The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 26, 2007, 10:35 PM   #1
Chrome4x4chic

Need a little help Please

Well I didn't know where to place this in the forums. So, i figured this would be a good place unless told other wise...lol
Any ways I need a little help trying to find any information on a revolver that was given to my husband by his deceased father. His dad was well known for his tall tales so I really not sure if this one is correct or not( more like not). He said that he used it in the war. Which war the family is unsure of. So, if any of you have any information you could possible lend me about this I would appreciate it! Thanks

Smith and Wesson
this is all i have to go off of.

This is what is printed on top of barrel
Smith and Wesson Springfield Mass. U.S.A Pat'd Jan 17 & 24 65 July 11 65 Aug 24 69 july 25 71 Dec 2 79 may 11 & 25 1880

On the bottom of the grip it prints 10767

The only other marking is the Smith and Wesson trade mark. I know it is a .44

Thanks,
MarQue
Old February 26, 2007, 10:40 PM   #2
Chrome4x4chic

Forgot somethings

The barrel is 6 and half inches
The whole gun is aprox. 11 and quarter inches
and top to bottom is aprox. 5 inches

Hopefully this helps
Old February 26, 2007, 11:14 PM   #3
rwilson452

If you open up the cylinder, on the frame just above the pivot there should be a model number.

If I'm not mistaken the number on the bottom of the grip is the serial number
Old February 27, 2007, 10:52 AM   #4
Chrome4x4chic

Number on the Cylinder

I have already checked that number and it is the exact number as the serial number. Thank you tho. If it wasn't for someone smarter then me I wouldn't have found it...lol Thank you for helping much appreciated!

MarQue
Old February 27, 2007, 11:01 AM   #5
sanson

write s&w and that serial # should be all they need to give you a model #.. then tell us and we'll try to buy it for a song.. la.la..la...laaahh
Old February 27, 2007, 11:08 AM   #6
Chrome4x4chic

I would never yell at someone who is trying to help me..
I tried to search the web for S & W 10767 but I had no luck. I searched it a couple different ways hoping to find what kind, value and so on. But, again no luck on my part. How is a gun so hard to find. I did tho however find similar ones. But, the barrel would be too short or it would be calling for some symbol on the barrel. Thanks for the little bit you can share with me! It is more then what I know!! lol
Old February 27, 2007, 06:00 PM   #7
Gonzo_308

chic, If you wirte to Smith and Wesson, they have a historian who can tell you just about everything about that revolver.

THe adress can be found at the Smith and Wesson website.

Here----> http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...ectionId=10504 is a shortcut.
Old February 27, 2007, 06:26 PM   #8
Tom2

I assume if you say it is a 44, it may be a Smith and Wesson N frame revolver and it should specify the caliber exactly on the side of the barrel. Too bad you can't post a photo, even a less than perfect one, that would really answer alot of questions more easily. It may be a prewar 44 special gun which could have been used in WW2. It will not have the model number inside of the crane cutout unless it was made in the 50's or later. They did not have model numbers back then. Just names. They started making the N frame 44 in 1908, and they made it both in 44 S&W special and 44 S&W Russian calibers, but the markings should specify that. I have called Smith before and they have been able to tell me the year of manufacture from the serial number, assuming you know the model type. They can make a nice document for you with the actual day it was shipped, where it was shipped to, and the original features and finish, on attractive letterhead, but that would cost you 50 bucks or so, I believe. Pictures tell a thousand words, so see if you can post that.
Old February 27, 2007, 06:27 PM   #9
Tom2

BTW, the last patent date is 1880? Does it have a swing out cylinder or is it a top break with a pivot in front of the cylinder and the barrel tilts down???
Old February 27, 2007, 06:31 PM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

Chrome,

Unfortunately, it could be any of a fair number of guns. To try to identify it on the limited information you're able to give is really a crap shoot.

However, when I get back this evening I'm going to post some links to some photographs, and you can tell us which one it looks more like. That will help us to at least narrow down what it MIGHT be.

From what you're saying, though, and given the patent date that you've posted, I have a pretty good idea what it might be.

But we'll see.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 27, 2007, 08:34 PM   #11
Chrome4x4chic

Thank you to all.. Seems this gal doesn't know her revolvers very well... I will check back in a while for those website links... I do have crappy photos i snapped with my phone but that is all...
Old February 27, 2007, 10:16 PM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

Chrome,

Even better.

Please e-mail me the photos at [email protected] and I'll take a look.

Old February 27, 2007, 10:54 PM   #13
Gbro

Chick;
Is this revolver a single action or double action?
(if you need help, dose the hammer cock as you pull the trigger? (unloaded gun only).)

Is there a pivot pin forward of the cylinder, and just below the barrel?
Old February 28, 2007, 08:13 PM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

Chrome sent me some pictures today, and it was as I suspected - a Smith & Wesson double action, large frame, breaktop .44 revolver.

Unfortunately, it's in pretty rough shape, probably no better than fair. As such, it's really not worth much, a few hundred at best. It could be restored, however.

Without actually examining it it's kind of tricky to say whether it's a .44 Double Action First Model or the slightly later .44 Double Action Frontier. Both had serial numbers in the range you quote. Final determination would be based on some measurements of the cylinder length and the caliber.

The First model would be chambered for .44 Russian, and the Frontier would be chambered for .44-40.

As for it being used in a war... possible, but doubtful. Smith & Wesson never sold any of these to the US military. They did chamber one for a .45 Special cartridge (apparently an even shorter version of the .45 S&W), but it didn't go anywhere.

Could it have been used by someone who took it to a war? Possibly, but impossible to know. Family legends are hard to prove without provenance of any kind.

Most of these guns were sold in the west of the Mississippi and were fairly popular.

You could write to Smith & Wesson, include better photos of your gun, measure the cylinder length as exactly as you can, and include all markings on the gun, including whether the markings on the barrel are all on one line, or on two lines.

With that information the Smith & Wesson historian may be able to tell you to whom your gun was originally sold.

It's a service that does cost, IIRC, $35.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Old February 28, 2007, 10:06 PM   #15
gbrohman

Hey pal,
Could you post the picture(s)?