The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 30, 2006, 07:34 PM   #1
TexiCali Slim

Reviewing The C.T.D. Shellholder Sling

I just Recently bought the 24 shell shotgun sling from cheaper than dirt and have mixed feelings. For the obvious having 24 shells tucked neatly on your sling is allways convienient, and at $11.95 I cant complain too much, but for the few gripes I have....... here we go, The sling fully loaded really changes the mechanics of the gun, I have a winchester defender and allways appreciated it's lightweight feel and thats all but gone with the sling, I know one would think this is obvious but it never occured to me how heavy shotgun shells are (sure I could remove a few shells but then EVERYONE would know Im a wuss). also the Zytel clips on it pretty much suck, it has allready come undone just from me prancing around the house a few times, I would just take them off but they are sewn in on one side, so I am considering taking it to a tailor to have a sling swivel sewn into it (Ill remove the shells first I guess). Other than that I would highly recommend this sling so here's the Pro's and Cons summed up,
1) you cant beat the price for what it is.
2) shotgun shells are a pain in the arse carrying and this simplifys it.
3) you can assort it with slugs buckshot, whatever you want (I went with Remmington and Winchester shells every 5 so now I look like Santa's elf of death.)

1) Increases weight dramaticly, if I had to hold someone at bay untill the cops showed up my arms would feel like popeye's
2) Clips can't support the weight of the shells very well.
3) with my shotgun loaded and the sling tanked up if I need more than 32 shots on a HD gun Im probobly dead anyways.

Last edited by TexiCali Slim; June 30, 2006 at 09:49 PM.
Old July 11, 2006, 09:04 AM   #2
paramedic70002

Try crossed bandoliers. They don't weigh down the weapon and are more readily accessible for reloads. Also very intimidating. Think we can revive the Streetsweeper 12 guage with the 20 round drum magazine?
Old July 16, 2006, 08:42 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Two more CONs - -

The weight of a box-o-shells swinging from side to side with a hastily-shouldered gun can actually throw your aim off.

Your sling is no longer 1-1/4 inch wide - - It is a good 2-1/2 inches wide. This can make it a LOT slower to drag the gun out of a case or from beneath the seat of car or truck.

The 2-1/2 inch long (WIDE!) shells, if they cross your shoulder, can be painful on the collar bone and shoulder.

I have a couple of the seven-shell holders that bolt onto the left side of the shotgun receiver, and they're pretty efficient except for storage. They add a full inch to the width of the gun. My personal choice is a pouch or loops secured to the right side of the buttstock.

Best
Johnny
Old July 18, 2006, 12:27 AM   #4
TexiCali Slim

very true Johnny

Again I have to falll back on the low price warrants giving it a try for yourself. However it is currently folded up and in the nightstand (the sling obviously not the gun) I just bought a Pachmayr pistol grip for the winny so no more sling for now. Look for the Pachmayr review coming to a "Gear And Accesories" near you later this summer
Old July 18, 2006, 02:08 AM   #5
RoscoeC

In my opinion, that is just too much weight to be swinging like a giant pendulum from the bottom of the gun. Besides, how easy is it going to be to get the ammo from the sling, for the exact same reason? In my opinion the whole concept is flawed, and a just plain old bad idea. I'm not so sure about crossed bandoliers, but a single bandolier is not bad. I load buckshot in the front, and slugs in the rear. Grabbing it just below the shoulder it is slung over and pulling down brings the slugs to the front. Grab and pull again, the buckshot is in front. I have an 870 express. I am not interested in adding anthing that weighs anything to it. 12 ga. ammo is HEAVY. The only ammo I want attached to my gun is in the magazine.
NRA Life Member
Old July 18, 2006, 06:39 PM   #6
TexiCali Slim

I agree that it is just TOO heavy

But as far as getting the ammo out of the sling it is very easy, putting it in is a bit of a pain.
Just carrying my gun out and about for dove hunting and related stuff I may leave the sling empty, but as far as a SHTF or a watermelon slaying situation I would like the convienience of that many shells.