The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 7, 2008, 04:44 PM   #1
MikeGoob

Versatility of AR vs. AK

Thinking about buying my first rifle (well ok I already have an 18" shotgun, does that count?) and with how things may shape up politically, I want to jump on something that might not be easy to get in the future. Something fun to shoot and possibly hunt with.

Im a big fan of versatility--changing out stocks, barrels/caliber to get different performance out of one gun. That said Im not TOO handy with tools so keeping all this in mind:

Which gun is more versatile--able to change barrels use kits, change cosmetically--the AK or AR?

Ive heard there are caliber kits for the AR--are there for the AK?

Thanks!
Old May 7, 2008, 04:59 PM   #2
.351winchester

Versatility, that's my gig too. You want an AR. You can go from something .22 to .50 in seconds. That .50 includes single shot .50 BMG, and the .22 meaning .22LR. In between, intermediate to light assault rifle cals, those that approach .308, all manner of SD and hunting handgun cartridges, plus similar ballistic ctg.s for SG slug and .45/70. Don't get more versatile than that.
"There's an AR for that". I wish I had the energy to launch into a list of available chamberings. I bet there is no, not rifle, but firearm, with a larger selection let alone wider range.

The AK is great for what it is (and in some ways superior), but it is what it is. Not a modular platform for a million different configurations and calibers. Last year while desitute but coming into some money to buy a gun ($400.), I figured a 7.62 WASR could cover me pretty good if I could only have one gun- plinking, HD, SHTF, plus if I ever went hunting for deer or hogs.

I advocate having both. A pet AR to lavish with TLC and whatever goodies you want, plus a cheap AK with a few mags and a case of surlpus stashed away.
M1A Scout Squad .308 also makes a superb general purpose, all around rifle, as is.
Old May 7, 2008, 05:01 PM   #3
kristop64089

The AR is essentially a modular gun. Pop out to pins and you can seperate your upper and lowers.

There are 100's of combinations for the AR. Almost all are "bolt-on's" Not so with the AK. Lot's of mod's can be done to the AK, but not as easy as the AR.

With the AR you can buy 1 or 2 lowers, and multiple uppers, giving you...many gun combos. I just sold my AK to by a 2nd AR.

Another thing to consider(which I did recently) most all AK's now, are kit guns. My beautiful Yugo, was still a CAI gun when it came down to it. If you do get a "real" AK(ie. Pre-Ban) you will pay a fortune for it.

While AR's aren't cheap, they are plentiful. It's really tough to get a "bad" one.

IMO you will be better served by the AR...and they are almost as American as the 1911.
Old May 7, 2008, 05:27 PM   #4
SR420

Quote:
MikeGoob
I want to jump on something that might not be easy to get in the future. Something fun to shoot and possibly hunt with.
Im a big fan of versatility--changing out stocks, barrels/caliber to get different performance out of one gun.

That said Im not TOO handy with tools so keeping all this in mind:

Which gun is more versatile--able to change barrels use kits, change cosmetically--the AK or AR?
The AR is supper versatile, you have every accessories under the sun and you can swap uppers.
AKs are fairly versatile and they can be reconfigured rather easily.

I have a bunch of M14s, 3 AKs and 1 AR for my girl.

My AK (T56SHTF) with an AR

T56SHTF with a MK14 SEI Mod 1

I did all the work myself except the LaRue rail on the AR, I had that done.

I hope that helps, good luck
Old May 7, 2008, 05:51 PM   #5
RockyMtnTactical

The AR15 runs circles around the AK in several ways, and one of them is versatility/modularity. It doesn't take a mechanic to work on AR15's either. It is very easy.
Old May 7, 2008, 06:10 PM   #6
HorseSoldier

+1 on the AR for versatility (among other things). AKs do have their strengths, but you can make much more dramatic modifications to the AR much more easily.
Old May 7, 2008, 06:40 PM   #7
MikeGoob

Excellent thats what I thought. Id do much more shooting if i could chamber the AR in a pistol caliber, because I usually shoot at a range that only allows pistol calibers.

Which part of an AR is the legal gun/serialized part--the 'lower'?
Old May 7, 2008, 06:45 PM   #8
Crosshair

One problem in terms of versatility is simply the costs of the different components. AR's, even the uppers, are typically very expensive compared to the alternatives.

For my example, I wanted a semi-auto .223 gun and a 9mm gun. I keep trying to like the AR, but when I look at the prices of the AR receiver and the uppers, I see that there are cheaper alternatives that work just as good.

I bought a Saiga AK for $225 and a Ruger PC-9 w/red dot for $400 I couldn't even buy the 9mm AR upper for $400.
Old May 7, 2008, 06:53 PM   #9
SR420

Quote:
Which part of an AR is the legal gun/serialized part--the 'lower'?
Yes the lower has the serial number.

You have many options when it comes to the AR upper including piston driven uppers

Good luck.
Old May 7, 2008, 06:56 PM   #10
MikeGoob

I just tried searching for conversion kits and really only found several kinds of .22 conversions. Are other kinds rare?
Old May 7, 2008, 07:06 PM   #11
Kraziken

The conversion kits can be expensive.

The pistol caliber conversions aren't a straight bolt on, like the rifle calibers either from what I've found (someone prove me wrong, because I'd like one).

------

edit,

Looks like the Olympic Arms conversion does not require modifying the lower receiver.
Old May 7, 2008, 07:09 PM   #12
SR420

Quote:
Kraziken The conversion kits can be expensive.
Oh yeah! ARs can easily be as expensive or more expensive that M14s
Old May 7, 2008, 08:12 PM   #13
kristop64089

I just picked up my "new" Oly Arms K4b(20" HBAR, A2 stock, A2 sights)
It is mulit-caliber(.223/5.56)
and the lower(read:model)number is MFR(multi-function rifle)

I called them to ask, and they told me that that particular lower can be mated to most, if not all, of their uppers.

Such a versatile platform.
Old May 7, 2008, 08:31 PM   #14
MikeGoob

so basically, if im going to want to have my AR in more than one caliber, it would be to my advantage to get this Olympic arms version?
Old May 7, 2008, 09:06 PM   #15
.351winchester

they'll all do. I like DPMS. Had a Bushmaster and it was good.
I think the Olympic 9's (and all pistol cal) have a mag well adapter built onto the mag like the old Dalphon conversions. If that's correct you'd have to get those mags and dunno how they'd fit in any mag pouch. Though would be a hell of a lot easier than swapping back to 45mm length mag well. So if you're thinking you'd like a 9mm and .223 and this info is right, yeah, their 9 upper and mags.

As others have said, this all comes at real money. like Crosshair, I never in the past messed with conversions when you can get a quality, whole other gun at the same price. Today could get into it with .22's but that's another thread.
Old May 8, 2008, 01:34 PM   #16
RockyMtnTactical

I don't care for OLY, they are what many consider the bottom of the barrel in quality.
Old May 8, 2008, 01:40 PM   #17
P99AS9

I love the AK very much, but I must say that AR's are probably the most versitle weapon around.
Old May 8, 2008, 02:31 PM   #18
MikeGoob

Thanks for all the input guys. Its kind of overwhelming though. I need to do a lot more research.

I think I should get a AR in a pistol caliber first (not 22--Id like a 9mm) so that I can at least use it at my local range. Then maybe save up for the 'real' .223 top part. BUT if you have to be really good at tinkering--Im not--maybe I should get something different entirely.
Old May 8, 2008, 03:34 PM   #19
Hk_Allday

I realize that the question was around versatility, but I want to make this one point: It really does matter what you intend to use the rifle for.

I have 2 of each. One Colt Match Target HBAR and one M4 configuration, as well as a "real" AK and a CAI M70 Underfolder.

I agree that the AR is much more versatile... however, the .223/5.56 round is FAR inferior for use in the battlespace. More & more reports from the field are indicating HT's taking direct hits from the M-16/M-4 platform and simply keep coming.

That said, I agree with a earlier post that the 308/7.62 Springfield M1A SOCOM-16 or SOCOM II is (IMO) the preferred battle rifle out of the box, but not nearly as versatile as the AR platform.

In short, if you're plinkin' at the range and looking for a platform with lots of cool toys and trinkets, I agree the AR is for you.

If you are thinking "defense", I would go with the larger 7.62 based platform, meaning SOCOM if you can afford it, AK if you can't. Both offer "some" versatilitiy, as evidenced in the threads above.

Just my $.02
Old May 8, 2008, 03:50 PM   #20
jrfoxx

As has been said, for changing out barrels and switching calibers, its a 30 second task with the AR, but with an AK it would require custom gunsmith work, that would probly cost like 2x what the gun cost. (unless there's some AK out there I have never heard about)

For stocks, handguard, grips, etc, you can change out all that with lots of custom aftermarket stuff to however you want on both equally easily (or dan near IMHO) so aside from there being a wider seletion in makers and such for the AR, there are a LOT of options near equal for the AK too, so they are CLOSE to equal on that. I chaged out the furniture on my WASR-10 with a tapco t6 collapsing stock, rubberized ergo pistol grip, railed handguards, etc, with no problems at all and it was just like an AR furniture-wise at that point.

Changed it back to original, except I refinished the wood, and repainted the gun with a better looking, more durable finish) once I got my M4, as it covered my need for a scary, "evil back rifle" and wanted my WASR to go back to th "traditiona" AK look as a representtive of them for my collection.

Heres what the WASR looked like all "AR'd" out:

Old May 8, 2008, 04:47 PM   #21
MikeGoob

purpose is defense as well as something fun. Also wanting to get one before it may not be legal anymore.

I DO like the idea of a bigger round in the AK but I really wont be able to fire it all that much if I cant use a pistol caliber at my local range. Sure i could drive a few hours another direction to an outdoor range but honestly it would make me shoot it much less. Thats really why I want the versatility--Id shoot and enjoy it much more.

Is there some other rifle entirely that fits this bill? Pistol caliber and scary black rifle caliber? It doesnt have to be a super quick to change calibers, since I would leave it as a pistol caliber most of the time.
Old May 8, 2008, 05:56 PM   #22
kristop64089

Quote:
I don't care for OLY, they are what many consider the bottom of the barrel in quality
That was very true 10 years ago, but they have turned things around lately.
I compared mine to my Ameetec, a Bushmaster, and a DPMS, and they are on Par with those.

They are not Colt's, or RRA, but they don't claim to be.
Old May 8, 2008, 06:04 PM   #23
Hk_Allday

Absolutely!!! and here it is... Hk USC .45ACP

Pictured: mine in Black, and pre-2007 in gray

OMG, I love this rifle! Ever since I picked it up, it has become my new favorite. Keep in mind it uses the standard .45 handgun round, which is good and bad. Personal defense application means, common ammo between my rifle and side arm. CQB, which will likely be the scenario if needed for personal defense, makes the compact form factor advantageous.

Down side, short effective range compared to the AR or AK, and I have not been able to find anyone who makes greater than the factory 10-rd magazine.

It is one bad-to-the-bone looking scary black rifle in my mind, and it is mil-std-1913 rail compatible with 3 front handguard rails, and one top reciever rail for all the goodies you might want to add similar to an AR format.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HK USC45_sm1.jpg (115.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg HK_USC5.jpg (5.1 KB, 26 views)
Old May 8, 2008, 06:09 PM   #24
Jermtheory

ive heard alot of nightmare stories about Oly's in just the last few years(not 10+ years ago).

Quote:
More & more reports from the field are indicating HT's taking direct hits from the M-16/M-4 platform and simply keep coming.
what exactly are "direct hits"?...and could it have anything to do with the fact that most of our boys are using the 5.56?plenty of guys have "kept coming" after being hit by a 7.62 as well,believe it or not.

edit-on second thought,dont bother...

both of these points are dead horses that i no longer have any interest in beating.
Old May 8, 2008, 06:10 PM   #25
Hk_Allday