The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 28, 2024, 08:10 PM   #1
redlightrich

1911 full length guide rod

Hi All. I own several kimber 5" 1911s. I usually remove the full length guide rod and replace it with a government size guide rod. My reason is the full length one is a PIA to take apart. I clean my guns after mostly each use and I don't like using the plastic tool. It just makes it so much harder. Does the full length offer any benefit beyond adding an ounce or two to the muzzle end? How do others feel about it? Is accuracy enhanced outside the additional muzzle weight?
I am curious as to how others feel and approach this. I have very accurate 1911s that have the standard short rod.
I welcome thoughts on this and wonder why Kimber adds this part?

Ty

Rich
Old March 28, 2024, 08:31 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I'm sure Kimber, like other makers of 1911s, installs full-length guide rods because they think that's what customers want, so they think it will help them sell guns.

I'm like you -- if I accidentally come into possession of a 1911 with a full-length guide rod, I replace it with a standard guide rod at the first opportunity.
Jeepaholic
Old March 28, 2024, 10:33 PM   #3
Super Sneaky Steve

If it needed one JMB would have put it there.
Old March 29, 2024, 12:52 AM   #4
stuckinthe60s

got rid of all of mine early on.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old March 29, 2024, 05:47 PM   #5
rodfac

Quote:
I'm sure Kimber, like other makers of 1911s, installs full-length guide rods because they think that's what customers want, so they think it will help them sell guns.
I'm like you -- if I accidentally come into possession of a 1911 with a full-length guide rod, I replace it with a standard guide rod at the first opportunity.
Yep....Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old March 29, 2024, 07:49 PM   #6
redlightrich

Thank you all who replied. I kind of thought it was a gimmick. None of my other 1911s have them, nor do my 2011s. They are just a PIA. I have replacement parts on the way. I love 1911s. I very much dislike the full length guide rod.
Thank you for sharing your similar opinions

Rich
Old March 30, 2024, 12:13 AM   #7
Nick_C_S

My Kimber has a full-length guide rod and I too think it's a pita to deal with.

Not sure why, but it never dawned on me to just replace it with a conventional type. I'm going to do that.

As already mentioned: If the 1911 needed one, JMB would have designed it with one.
Old March 30, 2024, 12:56 AM   #8
Jim Watson

My FLG likes them so I have several. I can’t see an advantage except a little forward weight.
Old March 30, 2024, 07:27 AM   #9
PzGren

My Nowlins have the FLGR, while my Colts have the standard short ones. I have no issues disassembling them and if it ain't broke, I'll surely not fix it.
Old March 30, 2024, 08:14 AM   #10
jar

My Girsan MC1911C XLV has a one piece full length guide rod and it's not much more difficult to field strip than the standard shorties and doesn't require a tool or paper clip. It works and so I haven't changed anything. It does require the small diameter flat recoil spring though so I need to get around to ordering a spare or three.
Old March 30, 2024, 09:36 AM   #11
Jim Watson

That’s the difference between being designed that way and having a long rod scabbed on to an existing gun.
Old April 4, 2024, 08:15 PM   #12
redlightrich

Hello again, the Kimber version has a very thin edge on the recoil spring plug. My hands ( very calloused) can't easily take them down without the tool.
I have purchased the new plug and GI style guide rod, and will remove the full length. If it doesn't add accuracy, then it is is just a gimmicky PITA. To me, the ability to strip my pistol down without tools is more valuable than the full length rod.
I own several Kimbers and have removed them all. I will change this one out this weekend. If accuracy remains the same, I will feel happy about it.
I will report back about my results.

Ty

Rich
Old April 5, 2024, 07:40 AM   #13
Mongo_Bongo

Put an flgr in one of mine years ago when it was the current hot ticket. It does rack smoother and may have a minuscule bit less felt recoil due to increased weight. Other than that, no benefits that I notice. Would I bother again? Probably not.
Old April 8, 2024, 07:33 PM   #14
redlightrich

Hi All, just wanted to follow up my post. First, this is in a Kimber Custom LW 45acp which has an aluminum frame. A full 7+ ounces less than an all steel 1911. Anyway I switched out to a government length guide rod ( Wilson Combat) and govt. front plug by Kimber.

Accuracy ( as far as I can tell) is the same, however, to my surprise, I notice a bit more muzzle flip. It definitely has a bit harsher recoil. I don't really care about the extra recoil or muzzle flip as it isn't bad. I can still hit at point of aim. I will chalk it up to being a lighter 1911. Anyway, the ease of take down is well worth it.
I thought this may be helpful to anyone pondering a FLGR in the future. To me it simply isn't worth the extra effort.

Be well

Rich
Old April 8, 2024, 09:30 PM   #15
RickB

I had a gun with a cast frame that apparently had not been machined where the guide rods seats, and a short guide rod would rock around and not remain seated, so a FLGR allowed the slide to help locate the rod and I never had any further trouble with it.
Another gun had a tungsten FLGR in it for a while, and if you want some additional weight to counter recoil, that's exactly where you want it.
For a multi-caliber gun with more than one top end, the FLGR does make swapping easier.
In general, I don't see a benefit to balance the more difficult disassembly and reassembly.
Old April 8, 2024, 09:59 PM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB
For a multi-caliber gun with more than one top end, the FLGR does make swapping easier.
How does a full-length guide rod make swapping top ends any easier? If anything, I think it would make it more difficult, since it makes field stripping more difficult. Swapping top ends is nothing more than field stripping and reassembling with a different slide, barrel, and recoil spring.
Jeepaholic
Old April 9, 2024, 08:16 PM   #17
redlightrich

Hello Rick, your comment is confusing me? The FLGR is harder to take down than a govt plug. At least I think it is?
Please explain

Ty

Rich