The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 26, 2006, 09:39 PM   #26
Big Kahuna 19547

Riverrat66 ....
Next time you go to Cabelas in Hamburg, you can judge the differences for yourself... Just jump on I 78 and head west to Harrisburg and it meets up with I 81 and then I 83 South... Bass Pro opened a store in Harrisburg last year right off of I 83... It's about an hour and 15 minutes from Cabelas... Quicker if you do the required 75 + to keep up with traffic
That said, I prefer Cabelas.... In fact I was disappointed in Bass Pro and thought that Gander Mountain had more guns that Bass Pro... We have a few of those also near Harrisburg.... Gander Mountain is on right off of I 83 on Rt 22.
Old June 26, 2006, 10:34 PM   #27
riverrat66

Big Kahuna,
I'm planning another trip to Cabela's in Hamburg, Pa. soon to do some "serious" shopping and might just look in on the Bass Pro in Harrisburg. They been talking about building a Bass Pro in Buffalo, NY (about 20 miles away) for the last 2 years but I'll believe it when I see it. There is a Gander Mountain about 10 minutes from my house but it does not compare to Cabela's. I like Cabela's because they have so many different brands besides the Cabela brand. In fact, I'm waiting for a delivery to arrive any day now.

I'm a Cabela's Club Card Holder and they just raised my credit limit to $20K and my wife almost had a coronary! She's afraid I might just go there and spend 20 grand. Man wouldn't that be fun! And I bet I could do it too! She thinks I'm nuts because I lay in bed reading the Cabela's catalogs.

riverrat66...out
Life Member Harley Owners Group
Old July 14, 2006, 06:07 PM   #28
jhgreasemonkey

They dont have either in my area so I have to use their online stores and the cabelas site is much better and easier to use in my opinion.
Old July 17, 2006, 04:41 PM   #29
Rembrandt

Not scientific, but here's how I'd rank them....
#1 Scheels... hands down the best firearm selection. Feature higher quality hunting products. Fabulous home decor department. Excellent reloading and ammo department. (Have been to 8 of their 20+ locations)

#2 Cabela's...good to moderate quality, nice well stocked Gun Libraries. Best selection of game mounts and acquariums. Pure entertainment with home decor and resturant. Bargain Cave is no bargain...usually 10-15% off and no returns or guarantees. (Been to all the Cabela's but two)

# 3 Bass Pro's...medium to low end quality, average wildlife displays. Average to poor firearm selection. Prices are low but so is the quality. (Been to Sprinfield and 5 other locations)

#4 Sportsmans Warehouse...Store carries mid range products, good selection of reloading and ammo. Gun selection is average....no used guns. Clothing is average quality, better than Gander Mountain. (Been to 4-5 locations)

#5 Gander Mountain...Low to medium quality, average gun selections. (Have been to 6 different locations in the midwest)
Old July 17, 2006, 07:52 PM   #30
riverrat66

Rembrandt,

I've never heard of Scheels. Where are they located and how many stores do they have? Do they have a catalog available? I'd like to check them out not that I'm going to switch because I've been shopping at Cabela's for over 25 years now but I'd still like to see what they have to offer.

I've always considered Cabela's merchandise to be top quality. In fact if I wasn't happy with anything I've ever bought I could always return even after wearing or using it! That's where they get stuff to send to the bargain cave.

I've seen Bass Pro's catalog and a store is supposed to be coming to town but they've been "talking" about it for over two years now. Never purchased anything from them though.

I wouldn't waste my time nor money at The Sportsman's Wearhouse.

Gander Mountain works for me only in a pinch and only because they're local.

BTW I buy all my firearms at my local gun shop.

Thank you for your opinion.

riverrat66...out
Life Member Harley Owners Group
Old July 17, 2006, 08:11 PM   #31
FirstFreedom

Stellarpod - OKC

Sorry it took almost 3 months to reply. Erps. Yes, right here in central OK. I stop in to the 'new' BassPro 2-3 times a week every since they built it, and bought more than a few things there, too, but since the Sportsman's Warehouse came in about what, 1 year ago, to north OKC, it's definitely my favorite place. The ONLY reason I can still be found in BassPro more often than SW is because it's much closer to me than the Sportsmans Warehouse. Of course, there are many different sizes & layouts of BassPros across the country, and none as big as Springfield. My understanding is that our OKC BP is one of the smallish ones, square-footage & selection-wise. Beautiful taxidermy/decor however. The selection is extremely lame on shooting supplies and guns and knives and ammo. Handgun ammo and reloading supply selection are abysmal at BP. Their archery area is nice/extensive however. Sportsmans Warehouse is much better on the guns, shooting, & especially reloading side of things. My favorite places to buy things in the metro, not counting gun shows, in order of preference:

--Guns: (1) Mustang Pawn & Gun, (2) Brigadoon Surplus, (3) H&H Gun Range, (4) Outdoor America Store, (5) Sportsmans Warehouse, (6) Academy, (7) Bass Pro, (8) Outdoor Outfitters, (9) Walmart, (10) C&J Sporting Goods (Bethany)

--Milsurp Rifles: (1) C&J Sporting Goods

--EBRs: (1) Outdoor America Store

--Knives (1) Outdoor America Store (N. MacArthur), (2) Sportsman's Warehouse

--Archery shop: (1) Outdoor Outfitters (39th & Portland), (2) Bass Pro, (3) Oklahoma Archery, (4) Sportsman's warehouse

--Shooting/reloading: (1) Sportsman's Warehouse, (2) Outdoor Outfitters

--Ammo: (1) Sportsman's warehouse, (2) Academy, (3) Walmart, (4) Outdoor America Store, (5) BassPro

--Tree stands & blinds: (1) Outdoor Outfitters, (2) Bass Pro, (3) Sportsman's Warehouse

--Scopes & Rings: (1) Sportsmans Warehouse, (2) Bass Pro, (3) Outdoor America Store, (4) Academy, (5) H&H Gun Range

--General Hunting Gear: (1) Bass Pro, (2) Academy, (3) Sportsman's Warehouse, (4) Outdoor Outfitters

--Most knowledgeable staff: (1) H&H Gun Range; (2) (tie) probably Sportsman's Warehouse or Brigadoon Surplus; (3) Outdoor Outfitters.

--Best friendly/helpful SERVICE on ordering oddball guns: (1) Mustang Pawn & Gun; (2) Brigadoon Surplus (3) Sportsman's Warehouse; (4) Outdoor Outfitters, (5) Outdoor America Store, (6) C&J Sporting Goods, (7) H&H Gun Range
Old July 17, 2006, 09:13 PM   #32
M14fan

Heaven

I have purchased from both. I really prefer Cabelas for many items but often use Bass Pro because they have a store nearby. Now Cabela's is building on the other side of me.

I will soon be situated neatly between equidistant Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's
Old July 17, 2006, 10:23 PM   #33
Rembrandt

River rat.....Scheels have 22 stores primarily in the midwest.

http://www.scheelssports.com/webapp/...atalogId=10101

Old July 19, 2006, 10:06 PM   #34
22-rimfire

Never been to a Cabela's retail store as of yet. I buy a lot of stuff from their catalog. Been to a number of Bass Pro's and I like the stores. Sportsman Warehouse just opened a store in SE Tennessee which I have visited a couple of times. I was expecting "better" prices than Bass Pro, but was disappointed in that department. Like the store though; not fancy. Cabela's is building their first store in the SE US in the next year north of Atlanta and I am looking forward to that store. Been to Gander Mt Store (nothing close) they are okay, but at that point in time I had not been to a Bass Pro. Hold onto your wallet!