The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 22, 1999, 08:17 PM   #26
longhair

aw hell Jeff, i had him going
Don, please forgive me

------------------
what me worry?

Old June 22, 1999, 08:34 PM   #27
Hoplite

This is only a partial list of my home defense precautions but here goes:

NEXT TO THE BED: Desert Eagle .50, several tear gas canisters, a buck knife, and a large variety of chinese throwing stars.

BATHROOM: One Kalishnakov mounted on wall next to the toilet and an electric stun gun in the medicine cabinet.

CLOSET NEXT TO FRONT DOOR: One Glock 10mm, nun-chucks, a Kubaton, and a machete.

KITCHEN: SIG226 9mm inside drawer, more tear gas cansisters in the cubbard, and several Freedom Arms Mini Revolvers descretely hidden inside canteloupes in the refrigerator.

MOUNTED TO ROOF: Numerous specially modified model rockets and one black powder beer can morter.

-------------------------

....By the way, how do you make those smiley faces?
Old June 22, 1999, 08:51 PM   #28
KAM_Indianapolis

In nightstand by bed: Taurus PT99 w/2 15 round mags, 135gr JHP. Currently with trigger lock.

Under bed: Mossberg 500 12 guage, 20inch barrel, 1 turkey load, 2 00, 1 slug. Currently with trigger lock.

On person or on nighstand: KelTec P-11, haven't decided on a load for it yet, just bought on Saturday.

Also have 50 pound Lab/Shepard who knows when to bark and ADT alarm, so I don't have call the police if the BGs kick in the door.

------------------
Peace...
Keith

If the 2nd is antiquated, what will happen to the rest.
"the right to keep and bear arms."

[This message has been edited by KAM_Indianapolis (edited June 23, 1999).]
Old June 22, 1999, 08:52 PM   #29
Grayfox

Well, lets just say there is always something within easy reach. The mobile alarm system keeps watch.
Just for fun I might let my older son, 6'4" and 300 lbs, "play" for a while.
Old June 22, 1999, 09:04 PM   #30
DC
Moderator Emeritus

Let's just say you don't come here uninvited...Dante's Inferno is my house and ya can't leave unless I let you

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Old June 22, 1999, 09:05 PM   #31
Mikey

Like a lot of others...

Big-ass dog outside (1/2 Australian Shepherd, 1/2 traveling salesman) - dead bolts at the perimeter - carry gun of the day in bookcase headboard at night (cased AR-15 and mags in bedroom for seige situation).

Also in bedroom are phone, key to house (to be passed out window to responding officers), keyed locking doorknob on bedroom door, flashlight.

Last, but not least and not previously mentioned by anyone, an ADT security system with extra keypad in bedroom and panic buttons for quick contact prior to dialing 911. It also has a motion detector with zone warning light. Why is that important, you ask? If you think (but aren't sure) someone has broken in, lock the bedroom door and watch the keypad. If zone 4 lights up hit the panic button then call 911.

Mikey
Old June 22, 1999, 09:18 PM   #32
Gunslinger

Hank soaking your Louisville Slugger in oil shouldn't be in violation of any *current* federal laws.

However pine tar above the label is in violation of MLB rules.

Now not only are you on an ATF list somewhere you also have to worry about an umpire kicking in your door in the middle of the night.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Old June 22, 1999, 09:26 PM   #33
Don Morgan

Longhair, no hurt feelings here.

------------------
Society is safer when the criminal does not know who is armed

Old June 22, 1999, 09:42 PM   #34
Mal H
Staff

Damn Mikey, have you been in my house?

All I need to say is ditto with these exceptions - Briard for Aussie, mini-14 for AR, and add a cell phone.

I really like the idea of being able to watch the progress of a bg from a safe room.
Old June 22, 1999, 09:44 PM   #35
HankL

Gunslinger, Please be cool on this subject. I never had the intention of hitting any baseballs with my "Slugger" and I store my pine tar more than 50' away. The pine tar is also used only for making my hammer's grip a little more tacky. Oh no! I gave up on hammer!
Hank
Old June 22, 1999, 11:16 PM   #36
Gino

Boy, some of you guys are VERY well protected! I just keep the handgun (only a wheel gun) and flashlight by the bed at night. No hicap semiauto pistol, rifle or shotgun loaded and ready to go...

But then I don't live in an overly dangerous place. If I lived somewhere with frequent problems, I'd have to change that.
Old June 22, 1999, 11:55 PM   #37
Gunslinger

Okay ya'll got me started now on the dog thing here. In addition to four (aggresive) Chows I have a 100% pure bred Grey Timber Wolf! She'll be one year old the 8th of July and is actually quite timid with people. (Wolves only natural preditor is man.) But she scares the pure hell out of people. She has the run of the place to include the house.

Now I'm on the Missouri (the ballot fraud state) Conservation Departments list.

FBI, ATF, MLB (for Hank), MCD (for me). If anyone mentions a hokey stick we'll all go on the NHL list. (quietly)( i suspect DC has a few frozen fish she could beat an ATF agent to death with.) Maybe they could just make a short cut and just make a TFL'ers list.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Old June 23, 1999, 01:12 AM   #38
blades67

I keep a slingshot by the bed in case Goliath shows up, a 15 pound attack cat in case someone shows up with one of DC's stolen frozen fish and I've considered getting a mother-in-law for the yard to handle the small stuff. Problem with mothers-in-law is they can't be trained to release on command.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~
Old June 23, 1999, 01:49 AM   #39
Ipecac

I've got a photo of Janet Reno taking a shower that a blind friend taped to the end of a broom handle. If that doesn't stop a bg in his tracks, nothing will.

------------------
"All I ask is equal freedom. When it is denied, as it always is, I take it anyhow."

Old June 23, 1999, 07:06 AM   #40
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Jeez Ipecac, that mental pic is almost enough to make me lose my breakfast.. I would rather just get shot.

I subscribe to the 10 foot school of thought and have a K frame S&W in every room. The local cop shop had a bunch of M65s get traded in and I bought several. Same grips (Hogue), same speed loaders, same ammo.

My house long guns are - Car-15 in the safe room and a 20 ga Winchester 1200 in the kitchen.

One LabX for EW.

Giz

------------------
"Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies..." LG, RIP
Old June 23, 1999, 08:35 AM   #41
fubsy

I just have a couple of 55lb dogs that patrol the home and yard......fubsy.
Old June 23, 1999, 11:45 AM   #42
Ewok

So, do you think it's better to have one heavy, slow, dog, or several light, fast, dogs?
Old June 23, 1999, 12:00 PM   #43
Gymco

I have two vicious assault weiner dogs with surefire tactical flashlights mounted on their collars. They can rip a perps sock off in two seconds flat! ERRRR! Actually they are great watch dogs. They let me know when I need to pull out the 870 or the p90.
Old June 23, 1999, 12:23 PM   #44
Mal H
Staff

It's better to have any dog that's loud when it needs to be, size really doesn't matter. I love my Briard, she is the most intelligent dog I have ever had and she knows the difference between someone walking down the street and someone walking where they shouldn't be. I hate it when dogs bark at every little event, a cat in the yard, etc.
Old June 23, 1999, 02:01 PM   #45
Don Morgan

I have three noise makers (Cocker Spaniels) and one English Cocker. The three Cockers will bark when they hear something that does not belong aound the yard. The English Cocker is very intelligent, she will hear something at night and wake me up then lay there and growl until I get up to see what is going on outside. The only thing I really expect out of my dogs is to alert me when I'm at home, and to alert the would be perp that dogs are present on the property. Like the sign says Forget about the Dog, Beware of Owner.

------------------
Society is safer when the criminal does not know who is armed

[This message has been edited by Don Morgan (edited June 23, 1999).]
Old June 23, 1999, 07:49 PM   #46
Futo Inu

Ewok, LOL! Like my guns, I favor LARGE, FAST dogs. Sign: "Dogs Bite & Owner Shoots"
Old June 23, 1999, 08:37 PM   #47
GLV

First, for the experienced shooter, I do not think weapon commonalty is important. I keep both revolvers, DA autos, P7s, SA autos, etc, at hand.

Long guns, Shorty Colt AR, 870, or Benelli, in vehicle, 870, and .308 semi auto.

I wonder -- many have just one weapon. Many have two, and others have several. I live in a town with a population of less than 20k. I would be curious to know the population of the town, city, etc, where those who responded to this post, live. Could be edited to each post. Would we see a pattern?

In my small town, I do not fear multiple home invaders, tho not impossible. What I do fear is an over zealous BATF, DEA, or other government agency operating on rumors, bad information, or just unable to read an address. GLV
Old June 24, 1999, 01:21 AM   #48
fubsy

ewok,
Mine are politically incorrect...imagine that........i have two pitbulls, who raise the roof barking at a stranger, but will let them walk right through them......so I have the intimidation factor for the ingnorant, and the noise for me, and Im not sure if other than barking they would do anything...they both have rarely met someone that they couldnt stand-=although the two or three times they have I have followed their lead...fubsy, and as far as what firearm I would use, it would not matter which one I had.....fubsy.
Old June 24, 1999, 09:12 AM   #49
walkin' man

This is a pic of my first line of defense.

http://www.erols.com/amyndan/heidibig.jpg

Old June 24, 1999, 09:49 AM   #50
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Walkin' Man,

You oughta take that shot to Kinko's and have them turn it into a 72" poster, then laminate it and nail it to your front door.

Then put a "Gun-Free Home" sticker on the window.

------------------
"We are going to fight. We are going to be hurt.
But in the end, we will stand."
--Roland Deschain

[This message has been edited by Coinneach (edited June 24, 1999).]