The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 5, 2007, 09:24 AM   #26
Fremmer

I'm always the most nervous climbing up and down those stands. Now I'll be even more nervous.

Thanks for sharing the story, I'll try to be even more cautious, and I'll pray for your speedy and full recovery. Try not to get too discouraged during the recovery, and work hard in physical therapy.
Old October 5, 2007, 03:18 PM   #27
FirstFreedom

For me the most dangerous part is transitioning from the top of the climbing sticks, positioning myself ONTO a strapon stand - that can be precarious. Once I get more than 6 or 7 feet off the ground, the harness is on the tree, on strapon & climbing stands. I'll admit that on large 2-man buddy stands, I do not use a harness at all, either climbing or when on top - ladder stands are far safer than a climber or a strapon with sticks or steps.
Old October 5, 2007, 07:47 PM   #28
rantingredneck

Thanks to all for the kind words of encouragement. I'm up and about more the last couple of days. I went to the Spine Center at UNC today to get the stitches out and all is well so far. The incision is healing well with no signs of infection. I go back in a month for another set of Xrays and at that time they'll make the call on whether I'm healed up enough to go back to work and to shed the brace. I'm a desk jockey so work should be a go at that point. I may still be in the turtleshell though. Damn thing is hot is my only complaint. But hey at least I'm alive to complain right?
Old October 5, 2007, 09:39 PM   #29
rantingredneck

Quote:
RR, just curious I know several of the medics that work in Alamance.
Yeah, my wife knew half the ones who came out to get me that day. Went to high school with them.
Old October 5, 2007, 10:59 PM   #30
Wildalaska

Hey Rant when I get down to NC to see my mom, lets go hunting

WildfeeelingbettertodayihopeAlaska TM
Old October 6, 2007, 09:45 AM   #31
rantingredneck

Sounds good to me. Hope you don't mind but I won't be repeating my skydiving act.

I asked at the doctor's office yesterday when I could head back to the range. I got dirty looks from both the doctor and my wife when I started quoting recoil energy tables.
Old October 6, 2007, 01:14 PM   #32
nickE10mm

Amazing... wow.

Thank you so much for the story...very well written and quite descriptive. I am really sorry about what happened to you. You went through a lot .. and for something that you love doing. You're story actually brought a tear to my eye thinking about all of the pain you went through.

I haven't actually gotten my new treestand yet (was going to within a few weeks) and ALWAYS planned to use a harness NO MATTER WHAT... this story just seals in my intentions.

Please get well soon and my thoughts and prayers are with you. Hopefully you will make a full recovery and can get back out in the field SOON. I recommend that Black Rifle for the most complete recovery, too.

Nick
Old October 7, 2007, 10:02 AM   #33
rantingredneck

I'm a truly sick man :)

I got tired of just carrying my little .32NAA whilst out and about the last couple days. I'm more used to a the comforting weight of a .45 on my hip. The trouble is the turtleshell brace I have to wear comes down past my hips and makes belt carry of a weapon impossible.

I went to Gander mtn. last night and purchased an uncle mikes belt slide nylon holster and adapted it to fit the velcro straps that hold my turtleshell back brace in place. I am now back to normal in terms of my daily armament .

My wife was perplexed as to why I was doing this. I reminded her that now more than ever I would be unable to fend off an attack without a defensive firearm. I also reminded her that criminals tend to prey on the weak. The walker I've been using the last week makes me feel like a gigantic target.
Old October 10, 2007, 11:42 PM   #34
capitan-d

Thats too bad what happened, Its good to hear your recovering well. Good luck and happy hunting!

devin
Old October 11, 2007, 07:32 AM   #35
ActivShootr

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery. Share the story with as many people as possible man. Hunter/treestand saftey cannot be stressed enough.
Old October 16, 2007, 04:37 PM   #36
castnblast

Consider yourself blessed, and Thank God that you are not paralyzed. It truely is miracle you aren't paralyzed or dead. Hope you get better soon...
Old October 16, 2007, 04:42 PM   #37
Wildalaska

Quote:
The walker I've been using the last week makes me feel like a gigantic target.
Mount a GE Minigun on the walker

WildthatsokinmybookforopencarryAlaska ™
Old October 16, 2007, 07:08 PM   #38
rantingredneck

Now that made me laugh so hard I'm hurting now. LOL. But it was worth it. I'll make a tactical walker that will rival the tactical wheelbarrow.
Old October 16, 2007, 07:12 PM   #39
rantingredneck

I will say though that I am using the walker less and less each day. I had it with me at the Lexington Gun show on Sat (yeah I'm feelin that good that I'm hittin the shows ) but that was just cuz I expected a lot of walking. Around the house I don't have to rely on it at all. If we go into a store like Walmart or Target I'll get one of those little old fart carts and cruise around on it. I usually get funny looks at 34 asking to use one unless I leave the top of my button down shirt open just enough for them to see the back brace. As if the limp isn't enough

Either way like I told WA in a PM a little while ago, they've changed my pain meds to milder versions and I'm as comfortable or more without as much of the narcotic side effects. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be back to normal. Or as normal as I started anyway.
Old October 16, 2007, 07:19 PM   #40
Wildalaska

Quote:
Or as normal as I started anyway.
Thats better than me I started out abnormal and have been going down from there!

WildwaynerooneyisgodAlaska ™
Old October 16, 2007, 07:40 PM   #41
srtrax

Quote:" fart cart" I just about busted a gut on that one, I'm careful about stands, not real crazy about heights anyway. But i also use a branch to lift my ass up into the stand, sorry this had to happen to you and hope you heal quickly. I'll have this on my mind everytime i grab that branch, better yet, i'll come up with something better. Gods speed
Old October 16, 2007, 07:43 PM   #42
rantingredneck

If I were you I'd stick one of those screw in steps in in place of that branch. That's what I plan to do the next time I'm able to use that stand. I also plan to get one of those prussic knot type harnesses to use whilst climbing too.
Old October 16, 2007, 07:47 PM   #43
rantingredneck

Quote:
Quote:" fart cart" I just about busted a gut on that one,
Did you know the weight limit on those things is 650lbs??? I didn't either till I started using them here lately, but I kinda figured it was pretty high from previous observations of their use.
Old October 16, 2007, 07:55 PM   #44
rantingredneck

On a more serious note.....

On Sunday my father in law wanted to go out to check his bait stations (yes hunting over corn piles is legal in NC and we do it). Especially this year with the drought, there's just not much food around for the deer. He had put out corn with some of that c'mere deer stuff on it a week prior. There was a hole dug in the ground already where the deer were after that stuff. I had a timed feeder near the stand I fell from and I wanted to yank the batteries on it so the motor wouldn't burn up while not throwing any corn (I knew it had to be empty by now). We went out to the area. Had a nice chat with the landowner who was very happy to see me up and around. He's a real good fellow.

After we checked my father in law's stations and I went to pull the batteries on my feeder for now I walked over to the stand I fell from and just looked at it. Standing there looking up at that height and where and how I landed I almost started bawling. I started thinking about my wife and kids and what it would be like if I had left them that day, and never got to see my daughter and son grow up or missed out on the joys of growing old together with my wife. It was very emotional. I feel like a very lucky and BLESSED man. I got a second chance at life. It could have been over for me that day, or it could have been very seriously altered. It really makes you think.......
Old October 17, 2007, 07:43 PM   #45
FirstFreedom

Man, that really does make you think and impart a new perspective. So is it safe to say that the backpack you had on is the difference between being paralyzed or not?
Old October 17, 2007, 07:58 PM   #46
rantingredneck

It's hard to say whether it protected me or actually did damage. It's more like one of those waist packs that has shoulder straps too so you can carry more. In the pack were a flashlight (Gerber Carnivore), A 32oz bottle of water, an FRS radio, and a simple safety belt (non-harness type) that I have traditionally used in that stand. Hard to say whether landing on that stuff did the breaking or maybe padded my landing from other stuff that was already on the ground. I had just rebuilt my stand last year and had left a small stack of 2x6's and 2x10's (short pieces of each) at the base of it for any further needed repairs. I landed on at least one board from that stack I think.

Overall it's hard to say whether the pack protected me or did damage. Who knows?

I just started getting EOB statements from my insurance company today on what it cost to put me back together again. So far the EOB's are adding up to just north of 111,000.00 for my little slip. Luckily I've got a 3K out of pocket maximum per year that I'm responsible for. I think I'm gonna hit it shortly. Not quite there yet.
Old October 20, 2007, 07:30 PM   #47
BIGR

Glad you are still here with us. The main thing is you kept your composure and was able to use the cell phone that you had taken on your hunt. I usually try to keep my cell phone (in vibrate mode) in my shirt pocket, just in case something happens. We all try to think that it will not happen to us but bad things do happen to good guys. Hang in there and get well soon.
Old October 20, 2007, 07:52 PM   #48
Hello123

You are one of us and our hearts go out to you. Thanks for the info. I will be more careful next time I go.
Old October 20, 2007, 08:08 PM   #49
rantingredneck

Thanks guys. I'm up and around more and more each day. A little more sore today for some reason than the last couple days, but overall the progress is in the right direction.

My father in law and I have been hunting partners for 10 years or better at this point and we always both carry FRS/GMRS radios and cell phones. I couldn't get to my FRS radio that day as it was in my pack and I couldn't reach it due to the pain of the injury. Luckily my cell phone was in a case on my belt at about 10 o'clock so it was easy to reach. I was so out of it, though, that as I was thumbing through my saved numbers I couldn't find his. Thus me calling my mother in law first (and being thought a pervert ) and then my wife, who eventually reached my Father in Law and EMS.

One of our normal practices as we leave each other in the morning or evening to head to our stands is to give it 30 mins and key up each other to make sure we made it up into our stands OK. By "Key up" I mean click your FRS radio Key twice and then the response is 2 clicks in return. If you have the right radio and keep the volume low this just gives a small static sound twice. It's just another way we keep tabs on each other.

Needless to say, even if I hadn't got hold of my cell phone my father in law would have been concerned soon at me not keying him back and would have come to check on me pretty soon.
Old October 20, 2007, 09:05 PM   #50
c2po

I am sort of new here but I am glad you are okay. I do have a question please don't think me to be rude but I live in FL. and have been looking at buying a treestand and was wondering which type is the best the Lockon or the Climber?