The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 7, 2002, 01:42 AM   #26
WOLV314

I am sorry that the above mentioned event had to happen to you and your friend. I must commend you for your actions though. Your sequence of action was great. First you tried to get away from him. Then you tried a non-lethal defensive device. Then when cornered, you pulled out your lethal defensive device. When the threat was no longer a threat, you removed your finger from the trigger. Most important of all though, you and your friend made it out alive.

RIP-Gunslinger 5/17/02
NRA Life Member
Dysfuntional Ordinary Citizen Who Possesses Weapons
Old April 7, 2002, 02:03 AM   #27
bdhawk

ya did good

you did yourself proud. non lethal force first and you did not go ahead and shoot. wise since he was trying to get away.

funny about OC spray. i saw a deputy spray a very large and menacing "gentleman" of african extraction with OC spray. he dropped like a puppet with it's strings cut. the same deputy says that in his experience that about one person in ten shows little or no effect from the spray. he also had to throw in a couple of stories about folks accidently spraying themselves with the stuff. he has lost a lot of faith in humankind due to his experiences on the job. i feel it is due too much exposure to the seedier elements in society.
Old April 7, 2002, 08:04 AM   #28
SW9M

Tamara,

I read this account on the prev. post. You did good. I'm glad you and your friend came out all right. You also have shown great restrant and control for not to fire.

I would not have been so restrained. I would have shot. I been in a couple of situations with firearm drawn, but the perp was not on top of me or giving chase. If they were, I would have let the air out of the jerk. Even though I am a male, I do not engage in physical conflict. My knees will not handle it. If I do ever have to pull the trigger I just hope someone on the jury has a bum knee and will understand.

I would suggest that if you do spread the word, if there is a mention of this in police reports in the paper it would add validity to the account. A lot of females that I have spoken with just think accounts like yours are just ment as scare tactics. Proof might change that.

Thanks for the account of what happened. I've saved if to my hard drive.

Malo mori quam foedari. Malon Labe.
Old April 7, 2002, 10:15 AM   #29
MH

You saved yourself and your friend. You mentioned the key point - guns are an equalizer - if all guns were banned, you and other innocents would be at the mercy of the stronger and meaner. Of course guns cannot be banned. A black market would be created that would be similar to alcohol in Prohibition. The criminals would still have guns.
All we have to do is look at the Brits; gun control means only the criminals can have guns. The result is that they have increasing crime. Their burglary rate now exceeds ours. Over time, their murder rate will catch up.
Gun control means unilateral disarmament, of the innocent, so they can be easier victims for the criminal class.
Old April 7, 2002, 12:37 PM   #30
Futo Inu

Ya Dun Good, Bigun

Your story needs to be published far and wide.

It's scary to think that the OC is not more effective than that - good case for guns obviously. Ya know, if he was POed enough to grab you like he did, no telling how enraged he must have been after getting OCed, and what he would have done to the both of ya. Only the view of that gun's muzzle made any difference to him, eh?

And not to make light of a serious situation, but this:

"I kicked the door shut behind me, trying to buy time, but my attacker was so close behind me that it bounced off his head with a *thunk* and flew open again."

sounds like an episode of Three's Company.
Old April 7, 2002, 04:10 PM   #31
KSFreeman

O.C. stinks but I thought we all knew that here at TFL.

Anywho, glad everything came out as it did. From the line of work I'm in, I see it all the time.

As I'm certain Tamara knows catching the guy doesn't mean squat. Even if they caught the guy, he could make bond and be out. The Prosecuting Attorney (or whatever you call them down in the Land of Stars and Bars) has to convict him and the judge would have to sentence him to an executed sentence. Once in he would have to be kept in barring appeal. Then, as we all know, he's going to get out someday.

Good reasons to stay fit, eat right, wear your armour, and train, train, train.

BTW, the anti-gun movement does not want you dead, only enslaved.
Old April 8, 2002, 04:07 PM   #32
HKguy9

Tamara rules.
Old April 9, 2002, 01:39 PM   #33
ankara36

To KSFreeman;

Quote:
BTW, the anti-gun movement does not want you dead, only enslaved
Actually they'll take us either way. History has shown that tyrants (ex: Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot) don't really care how many they have to murder to maintain control. This is a good example of why we must defend the RKBA, but don't expect it to change many anti-gun minds.
Old April 9, 2002, 05:13 PM   #34
Monkeyleg

Tamara kindly gave me permission to send her story to a couple of female legislators who were on the fence regarding concealed carry. Her story, along with Elizabeth Peterson's, pushed them off the fence and onto our side.

Thanks, Tamara.