church can be where you make it,(building,woods,street corner) its a gathering place for people to worship and learn about God. there`s no difference if i have ccw on me when i pray in the woods or have it on me sitting in a man made building.
Old April 22, 2008, 08:31 AM   #57
Diesel1

Quote:
It seems a bit arrogant to pray for God's protection but than show him that you have no faith in his protection by carrying a gun.

So this was not written, in this part below, the instruction is to sell a garment and buy a sword for protection.

Quote:
Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one
Old April 22, 2008, 08:35 AM   #58
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

I would. Gotta get my ccw liscense though, lol.
Old April 22, 2008, 10:43 AM   #59
cschwanz

Quote:
i believe Technosavant is right when he states that a church is just a building. if a chriistian has ccw and normally carries, why wouldn`t they carry at church. you`re not there to worship the building. i`ve prayed many times sitting on a stump in the woods hunting. at that time the woods was my church. should i not have been armed? IMHO,church can be where you make it,(building,woods,street corner) its a gathering place for people to worship and learn about God. there`s no difference if i have ccw on me when i pray in the woods or have it on me sitting in a man made building.
Very well put sir. I completely agree. I probably go to 'church' more between the months of October to January then the rest of the year.
Ignorance can be fixed....its called education. Stupid will get you killed!
Old April 22, 2008, 10:50 AM   #60
Mal H
Staff

Once again, a thread that mentioned religion or church turned into a "discussion" of religion itself instead of a discussion on the intended topic.

And once again, it gets closed.
Closed Thread