The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 12, 2011, 06:13 AM   #1
JustThisGuy

I'll never need a gun - Part 3

Quote:
"HOUSTON—One of the men accused in the murder of a young father, who was in Houston caring for his cancer-stricken father, has been arrested and charged with murder. ...

Police say Price and his accomplice, 17-year-old Corey Trevon Perry, approached the victims as they were unloading items from their car. Perry allegedly pulled a gun, and the two suspects forced the father and son inside their apartment. ...

The father managed to escape after being pistol-whipped by Perry. When Al Mazroui attempted to follow his dad, Perry shot him twice in the side, according to police. ..."
These poor victims included a father who had just received a cancer treatment at a local hospital and his care-giving son, a young father himself. They were returning home from having prayer after the father's cancer treatment. The subjects apparently saw the son helping the father into his car and followed them home from the Mosque.

No matter who you are, no matter what you are doing, there are evil people in the world who are willing to take your life from you for a few modest valuables (or less).

Another victim who thought: "I'll never need a gun."

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Suspe...127512808.html

Mediocrity dominates over excellence in all things... except excellence.
Old August 12, 2011, 06:35 AM   #2
youngunz4life

thanx for the article, a grim reminder
Old August 12, 2011, 06:52 AM   #3
Dwight55

Whenever I hear that phrase, . . . I'm reminded of the 4 1/2 years I spent in the Navy, . . . and one particular night in downtown Saigon when I did have my M14, . . . and was seriously glad I did.

My condolences to the family, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old August 12, 2011, 06:54 AM   #4
Daryl

I carry a gun for many reasons; only one of them being SD.

I wouldn't think of getting dressed in the morning without my carry gun, and it's seldom I give SD much thought. I've shot snakes, varmints, and even dirt clods or pine cones for entertainment. If I need it, it's there.

It's just a tool I carry for various jobs.

Daryl
Old August 12, 2011, 10:23 AM   #5
Onward Allusion

This is a sad reminder of the scum that walk and breathes among us. My condolences to his family.

I don't think it is a conscious decision by many people that "they don't need a gun". I personally believe that it is more like the "life is too busy" and "I don't think about bad things happening to me" mentality. This is why sites like TFL, Cornered Cat, THR, & Survivalblog are so important.
Old August 12, 2011, 10:41 AM   #6
L_Killkenny

My condolences but posts like this really do no good and are misleading. This took place in downtown Houston. Surprise there. If I lived in downtown big city I'd feel the need to pack everyday also. But then again, I'd be smart enough to move ASAP. Also, I can find a 100 articles a day that would/could point out how valuable racing seats, helments and full roll cages are for us in everyday life. What are you doing about that?

LK
Old August 12, 2011, 10:48 AM   #7
MLeake

Vehicles? No, I don't have roll cage, helmet, etc.

Then again, I do drive a reasonably late-model Avalanche, with front and side air-bags, reinforced doors, etc. I always wear a seat belt, and insist that passengers do the same. I have good tires, in good condition, and the truck is well-maintained. I also carry insurance, to include Uninsured Motorist coverage.

I have opted not to buy cars due to safety concerns - for instance, the Mustang Cobra comes with self-sealing gas tank, but the lesser models do not. If I were to buy a lesser model, I'd pay for the self-sealing tank as an option - and I find it annoying that those aren't standard on the Mustang, and were not on the Crown Victoria.

And I have a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher in one of the tool compartments in my truck.

By the same token, I carry as a matter of routine, except when I'm going to places where I legally cannot do so.
Old August 12, 2011, 11:09 AM   #8
musher

Quote:
This took place in downtown Houston. Surprise there.
Then again the murderers FOLLOWED them home. If their home had been in a nice 'safe' suburb it's not clear it would have changed the outcome. How would this change your analysis?
Old August 12, 2011, 12:48 PM   #9
JustThisGuy

L_Killkenny, "Ill never need a gun" is a series of posts about people who did not think they would ever have the need, and were proven wrong.

Statistically, almost none of us will ever need a gun. But like seat belts, life vests, and helmets for those few individuals in those few times when they are needed, nothing else will substitute. Life or death situations can come upon us in a heartbeat.

These posts are to illustrate the point by an accumulation of true stories that TFL members can use and call upon when someone says to you "I'll never need a gun."

Mediocrity dominates over excellence in all things... except excellence.
Old August 13, 2011, 12:10 AM   #10
youngunz4life

justthisguy

Quote:
Statistically, almost none of us will ever need a gun. But like seat belts, life vests, and helmets for those few individuals in those few times when they are needed, nothing else will substitute. Life or death situations can come upon us in a heartbeat.
and of the four examples you gave, only one saves your family. as in, you can deploy your firearm in sd/hd to protect your family, the others are for one person. I have a responsibility to protect my spouse & children. It is my job (our job) to make sure our kids make adulthood, and that is probably the main reason why I own firearms.
Old August 13, 2011, 03:12 PM   #11
AH.74

Quote:
My condolences but posts like this really do no good and are misleading. This took place in downtown Houston. Surprise there. If I lived in downtown big city I'd feel the need to pack everyday also.
You think this could or would only happen in a large city, not a smaller city or town? Think again.