The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 14, 2022, 02:41 PM   #1
Prof Young

Need Laser Sight advice/suggestions.

I put a cheap ($20) tacticon laser sight on my 9mm kel tek sub2000. Well, you get what you pay for. The tacticon is accurate enough, but it won't stay on. I shoot half a magazine with the laser on and then it disappears. I have to push the on switch multiple times to get it back on.

Anyway, I think I need a better laser. What can I get that's good for $100 or less?

Life is good
Prof Young
Old March 17, 2022, 10:26 AM   #2
Bob Willman

I have the same problem with a Viridian laser on my XDS 45. It might stay on for 2 shots before it goes out, but the bullet hits where the dot was. I have no problem with open sights, especially at the normal self defense distances. I have no intention to spend big bucks on another laser. Hopefully the dot on the bad guy will negate the necessity to pull the trigger.
I know this plan will not be liked by the die-hard self defense guys.
Old March 17, 2022, 11:03 AM   #3
MarkCO

Holosun and Crimson Trace are as low as I can recommend to still be reliable.
Old March 17, 2022, 12:23 PM   #4
corneileous

Although pretty expensive, Crimson trace is about the best you can have when it comes to pistol lasers. I put a Crimson trace laser guard sight that a little push button momentary switch right where the trigger guard meets the grip on a Ruger LC9S 9 mm that I used to have and it worked wonderful. I’d love to have pretty much the same thing as that on my little Springfield XDE 45 but unfortunately Crimson trace only makes one of those for the XDS version and not the XDE.

I used to have an Armalaser GTO on my Springfield but it just wasn’t very good quality so I ended up taking it off but for the life of me I can’t remember the brand that makes a pistol laser that is universal for pistols that have rails that has this little little tiny motion detector on the front of it so that whenever you grip the handgun, it senses when you do that and it turns the laser on and then turns the laser off when you let go the grip but like I said, I can’t remember the brand that makes it.

As far as I’m concerned if I’m going to have a laser sight on my pistol I want it to be one that I don’t have to manually turn on before I want to use it because in my opinion that kind of defeats the purpose of having a laser on your pistol if you have to reach up there with your trigger finger and turn it on before you shoot it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk