The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 22, 2008, 07:14 PM   #1
SiNNiK

The wife wants one too!

It's taken her a little while, but she's grown ok with having firearms, and now she wants one too. She wants a .22 revolver like an EAA Bounty Hunter:

http://www.gundirectory.com/more.asp...3&gun=Revolver

or an Uberti 1873 Stallion:

http://www.gundirectory.com/more.asp...0&gun=Revolver

Can anyone tell us about these guns, or about some similiar, but better, guns?

Thanks
Old April 22, 2008, 11:03 PM   #2
Teuthis

Better

I would make sure she gets something functional for self defense. Smith and Wesson makes their Airlites and you do not have to shoot +P in them. I don't. I use Silvertips.

If she wants a .22 then there are good options from Smith and Wesson and others. I recommend to go for the best quality so the trigger will be good. That is extremely important in shooting revolvers.

Ruger now has their LCP, and if you wait a while they will be generally available. It's semi-auto but double action only.

Good luck choosing!
Old April 22, 2008, 11:55 PM   #3
timothy75

Dont forget the ruger single six which can be had with adjustable sights.
Old April 23, 2008, 12:13 AM   #4
SiNNiK

Thanks Y'all. We're not wanting to get her a self defense gun just yet, although I'm wearin her down !

This purchase is geared more toward getting her something she'd be excited going to the range with, and she really liked both of these guns at first sight.

I think the style appeals to her because she has small hands and these look like they would be a good fit for her. I'm just happy she's getting into it!
Old April 23, 2008, 03:14 AM   #5
Majic

What in the world does the da Smith revolvers, Ruger LCP, or a lesson in SD have to do with someone asking about a .22lr single action revolver? Anyway back on the subject at hand, one thing to consider when looking at .22s is to consider adjustable sights. You will be mighty lucky to get a revolver that shoots the ammo it like right to the sights. The bigger adjustable sights are easier to see and use also (which is a big help for newer shooters). The Super Single Six Ruger is an excellent example.
Old April 23, 2008, 05:35 AM   #6
b.thomas

Have your wife look at a ruger bearcat; smaller then a single-six and available in ether stainless or blue.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...ariation=Blued
Old April 23, 2008, 06:39 AM   #7
SilentHitz

The single six was my 1st handgun, and I loved it, but after seeing the new Bearcat I have to say it's a beautiful revolver.

I think either would be a great choice. I've owned several rugers of all types, and they're very reliable. Whatever she decides on, enjoy the time shooting togather.
Old April 24, 2008, 06:43 AM   #8
SiNNiK

That's the plan SilentHitz !

Speaking of which, if she ends up getting something with a fixed sight, is there a way to compensate if it doesn't hit at point of aim? Or do you just have to know where that particular gun shoots in relation to the sight?

O and Majic, Super Single Six, we'll check it out. Thx.
Old April 24, 2008, 07:46 AM   #9
SilentHitz

Usually I just leave fixed sights alone, and compensate for what little difference usually exists.

If it's too far off, you can adjust for high or low by filing the front blade or rear notch, or have a gunsmith do it if you've never done it. Of course you have to "touch up" on a blued finish, or re-polish a stainless.

Most modern fixed sights are designed pretty good, and don't really need this procedure though.
Old April 24, 2008, 07:53 AM   #10
fbrown333@suddenlink

revolver

+1 on the Ruger single six and as an added bonus you can get it with the optional .22 mag cylinder for when she gets better and wants to step it up a notch (BAM!) I used to have one and they are very smooth and reliable.
Old April 24, 2008, 09:48 PM   #11
Majic

Quote:
Most modern fixed sights are designed pretty good, and don't really need this procedure though.
Most if not all modern fixed sighted guns have sights that are exactly same as they were when they were developed in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Just like back then you had to either file or weld up the front sight for elevation and either open up the rear sight or turn the barrel for windage if you want the revolver to shoot to the POA and not use Kentucky windage. Nothing has changed.