The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 26, 2007, 03:55 AM   #1
2cooltoolz

deleted

Last edited by 2cooltoolz; November 26, 2007 at 01:19 PM.
Old November 26, 2007, 07:00 AM   #2
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
It may seem laughable to those who live inland, but on the Gulf Coast we learn to stock up; keep canned food, gallon bottles of water, batteries, flashlights and lanterns, reserves of gasoline.
You are right, it is laughable. Every time a hurricane approaches, the news shows folks panic buying supplies. Apparently huge numbers of y'all don't get the message about remaining stocked.
Old November 26, 2007, 09:36 AM   #3
Tanzer

We have a place 250 miles away in the mountains of Maine. My kit is a little different form your's. Less knives, a 270 WSM with a decent scope, a Mossberg 500 with various loads (a man needs to eat), and I keep a compund bow up there in case I ever needed to do something quietly (hate to sound like a survivalist, but firearms echo through the mountains). We also have the "non-weaponry" stuff like water tablets, extra chainsaw etc.
Old November 26, 2007, 10:09 AM   #4
SundownRider

Just curious. Four of the knives you show are throwing knives. What purpose would they serve in a bugout situation that the other knives couldn't accomplish?
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old November 26, 2007, 10:17 AM   #5
JBriggs

Don't forget a first aid kit. Include sutures and antibiotics and other items not commonly found in over-the-counter kits.

Last edited by JBriggs; November 26, 2007 at 10:18 AM. Reason: spelling eror
Old November 26, 2007, 10:38 AM   #6
bigghoss

I keep a first aid kit, axe, hatchet, large assortment of tools, and vehicle recovery gear, as well as blankets and an extra pair of boots in my blazer all the time. this pretty much takes up all the room behind the back seat but what else am I going to do with it?

the kicker is though, in the rural town I live in about the only thing thats going to happen would be something bad at the chemical weapon demil plant that I work at. so instead of bugging out, I have to go to work...
Old November 26, 2007, 10:54 AM   #7
Wuchak

If you don't have them in the kit already I suggest adding a good book on edible plants and one on trapping with snares. Also a good sized roll of snare wire and wire cutters. It's easier to keep the pot filled using snares than with a firearm plus they don't make any noise and you don't use up ammo that might be hard to replace in a disaster.

Don't forget some type of water purification as well. I like the Aqua Mira drops. The bottles are compact, it kills viruses and bacteria, adds no chemical taste to the water, and unlike a filter it can't clog. Each set of small bottles will treat 30 gallons of water.
Old November 26, 2007, 10:55 AM   #8
Manedwolf

Not sure what rhyme or reason there is there...

To me, the most logical thing for a grab-and-go would be a Sub 2000 folding carbine and semiauto handgun that use the same magazine, along with one's "usual" sidearm if that isn't it, a backup gun, and deep cover backup gun.

Working knives are useful. Throwing knives? If you're bored, I guess...
Old November 26, 2007, 05:04 PM   #9
Big Don

Just curious

So what's with the OP being deleted? And how long before this turns into a SHTF thread???
Old November 26, 2007, 05:47 PM   #10
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And how long before this turns into a SHTF thread???
Uh... seems like it already has .

I don't see much about handguns here, and there isn't much point in continuing this with the OP deleted.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread