The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 22, 2022, 01:10 AM   #1
crowtalks

Acquired a 1908 Greener Cadet

I picked up a nice little Greener Cadet rifle the other day...

At some point someone modified a 03 Springfield buttstock and added it to my rifle, but I also got an original Cadet buttstock with the weapon. It is nice and tight and fires fine. I already had some 32-20 ammo, brass and dies so I thought, why not? I will add some pics in a bits. I always wanted a Greener and even though it isn't a shotgun. it checks off a box...

Here is some info I could find on it and any corrections or additional info is welcome...These little firearms were designed by Greener as trainers for the Australian Military. Greener designed them off the same Martini action that the Australian Army was currently using as a service weapon chambered in 303. These trainers were chambered in a more diminutive 310 round.

Apparently some of the US importers rechambered some of the rifles in 32-20 which was a well known round back when they started importing these things in the 50s to help sell them.

From what I have read, all the Greener rifles were made and sold in 1908, and then a couple of years later The Australian Government asked BSA and others to pick up the contract for a few more years.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greener 1.jpg (363.0 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by crowtalks; December 22, 2022 at 10:44 AM.
Old December 22, 2022, 08:27 PM   #2
Ricklin

Great that you got the original wood with the gun. That looks like a fun project to be put back to it's original config.
The stock in the pic looks pretty glossy, I'm sure that can be corrected.