The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old August 28, 2002, 11:36 AM   #1
jmlv

Whats the difference between a "commonwealth" and a "state"?

I used to live in the state of NJ thankfully I revently moved to the Commonwealth of Pa. Now other than the much more intellegent gun laws what is the difference between the two?(state and commonwealth)
MOLON LABE!
Old August 28, 2002, 11:48 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Essentially, there isn't any. It's all in the name, and what the residents or legislators of that political entity choose to call it.

The most basic meaning of commonwealth is "a state that functions with the common consent of the people."

Well, that describes all (or perhaps most) of the 50 states, as well as the US government.

Essentially, any democracy or representative republic can be considered to be a Commonwealth.

Interesting factoid about me...

I've lived in two Commonwealths (Pennsylvania and Virginia) and one District (Washington, DC). I've never lived in a "state."

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 28, 2002, 12:00 PM   #3
BigG

Not really. You forgot you often resided in the state of ignorance and state of ornery.

Jus funnin, Mikey!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old August 28, 2002, 12:19 PM   #4
Blackhawk

You forgot the state of Confusion....
Old August 28, 2002, 12:35 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm going to welcome both of you to your new homes, the State of Relentless Pain...

Old August 28, 2002, 02:18 PM   #6
C.R.Sam

Mike left infinite openings.

Sam
Old August 28, 2002, 02:23 PM   #7
DMK

Quote:
Now other than the much more intellegent gun laws what is the difference between the two?
Mass. is a commonwealth, so that negates the "more intellegent gun laws" part.
Old August 28, 2002, 03:13 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

Two words that mean the same. In VA, the term state is used far more often than commonwealth even though it is officially a commonwealth. For example, the Virginia State Police never called themselves Virginia Commonwealth Police.

I believe Kentucky, the 4th commonwealth, took the name since they were broken off of The Commonwealth of Virginia way back when.
Old August 28, 2002, 03:33 PM   #9
johnbt

I believe, IIRC, that the word commonwealth was used in the 1700s the way we would use word republic.

John
Old August 28, 2002, 04:54 PM   #10
Poodleshooter

There are some legal differences for business law purposes, but I cannot remember for the life of me!
Old August 28, 2002, 05:28 PM   #11
KSFreeman

No difference. State laws can vary widely.

KSFreeman, resident of state of mild pique.
Old August 29, 2002, 12:49 AM   #12
Jeff OTMG

In the case of Pa. and Ma. there is no difference, they are both states. A state has residents who are U.S. citizens with full voting privledges and representation. A territory (Puerto Rico, Guam) have residents who are citizens and can vote for a U.S. Representative who has no voting power in congress. A commonwealth (The Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands) is an independent country with its' own political system though it is still governed by the laws of the U.S.
Old August 29, 2002, 01:35 AM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

Jeff,

I believe Puerto Rico is also termed a Commonwealth, isn't it?

Old August 29, 2002, 06:30 AM   #14
Hal

The way it was explained to me in a public school back in the late 50's, in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania:
A Commonwealth has laws based on common law.
A State has codes which are based on statute.

At one time, prior to the upheavel in US legislature in 1913/1914, there was a clear difference. Today, with the shift away from common law towards legislated codes, there isn't.

Some weird and subtle differences are still there tough. Mass.(Commonwealth)still calls their State laws, General Laws, while Ohio (State) calls their State Laws the Ohio Revised Code and Pennsylvania has both Consolidated Statutes(legislated codes) and Unconsolidated Statutes (common law). Ky,(Commonwealth) revised their State laws, beginning in 1936 and ending in 1942, into Statutes.

Certain things that are 100% acceptable under Statute can fail the test of Common (good for everyone) Law and vice versa.
Old August 29, 2002, 07:54 AM   #15
K80Geoff

The vast majority of Americans live in the state of Apathy
Old August 29, 2002, 11:36 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'd agree with that Geoff, if only I could bring myself to care...

Old August 29, 2002, 02:38 PM   #17
dZ

Main Entry: com·mon·wealth
Pronunciation: -"welth also -"weltth
Function: noun
Date: 15th century
1 archaic : COMMONWEAL 2
2 : a nation, state, or other political unit: as a : one founded on law and united by compact or tacit agreement of the people for the common good b : one in which supreme authority is vested in the people c : REPUBLIC
3 capitalized a : the English state from the death of Charles I in 1649 to the Restoration in 1660 b : PROTECTORATE 1b
4 : a state of the U.S. -- used officially of Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia
5 capitalized : a federal union of constituent states -- used officially of Australia
6 often capitalized : an association of self-governing autonomous states more or less loosely associated in a common allegiance (as to the British crown)
7 often capitalized : a political unit having local autonomy but voluntarily united with the U.S. -- used officially of Puerto Rico and of the Northern Mariana Islands
Old August 30, 2002, 05:46 PM   #18
Jeff OTMG

I guess PR is a commonwealth, I always thought that they were a territory.