The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old December 18, 2007, 12:48 PM   #26
The Tourist

I know that the sentiment you guys have is sincere, and that you are trying to help this student. I think you're up against more than just a few poorly constructed rules on school behavior.

I don't know if you've seen the commercial, but a fast food company runs a TV ad where an entire office freaks out over a co-worker quietly eating her lunch and cutting it with a knife.

Several months ago I watched in a food court by security for cutting a sandwich with a pocketknife.

I was later told by a friend of my wife who works mall security that she would have detained me for a "concealed weapon."

While it's too bad that a child has to go through this, much of country always attaches the idea of "weapon" to any implement they don't like. Be that a deer rifle or a salad fork.
Old December 18, 2007, 01:03 PM   #27
Elephant_Man
Registration in progress

Quote:
NO NO NO!!! Forks are pointy and can be used to stab! They should be outlawed too! They can cut their carrots with spoons!
AH! you're right, what was I thinking!?!? They can just use their hands to break it apart. Oh wait a minute...you can use hands to punch people! Man, this is a lose-lose situation
Old December 18, 2007, 01:21 PM   #28
dwc1973

lets just face it people....our common senses have been legislated upon and found to be unnecessary by congress....and forthwith we are required by law to surrender senses to the nearest local authority for the purposes of a safer and more readily oppressive government based social structure....thank you for your cooperation.
Old December 18, 2007, 02:09 PM   #29
trailgator

Common sense just isn't that common anymore. Who needs it when we we have the government to do our thinking for us?
Old December 18, 2007, 02:25 PM   #30
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

In regards to the post by The Tourist...
No dang security guard of a mall or store is going to detain me! They will end up going to the dentist! I ain't a thief or criminal and refuse to be treated as one. if my Buck 110 lockback needs to come out of my pocket to cut food, open a package or anything else legal too bad for them! If it were already out and my focus was on my dinner and someone tried to do a "take down" on me I would think I was being attacked and would use that knife on them in a hurry!
In this case it is american government taking the responsibility to self govern ourselves and use prudence in matters such as a child cutting food.

I am guilty of provoking "loss prevention experts" at walmart and similar stores. Many times I realized I was being "tailed" so I go on a "shoplifting spree"... I don't steal nothin' I just grab high ticket items and make it look as if I am but than dip around the next isle and stash it behind other items... Makes the time I wait for my wife to finish shopping go much faster! Quite Fun ya'll oughta try it some time!
Brent
Old December 18, 2007, 02:38 PM   #31
JaserST4

Knives are an easy target, given their menacing profile and are all too often unfairly restricted. They are the assault rifle of the flatware utensil world. The more insidious weapon is the spoon. Spoons enable you to ingest massive quantities of food in short order. Far more than should. Spoons make you
fat. Spoons cause heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure. Spoons kill. When will we learn. Let's start with our children, make our schools safe. Ban spoons now!
Old December 18, 2007, 03:04 PM   #32
jhansman

I just thank God someone apprehended her before she attacked the entire school. I mean, just think how much safer her classmates are with her off the streets. I can just see the tot in an orange jumpsuit telling her cell mates how she got pinched.

The world is now officially upside down.
Old December 18, 2007, 03:22 PM   #33
dwc1973

just to add....apparently good table manners and proper use of your utensils won't "cut the mustard" in our public schools anymore either.
Old December 18, 2007, 07:42 PM   #34
PWK

Have there been any news updates to this story?
Did the local authorities just quietly drop it and hope it would go away?
I checked at the website first mentioned here and they don't appear to have an update.
Old December 18, 2007, 08:02 PM   #35
homefires

HAVE YOU EVER SEEN SOMEONE KILLED WITH A SPOON????? NOT A PRITY SIGHT!

CHOP STICKS? NO THEY CAN BE SHARPPENED.

SPORKS? NO THEY CAN MAME AND SCRATCH!

NOW WE KNOW WHY THE ARABS EAT WITH THERE HAND!
Old December 18, 2007, 08:08 PM   #36
dwc1973

i didn't find anyhting new but this link will get you to the news channel's site - http://www.local6.com/index.html
Old December 18, 2007, 08:43 PM   #37
Tom2

Computers are taking over in schools. No more need to write anythng. No paper wasted and killing trees. Soon all students will have a laptop only at their desks, and be tied together in the classroom wireless network so teacher can watch your work. Then there will be no need for sharp implements like pencils and pens, and they may be banned as weapons and tools used to deface school property. Food in the lunch room may be converted into safe no chew food mush like baby food. Eat thru a straw. We are on the verge of schools looking like some bizarre sci fi scenario in the near future? Future shock?
Old December 18, 2007, 11:37 PM   #38
stephen426

Quote:
Computers are taking over in schools. No more need to write anythng. No paper wasted and killing trees. Soon all students will have a laptop only at their desks, and be tied together in the classroom wireless network so teacher can watch your work. Then there will be no need for sharp implements like pencils and pens, and they may be banned as weapons and tools used to deface school property. Food in the lunch room may be converted into safe no chew food mush like baby food. Eat thru a straw. We are on the verge of schools looking like some bizarre sci fi scenario in the near future? Future shock?
Excuse me? Laptops? Let me bash you over the head with mine and see how you fare. Imagine what a desk top computer could do! The problem is that almost anything can be turned into a weapon. If you don't believe me, ask any corrections officers and they will clear that up in a hurry!
Old December 18, 2007, 11:43 PM   #39
cold dead hands

Location: Arkansuck...I dream of the day I leave here. Never to return.
Kinda hard to bash someone with a laptop computer after they have mounted it to the desk.

The kids will have to settle for strangulation with the power cords. Those cords will be great for tying up fellow students and the teacher too.
Old December 18, 2007, 11:51 PM   #40
dwc1973

wait....no more cords cause all the touchscreens are integrated into the desk top so kids will have to resort to maiming each other with their stylus's's....wait....stylus's's's'....wait....stylus's's's's's's'....ahh, you know, those plastic pencil things's's'....wait....
Old December 19, 2007, 12:02 AM   #41
dwc1973

!!!!....styluses!!!!....
Old December 19, 2007, 12:06 AM   #42
garryc

How things have changed! My grandpa gave me a pen knife when I was in the 5th grade, I carried it all through school. I remember one time in 8th grade science class we were doing an experiment that required some strings be cut. The scissors they had were worn out. Out comes my knife so I can cut mine. The teacher took it all around the room and let the kids cut theirs. Then he brought it back to me, folded it and gave it back.

It's a wonder I didn't go slashing through the school on a murderous spree! It's a freaking tool man!
Old December 19, 2007, 12:08 AM   #43
cold dead hands

Or styli...either is acceptable for Webster.

The stylus will be attached so that it cannot be removed (with steel cable most likely) and will only be long enough to reach the furthest point on the screen.
Old December 19, 2007, 12:11 AM   #44
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

"Zero Tolerance" is a myth that a lot of buck-passing bureaucrats find too convenient to let go. This wouldn't have happened at my school, and if we have discretion, why don't they? The reality is that the state or the feds can make whatever rule they want, but unless they're going to station informers in the schools, the locals still have the power to use discretion and solve problems the best way they know how.

Some people just think it's a lot easier to point at the feds or the state than it is to explain why they panicked and did something dumb.
Old December 19, 2007, 12:13 AM   #45
dwc1973

well thank GOD that the administrators had the foresight to have the cables installed....atleast then, the children could only be forced to choke each other out....wait....dang little monsters....
Old December 19, 2007, 12:13 AM   #46
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Hey, Homefires, we're glad to have you aboard, but please STOP YELLING AT US.

Thanks.
Old December 19, 2007, 12:28 AM   #47
cold dead hands

DWC1973,

It gets better. All children will be muzzled and forced to wear soft mittens that will not allow them to actually touch another child unless they tackle them, but this will be sanctioned as acceptable Phys. Ed.

In the class room they will be unable to leave their seats and the will be manacled with chains so short that they are incapable of touching anything but their own desks.
Old December 19, 2007, 12:37 AM   #48
dwc1973

i can't believe that they haven't already implemented those measures already! for pete's sake....can't they see that all those little hannibal lecters are just out of control?

thank you to the moderator for allowing a little fun....
Old December 19, 2007, 12:56 AM   #49
Lawyer Daggit

Interesting to see American jurisdictions are caught up in this nonsence. I thought it was just Australia and the UK.

I usually carry a small pen knife, swiss army knife or a leatherman tool and actually find i use it several times a day- opening packets of paper, opening parcels,peeling fruit, opening envelopes.

A pen knife is a gentleman's tool and not a fighting tool. In the rural area that I live in, you would be unlikely to be breached for carrying this type of tool but if you went into a night venue with a sheath knife or 'tactical folder' watch out.

Urban areas in Australia also have adopted a strictly literal interpretation of knife laws and have a 'zero tolerance'.

The world is mad.
Old December 19, 2007, 01:16 AM   #50
cold dead hands

I used to work with a nice lady once upon a time who remarked that ''A man isn't a man unless he has a knife''. Guess who she would ask to borrow a knife from if she needed one for a moment

Quote:
The world is mad
Let's rephrase that so it fits the way I think of the situation.

The people running the world are insane and I am mad (as in really PO'ed).