The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 24, 1999, 06:12 PM   #51
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Tac-6 and Maglight beside bed.
Various pistols, depending on day. Various longarms stashed in various places. I currently have a Mossberg 500 loaded with (in order) #1, 00, and one magnum slug in my bed. A .308 is close by.

I have an insane 18-year old brother, a very intelligent but paranoid American Eskimo dog, and often various well-armed friends spending the night in other bedrooms for early warning/light defensive work.
Old June 24, 1999, 07:07 PM   #52
SlackO

Gunfighter - I would like to meet/see your wolf. I've been interested in how they would react to being pets and have always admired and loved their looks. BTW, a S&W 5906 w/laser sight has been all I've needed.

------------------
Anarchism: The radical notion that I am the sole authority when it comes to deciding what's best for me.
Old June 24, 1999, 09:05 PM   #53
Ivan8883

From: Ivan8883 6-24-99 936PM EDT Walking Man,your German Shepard is a spitting image of my 4.5 year old shepard. Maybe they are related! Mine lives in the basement at night and patrols fenced yard in dayime.I live in a small town in Western Maryland nly 5000people. I only keep 2 guns loaded in bedroom. One is a snubby 357Taurus and the other is a Smith 357 ,Model 13 with bull barrel. Both are loaded with hollow point or 38 hydroshok(original Hydroshok from Long Island) Heavy stuff is locked away in safe or elswhere and will be brought out and loaded up as we get near Y2k which probably will cause rolling blackouts across nation(My own personal opinion,of coarse) Ivan888
Old June 24, 1999, 09:15 PM   #54

Home defense?
That leads to inference that there is
Home offense. That sounds interesting, so consider:

Hiking boots by the front door, with long dangly strings to snag feet and fell the unwary cat bungler.

Sharp corners on the dresser and armoire, to gouge the thighs and sides of the trespassing perps.

2-day old chicory coffee in the Mister Coffee coffee maker carafe to choke the larcenous gluttons.

No toilet paper in the throne room, to frustrate and slow the squatters to a pants around ankles amble.

Doors that lock when pulled to, and there's no keys... but the window is only 8 floors up.

------------------
Mykl
~~~~~
"If you really want to know what's going on;
then, you have to follow the money trail."
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old June 24, 1999, 09:25 PM   #55
Darthmaum

Howdy all!

In my household, we have a relatively meager arsenal, compared to some of the other posts I've read (mmmmm, AR15, drool drool). I currently have a SIG P228 (9 mm Quik-Shox) my side of the bed, my husband has a P229 (.40 Quik Shox) on his side. Under the bed on his side we HAD a Moss 590. We sold the Moss so we could get our CHL's, here in TX. Woo hoo!

We also have one zwei-haender sword (no movie props here, this is the real shee-bang) and an authentic Scottish sgain-dhu. Both are w/n easy reach.

Guard animals: 2 very beligerent parrots, who would visciously maul ANY intruders stupid enough to stick a finger in their cage and say "Polly wanna cracker?"

Oh! and a pair of Light Sabers underneath our pillows...

[This message has been edited by Darthmaum (edited June 25, 1999).]
Old June 24, 1999, 10:53 PM   #56
walkin' man

Coineach,
I don't need the poster on the door, her favorite activity is to stare out the front window and intimidate those who pass by. That dog is so smart it spooks me sometimes, very protective of her mommy (Miss .357). The sound of gunfire causes her to cock her head a little.

Ivan8883......I live in N.VA, are there any good places to plink some bottles with evil guns in your area. I've got alot of time off soon and want to do a good bit'a shootin...drop me an email.

------------------
To be or not to be-that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune or to take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them.
Old June 25, 1999, 12:17 AM   #57
4V50 Gary
Staff

Ruger P85, Remington 870 (speedfeed stock & sidesaddle), SKS. All aren't high grade or expensive (less than $300) so if I shoot someone in self defense and the firearm is confiscated, no great loss. Hate to lose a customized 1911, Benelli or AR15 (any of which is easily $600 plus).

Call me cheap, but don't call me late for dinner.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old June 25, 1999, 12:26 AM   #58
Gunslinger

SlackO I don't know where you are but I'm located in Missouri (the ballot fraud state) and would be glad to show her off.
As I said she is actually quite shy around strangers. She's extremely intelligent and very much a "puppy" with no hope of ever growing up. She interacts well with the dogs (Chows) but is definately NOT a dog. I wouldn't trade her for the world but also would not recommend anyone to get one. Difficult to train and house break. (She is an in door/out door animal and sleeps on the couch. ) Having a wolf is definately..........different.

Walkin' Man love your dog.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Old June 25, 1999, 02:16 AM   #59
Mike A

Well, I won't be given the entire collection, but here's a tease:

M-Bdrm: My side....Glock 34 w/M3 tactical illuminator, Scattergun Technologies modified Rem 870, ASP. Her side.....SIG 230, Ruger Security Six, Surefire 6Z, ASP.

Son's room: Mini-14.

Upstairs Head: Rossi Overland double barrel coach gun (12 ga. w/18.5in barrels).

Closet: Colt carbine w/electronic sight system/light source, Knight Industries RIS w/vertical foregrip. Can't count all the mags.....strategically located throughout the casa.

Kitchen: Glock 26, Randall model 14.

Downstairs Head: American Arms .45 LC/.410 4" derringer.

Living room: Tripp/McCormick 1911 widebody in .38 Super. 20 rd mags!!! (19+1)

Garage: SIG 229, Mossberg 500 ATP.

Formal Living Room: HK P7M10

Dining Room: M11 open bolt in the linen closet.

Computer room: Rem 700 tactical shooter.

Cars: can't tell ya!

Flashlights are placed throughout the house, as well as spare mags for all the guns. This would be the wrong house to pick on the block!

Almost forgot the 72lb alarm.....black in color. He eats everything I shoot!

Cheers,
Mike

------------------
"There's gunpowder and there's pu**y. Live by one, die by the other, and love the smell of both."
Old June 25, 1999, 11:13 AM   #60
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

Mike,
So the estimate of 200,000 guns and 80 million gun owners must be wrong. Taking what you've shared with us, it must be 200,000 guns and 79 million gun owners!

(Wish you were my neighbor...)
Old June 25, 1999, 04:21 PM   #61
Mike A

Dennis,
Well, I've had guns ever since I was a kid, and will ALWAYS have them. So will my son, and his son.......

I am no way paranoid, but definately prepared. Home invasion crimes are on the rise and being prepared cuts down the possibility of being a victim. All my guns are legal and I'm a law abiding, over taxed member of the military and have been so for over 19 years. I believe in our constitutional rights granted us through the bloodshed of our forefathers, and I will carry on the mindset through my entire life. My son, who will be 12 in weeks, is being taught the same way I was: through safe, practical application of sound shooting skills development and is taught to respect the history that afford us the right to keep and bear arms. Period.

BTW: I make a great neighbor.

Cheers all!
Mike

------------------
"There's gunpowder and there's pu**y. Live by one, die by the other, and love the smell of both."
Old June 25, 1999, 05:20 PM   #62
Bushwhacker

Let's see, in the gun tower 20mm anti aircraft.
Oil in the Moat
Star war laser at draw bridge
8 storm trooper's with Janet Reno Rubber mask on.

On order: 1 catapult
1 flame thrower
1 1000 gallon tank for flamethrower

------------------
Tiro per divertimento, tiro per la sopravvivenza

Old June 25, 1999, 05:58 PM   #63
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Party at Bushwhacker's!

------------------
"We are going to fight. We are going to be hurt.
But in the end, we will stand."
--Roland Deschain

Old June 25, 1999, 06:00 PM   #64
motorep

Infrared detonated claymores.No one gets near the house but it's a bitch when Girl Scout cookie time comes around.
Old June 25, 1999, 06:36 PM   #65
kingknives

Lets see......there's Stormy (half chow/half collie) to wake me up with the "munching" sound. If there is anything left over...

SIG 229 .40 (nite sites)
Surefire light

C&S modified Hi-Power on the wifes side (but it's still my gun)

Mossberg 590 for backup.

Colt Combat elite in the living/family area.

CAR-15 and HK P-7 in the spare bedroom (for company)

Now if I could only get silencers for all so I wouldn't wake the neighbors.
Old June 25, 1999, 09:49 PM   #66
JKump

Lets see a pair of 135 lbs Rotts. that roam the yard, right behind the sign that reads "trespassers will be eaten", My nite stand, duty belt with glock 23 plus other goodies, wife's side Browning Hi-Powered, under the bed accessable from either side Winchester 1300 Defender, dresser Ruger GP 100 .357 mag. and last but not least a variety of swords through out the house.
Old June 25, 1999, 10:39 PM   #67
Simple System

Mossberg 500 12 GA.
#6 Federal Heavy Game Loads
If that doesn't take care of the problem..I'll sic' my weiner dog on 'em
Old June 26, 1999, 12:27 AM   #68
Ewok

It just occurred to me that nobody mentioned dobies. Chows make great watch dogs, but they're not the brightest pennies in the pile Are your rotts as smart as dobies?
Old June 26, 1999, 12:41 AM   #69
White Rook 2348

You guys are really loaded for bear, and have given me some great ideas.

I'm going to take that 1.2 Kiloton nuke I keep next to my bed and strap it onto the back of our weenier dog, along with a flashlight of course (will help him to see his target). Proximity detonator and we are all set. Good bye bad guys! No fuss, no muss!

White Rook 2348: Clear
Old June 26, 1999, 01:17 AM   #70
fubsy

ewok,
A good doberman is a very good watch dog, but as anything gets popular the breed deteriorates. There is usually too many breeders breeding who dont have a clue......as evidenced by the fact that 20 someodd years ago you would not have heard of a pitbull attacking a person. The dog most likely would have been killed at the first sign of aggression towards a person. Not all were, and some famous pit veterans were people biters, but they werent in the hands of kids......too much popularity can ruin anything, think of your favorite place and when it becomes popular?...fubsy.
Old June 26, 1999, 02:01 AM   #71
Gunslinger

Ewok I love my Chows but would be the first to agree that they aren't the most bright dog in the world. Their aggression is difficult to control and they are a primarily a single purpose dog.
On the good side they don't know the meaning of fear or defeat. They will charge a grizzly bear and not surrender.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Old July 7, 1999, 08:44 PM   #72
pete80

A Glock 21 and "hopefully" a Mossberg 590A1, one 3 cell Mag light and one mean Dalmatian!
Old July 8, 1999, 12:48 PM   #73
dog3

As I am always fond of saying whenever I get asked this question. "I don't have any more guns."
Old July 8, 1999, 04:53 PM   #74
antiUSSA

1 - Chow/Coyote mix (when he barks, the safety's come off!)
1 - Tec-9
1 - Mini-14
1 - 10/22 (shot loads)
1 - Winchester 1400 (000 Buck)
4 - AR's (various configs)

Most neighbors are heavily armed as well!
(Town pop. 1200)
Old July 8, 1999, 11:13 PM   #75
WEAPONSPC

Two 1919 30 cals mounted on the front posts of my four poster bed, a M61-A1 vulcan disguised as a vegimatic in the kitchen, and M-79 "bloop" in the family room. all of this of course is B.S. but in my dream reality(oxymoron?) thats the way it would be!!!

------------------
Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of cool weaponry! My American Dream!