The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 9, 2011, 06:37 AM   #1
Dragline45

S&W Stainless Factory Finish Horrid

Is it just me or does anyone else think the brushed factory finish on S&W stainless revolvers is absolutely horrid. Some revolvers I seen have such random uneven brush strokes in the metal it looks like the thing was thrown into a tumbler with heavy steel wool. Just think its kinda crazy to spend $600+ on a new gun from them only to get it with a mediocre finish. What I think is even crazier is I went to sell my model 60 at a gun shop which I had spent hours polishing and was a perfect mirror finish with no scratches. They wanted to give me less because it didn't have the factory finish, long story short the guy in line behind me bought it for a hell of allot more than the shop did partly because he liked the finish so much.
Old September 9, 2011, 07:06 AM   #2
excelerater

^^ Guy works for Ruger LOL..........
Old September 9, 2011, 07:36 AM   #3
COLT_45

Actually on the model 60 when they first came out many years ago
some were issued from the factory with the mirror finish.....

On the Ruger-I do like the mirror finish they put on their Vaquero's
from the factory.....

In the old days most US manufactures were soooooo quality on their
finishes.....miss that.....I guess profits & the economics of the Ivory
Towers has changed that forever. I had a S & W Model 36 from the 60's
40+ years ago and I still remember the mirror blue factory finish
the old masters put on them. I had a Colt DS as well from that era.
The factory nickel on that gun was also unbelievable. Seems that
type of quality is all but history now, although I think Ruger's revolvers
are the best now.....

New materials in plastic & metals now seem to rule the markets. Sure
would like to see that good ol' fashoned US quality steel finishes again.

Last edited by COLT_45; September 9, 2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old September 9, 2011, 08:17 AM   #4
rodfac

I agree on the declining quality of finishes in general, but .... if we want that type of finish, and coincidentally, the time in expert labor to achieve it, we'll have to settle for guns that cost a heck of lot more than they do now. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old September 9, 2011, 10:02 AM   #5
RsqVet

I have never thought smiths finish was horrid.
Old September 9, 2011, 10:12 AM   #6
CajunBass

I've got a 65-5 from the 90's that has the matte finish. To me that's just the way it's supposed to look.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 9, 2011, 10:15 AM   #7
18DAI

In my opinion, we are getting the lousy finishes, lousy triggers......and lousy guns, because too many of us are willing to "settle" for them.

If folks didn't buy these guns, S&W would improve their quality - right quick.

I'm always amused by the argument that if the manufacturer, S&W in this case, improved the quality of their products, the products would "cost a heck of alot more". Last time I checked, S&W are already asking exhorbitant prices for the current crap revolvers they are currently producing.

Buy what you will. I will spend my money buying the superior guns S&W produced in the past, for less money than the asking price of current revolvers too! Regards 18DAI.
Old September 13, 2011, 07:26 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

I only care about how a gun shoots; it must be reliable, and offer me controllable accuracy.

Looks don't have any affect on its purpose. Unless, of course, the gun is purchased as artwork to look at.
Old September 13, 2011, 07:45 AM   #9
357 Terms

Amen...WESHOOT2
Old September 13, 2011, 02:03 PM   #10
coop2564

Horrid is a bit strong.
Old September 13, 2011, 08:11 PM   #11
Dragline45

Quote:
Horrid is a bit strong.
I would agree with you if I said the same thing 10 years ago but in the past few years the finish on their revolvers has gone way downhill, from the heavy uneven brush strokes on one part of the gun not blending in with the rest, to the what looks like a random swirling motion they use when brushing it. I can and have refinished stainless firearms with different grades of scotchbrite pads and wet and dry sandpaper and accomplished a much better looking brushed finish than the factory does, only problem is it takes alot of time and trial and error. Point im trying to make is I should not have to refinish a brand new gun, which is why I don't plan on buying a new production smith. Also I should not have to pay $150 to have a brushed satin finish put on my gun by the performance cetner shop when it should have been like that in the first place.
Old September 13, 2011, 08:55 PM   #12
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESHOOT2 View Post
I only care about how a gun shoots; it must be reliable, and offer me controllable accuracy.

Looks don't have any affect on its purpose. Unless, of course, the gun is purchased as artwork to look at.
That depends on what it's for and how much it cost. Sure, how it shoots is paramount but a nice gun has a nice finish. I'm not saying I agree about S&W's finishes but it's still part of the over all quality of any gun.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old September 13, 2011, 09:33 PM   #13
publius

Exterior finish is labor intensive to do properly, even more so on a blued gun. We want pretty finishes, we will have to pay more.
Old September 13, 2011, 09:36 PM   #14
M4BGRINGO

I want them to perform well and look good, that isn't too much to ask for is it?

I prefer to buy older S&W's for many reasons, but I also want to own a XVR460 so I don't have much of a choice in that one. I can go around to different shops and check the fit and finish on it, but I can't buy an older version of it.

I did see a Ruger .44 Magnum at my FFL's the other day. What caught my eye was the satin finish. I was looking the gun all-over before I even knew I was holding a Ruger. That gun had an amazing finish!
Old September 13, 2011, 10:44 PM   #15
stevieboy

Hmm. Trying to decide if this is one of those "Smith & Wessons suck ever since they unpinned the barrels, MIM'd the internals, and particularly, put the @#$%ing lock in the gun" threads. I've more or less decided that it is.

Well, anyway, here's my lock-equipped 625JM. It's got a little wear on it after several years of heavy use but, best as I can tell, the finish is pretty near perfect.

Ah, well, as the words to the song go: "if you can't please everyone you might as well please yourself."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N-frames 002.jpg (244.9 KB, 104 views)
Old September 13, 2011, 11:11 PM   #16
8shot357

Dragline45

Are you some type of gun inspector? How do know what know? Do you go from shop to shop and inspect new S&W revolvers?
Old September 14, 2011, 01:34 AM   #17
Dragline45

Quote:
Are you some type of gun inspector? How do know what know?
This was the process I used to come to my conclusion

Step 1: examine older smiths in gun case
Step 2: examine new smiths in gun case
Conclusion: new finish is sloppy

Doesn't take a gun inspector to tell they are putting on a crappy finish nowadays

Quote:
Do you go from shop to shop and inspect new S&W revolvers?
Yup thats exactly what I do, looking at pictures on the internet might work for you but I like that up close and personal approach.
Old September 14, 2011, 07:52 AM   #18
Vartarg

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder??
If we want to regain the respect of the world, we should begin by announcing that children have no business expressing opinions on anything except "Do you have enough room in the toes?" -Florence King
Old September 14, 2011, 12:12 PM   #19
skidder

Dragline is correct. I recently handled a brand new 66 in the store and it looked like crap. Full of tool marks and scratches. What happened to Smith and Wesson?

As far as commenting on appearance, "when the gun is new it should look nice". When they skimp on one aspect they are more than likely skimping elsewhere.

I believe the reason these manufacturers are getting away with this is "new customers". Not everybody has a history with guns and is able to compare otherwise. I'm not mentioning names, but they seem count on first time buyers rather than return customers. Loyalty is lost if it is not needed for sales. Marketing over quality seems to be the avenue of choice these days.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old September 14, 2011, 04:58 PM   #20
8shot357

Do you go from shop to shop and inspect new S&W revolvers?

Quote:
Yup thats exactly what I do, looking at pictures on the internet might work for you but I like that up close and personal approach.
I'm heading to the range/gun store right now, I'll take a quick look.
Old September 14, 2011, 05:13 PM   #21
buck460XVR

Quote:

How about some pictures of those so called "crappy finishes". As we all know, on the internet, it ain't true unless you post a picture.
Old September 14, 2011, 05:45 PM   #22
skidder

Everybody knows the internet don't lie.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old September 14, 2011, 07:55 PM   #23
langenc

Cause Algore dont!! and he would never invent something that would (lie).
Old September 14, 2011, 08:02 PM   #24
hardworker

It is probably because the skyrocketing cost of skilled labor is eating into their margins.
Old September 14, 2011, 08:20 PM   #25
Noreaster

Open up your safes and check out the older guns, (handguns and long arms.) The older guns have deep blue finishes that look like they will stand up to time and weather. Pretty. The finish on my S&W m60 is crappy, but the gun works and shoots very well so I'm willing to love my ugly little Smith! The prices are really going up though, they need to ease up a little on the prices.