The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 28, 2002, 02:18 AM   #1
twoblink

What Taiwan LEO in my city use.

Well, last night, I said f* it, I'll just ask.

The local LEO in my town carry different guns then the other ones I've seen, so I asked.

This is what most of them carry. Yuck. They said they have been "modified" and so it looks like taiwanese production of this gun, but not made by Smith..

If you are going to clone something, couldn't they clone something nicer??
Old November 28, 2002, 03:01 AM   #2
HKguy9

LOL a Taiwanese S&W knockoff? Bwahhaaha

Do they also have an imitation logo trying to pass it off to tourists for real cheap??
Old November 28, 2002, 03:29 AM   #3
mlk18

Back to my picture file:

Here's a picture of what I thought was a Chinese S&W clone,
but may well be Taiwanese. The MKE Cobra.

mlk18
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mke_kobra.jpg (22.5 KB, 489 views)
Old November 28, 2002, 03:49 AM   #4
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

The Smith & Wesson .45 caliber model 457

is a very useful and practical firearm. It's the "no frill's"
version of a service sidearm. The one's I have seen
function flawless; but the finish leaves a lot to be
desired.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old November 28, 2002, 05:38 PM   #5
Kermit

I'll bet Smith & Wesson and Marlboro are pretty big names in Asia
Old November 28, 2002, 06:15 PM   #6
CWL

Indeed!

S&W is very popular in SE Asia for firearms. Lots of police carry S&W, though the ones I've seen in my travels are in SS.

The name is very well thought of and S&W provides lots of police agency issue pistols, primarily in 9MM.

Even former communist countries such as Cambodia like S&W, has to do with the prestige of the name.

Glock 17s are also very popular, especially where available for private ownership.
Old November 28, 2002, 07:59 PM   #7
twoblink

The police stations that have $$$$ all issue the same guns. The poorer ones issues whatever they can issue.

I saw QUITE a few Russian knockoffs. I saw a few with Berettas, those are the "rich" police districts.

The police stations with an army base in it, all get military hand-me-downs. I did see a few police chiefs have 1911's, so I guess a colt matte gray 1911 is still a "reserved for officers" gun.

The S&W is actually a very good name here, great rep.

All the kids here however, follow the Glock and HK pi'ed-piper...
Old November 28, 2002, 08:09 PM   #8
SteveC

Out of curiousity, what are the rules for gun ownership in Taiwan?

Interestingly enough, I know a guy who taught combatives at the Beijing police academy, and tells me that Beijing cops aren't allowed to carry guns.

Steve
Old November 28, 2002, 11:54 PM   #9
Laz

That's interesting about the Taiwanese police guns, not to mention civilian guns. I lived in Taiwan for five or six years in the late 60's. Back then, as I remember, private gun ownership was not too easy. Those were still the years of the Generalissimo and thoughts of "liberating the mainland". Of course, most police carried revolvers if I remember right. I'll say this though, I would not have many doubts about anything the Taiwanese "knocked off". I gained mucho respect for the Taiwanese and the Chinese in general during those years. But that is another tale. A number of Chinese fellas I knew back then belonged to various "guilds" or "associations", maybe even "tongs" but they didn't have guns, just big old knives that they carried under the front seat of their cars. A great and beautiful country and a great people.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old November 29, 2002, 12:59 AM   #10
Jesse H

Quote:
Out of curiousity, what are the rules for gun ownership in Taiwan?
From what I was told on my last trip, citizens aren't allowed to own guns.

Funny thing I noticed was that it wasn't uncommon to see many cops not carrying during the day.
Old November 29, 2002, 02:52 PM   #11
CWL

Private citizens are not generally allowed to carry handguns, although certain ones with political contacts may get permits (sound familiar?) There are licensed bodyguards.

There are sources for illegal firearms, primarily from China and the Phillipines. Taiwan is afterall, an island with lots of smuggler contacts with their neighbors.

Know a corporate attorney who smuggled a few pistols with him to Taiwan from the USA, had them shipped in a cargo container hidden with his personal items. Company paid for it.
Old November 30, 2002, 03:52 AM   #12
twoblink

If you use to own guns, and have valid reasons to own guns and are a private citizen, then you can own it (registered) and they come and check it every year. They also "log" how many rounds you fired through that thing. My friend's dad lives in the mountains, and use to hunt, he currently still has his guns, but doesn't shoot them anymore. He can pass it to his heirs, but cannot sell it.

The police here often times don't carry guns. The slightly poorer districts, (check this out) they issue you a holster, but no gun! hehehe. This made me laugh... So you sometimes see cops walking around with a holster but no gun.

If you have "hookups" or are VIP, then you can have guns. Bodyguards can have guns, but from what I understand, very difficult process. Otherwise, no citizens may own guns. that's why everybody has a metal gate...

As a private citizen, you have to join a club or association if you want to shoot. Very expensive, I can't afford to right now.

membership fees:
1 month : $75
1 year : don't remember
lifetime : $600

And then there's gun rental and bullets..
Old November 30, 2002, 04:31 AM   #13
Rmf33

Twoblink,
Bummer...so how much are the cases, primer, and powder?
Just kidding, but it's CARTRIDGE. The bullet is the projectile.

Bob

“There are two types of people; those that try to get you to do something that you'd rather not, and all others.”

NRA Lifer

TFL Alumnus
Old November 30, 2002, 05:21 AM   #14
Bahadur

Many East Asian police forces use various knockoffs of American and European models, ranging from fairly high quality to absolute junk.

Their policemen are for "maintaining order" and directing traffic rather than crime fighting, so their weapons are often, well, less than ideal. Of course, elite police forces are a different story (I loved the looks of one Japanese police officer at Narita - she was about 5' and looked about 90 lbs. and was wearing high heels with her tight uniform, no gun ).

Some of the wealthier Asian countries, of course, issue European and American-made sidearms. At least one country (South Korea) equips its police (and soldiers) with indigenously-designed and -made pistol (Daewoo DP-51).
Old November 30, 2002, 08:58 AM   #15
twoblink

If you can think of it, Taiwan has a clone of it. That's pretty much what I've discovered.

I use to think their chinese was bad or their english was bad, but then I discovered why they say "It's like a" in front of every sentence; because almost none of it is real.. It's all a clone..
Old November 30, 2002, 09:34 PM   #16
JIH

Quote:
If you can think of it, Taiwan has a clone of it
Why import when you can build your own clones at about the same quality, keep your people employed, and keep revenues in-country.

I've said it before, but generally, in Taiwan and the rest of East Asia, if you want access to guns, either be rich, be a cop, or join the military. Being a foreigner makes it even more precarious, especially when you show interest in their guns (the Taiwanese cops don't like you staring at their guns and don't like you asking about them).

My wife is Taiwanese and getting her used to guns in the house was a laborious process. Even when criminals use guns in Taiwan, the last thing she'd ever thought of, over there, was getting a gun to protect herself. She even reverts to an odd timidity when going back over there, even though when she's here she's like the Asian Annie Oakley.
Old November 30, 2002, 10:07 PM   #17
HKguy9

You mean Annie Oakrey?
Old December 1, 2002, 12:51 AM   #18
twoblink

There is generally a feeling of submission in asia with respect to guns. Most feel it's not something they have a "right" to own unless they are LEO or military.

Of course, I am dating the one exception to the rule

I look chinese, and I told them I was from the states, and asked about their guns, and so they were rather friendly about it. But if you stare at their gun, they take that as a sign that you are a criminal, staking out what type of resistance they can possibly put up, and they aren't too keen on that.
Old December 2, 2002, 04:11 AM   #19
Bahadur

Quote:
You mean Annie Oakrey?
You speak Engrish!!!

www.engrish.com