The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 17, 2009, 01:37 PM   #1
awaveritt

Leupold FX line

Years ago I had a Leupold M8 4X scope that I let get away on a rifle I sold. Now I'd like to replace it but notice they are now called the "FX" line.

Are these scopes still Made in USA and are they still the same quality as my old one?

Call me a cynic, but just wondering. I've always thought Leupold was one of the best and hope they still are.
Old February 17, 2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Scorch

Leupold scopes are made in Beaverton, Oregon, except for the Rifleman line which are made in China. I have not used the newer FX scopes, but the M8 scopes are excellent.
Old February 17, 2009, 03:15 PM   #3
pilothunter

I think you'll find the length of the new 4X FXII to be a bit shorter than the older M8 and about the same as the VXI and VXII 2-7x33 models. The older M8s are just about perfect matches for the Ruger #1 line with their good eye relief and longish tubes. It's a shame more quality fixed power scopes are not still available, but the Leupold is a very good one.
Old February 17, 2009, 03:17 PM   #4
spruilldog

just bought one

Fx 4 for a 30-30. Optics very clear. Haven't used it in low light yet but seems to be a quality scope.
Old February 25, 2009, 10:05 PM   #5
awaveritt

Quote:
Leupold scopes are made in Beaverton, Oregon, except for the Rifleman line which are made in China.
Last week I posted about Leupold Scopes and subsequently got this reply from a Leupold rep about the point of origin for Leupolds Rifleman line of scopes. Thought I'd pass the info along in case any were interested.

Quote:
Summary: Leupold Support

Hi Arthur,

All of our Gold Ring products and all of our scopes including Rifleman are machined, built, and assembled right here in Beaverton, Oregon.

Thanks for your interest.

Regards,

Matt Chen
Old February 26, 2009, 07:31 AM   #6
Lloyd Smale

the new fixed power scopes are actually better. they have the same lens coatings that the older varix111s had. The old ones were only multicoated in the objective lens. these are fully mulitcoated.
Old February 26, 2009, 08:57 AM   #7
rugerfreak

Was about to say---my Rifleman doesn't have China stamped any where on the scope or the box it came in.