The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 31, 2005, 09:27 PM   #1
Who Dey

SKS Problem

I just came back from the range to try out my new(to me) SKS. I ran into a little problem. It will not eject a shell when you shoot it. It will only eject if you pull the bolt back after each shot. It shoots like a single shot. I took the gas cylinder apart when I got home and cleaned it real good. A guy that was at the range watched as I shot,and he said the plunger? that throws the bolt open was barely moving. Anyone own an SKS that's had this problem?
Old July 31, 2005, 09:38 PM   #2
TomG160

very similar problem

When I first shot my Yugo I had that problem. Everyone suggested I double check that the gas valve was in the correct position to fire semi-auto (which it was). After sniffing around some more, I found others with the same problem. Mine had a gas leak between the gas valve you can turn and the gas tube. It was suggested that I wrap a tailored paperclip or wire around the bell of the gas valve to tighten the fit. I used a paperclip and it's worked fine for the 200 rounds I've shot since. I don't plan on using this as a permanent fix for mine, just until my gas valve comes in. But, at least it's a very simple way to see if that's where your gas leak might be.
Hope it helps,
Tom
Old July 31, 2005, 09:38 PM   #3
Apple a Day

I'm figuring he meant the piston. I'd take the whole gas tube assembly off and clean it thoroughly. Make sure that the gas port isn't plugged.
NOTE: IF YOU ARE USING A YUGOSLAVIAN SKS WITH THE RIFLE GRENADE ATTACHMENT THEN MAKE SURE THE GAS CUTOFF VALVE IS OPEN!!! There is a little button-looking thing just above the front end of the gas tube. It moves. In one position it allows gas to divert and operate the action. In the other position it blocks off the gas tube so that you can use the rifle-grenade launcher. If you have a Yugo then double check.
Regards,
Apple
Old July 31, 2005, 10:16 PM   #4
Marcus

I`ve had the same problem with mine. I tested it with a temporary fix involving...heh...aluminum foil. It worked great for about 20rds.,cycled just fine...until the foil blew out. Time for a permanent fix. At least I know where the problem is now. It`s a fairly well documented problem with the Yugo M59/66. All SKSs seem to leak a little gas from the gas tube joint but the Yugos with the gas valve for the grenade launched loose a little there too. Combine that with pitting and wear and here we are. Here`s a link to one of many threads on it. http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/p...post?id=360403 Marcus

Last edited by Marcus; July 31, 2005 at 11:03 PM.
Old July 31, 2005, 10:43 PM   #5
DnPRK

Is the gas piston installed? I saw a guy open a box for a "new" SKS from AIM that was missing the gas cylinder, handguard and piston.
Did you clean the cosmoline off the piston extension, spring and rear sight housing?
Old August 1, 2005, 07:03 AM   #6
cortez kid

If you own a 59/66, take the gas valve out. Go to the hardware store for a ball bearing a little larger than the large hole in the gas valve. Costs about .45. Place the valve, with the ball bearing in a vise. Positioned so that when you apply pressure, the ball bearing is forced into the hole. Take your time and do it slowly, checking for fit every 1/4 turn or so. Eventually it will evenly spread the valve enough to make a nice fit. It take a little patience. It doesn't move much and then boom, it does. I over did it a little and had to dress down with a file to make a good fit. Works absolutley like magic. Saved my matching number tube and hasn't failed yet. On a Russian, it would probably work, but you may need to jig something up to hold in vise. Don't scratch it up! Those things are a fortune now! Give it a try. Good shooting
kid
Old August 1, 2005, 08:42 AM   #7
wolfdog45

aluminum foil

I had the same problem with my yugo. I put some aluminum foil around the gas valve to gas tube joint with a lilttle overlap then put the gas tube back on a nice tight fit. Shoots great now. I've fired 20 rounds out of it and it works.
Old August 1, 2005, 08:57 AM   #8
TX_RGR

At the risk of stating the obvious, it is most likely the gas valve is shut off. Just move that little doohickey at the end of your gas tube over to the right.
Old August 1, 2005, 01:48 PM   #9
Who Dey

Thanx for the advise. I moved that knob by the front sight left and right and it still did'nt work. The gun was loaded with cosmoline when I bought it.I took it to a gunsmith I graduated with and he cleaned it for me. I'll give him a call and see what he recommends. If I can't get it to eject,at least I'll have a nice wall hanger !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 1, 2005, 10:52 PM   #10
Marcus

At the risk of stating the obvious,we`re not a bunch of nit wits. Many of these guns,especially non #s matching guns have known gas leakage issue.
I made up a thin copper washer that fits in between the gas tube and gas valve. It`s just thin enough to press into the proper contour when the tube is installed. That did the trick,it works 100% now. Marcus
Old August 2, 2005, 12:46 PM   #11
Smokey Joe

Cleaning out the Cosmo

Who Dey--The other problem inherent to the SKS design is the slam-fire, a potentially much more serious situation. Rather than failing to cycle, the autoloader goes to full-auto!

(Since it wasn't designed for this, it usually jams after 2-3 shots, but it is no less of a surprise when it occurs. And it can, or could, empty the whole magazine.)

The safety-minded thing to do is to not drop the gun in surprise when it does this; just bear in mind that it CAN happen. The only times it has caused injuries is when the gun was dropped in surprise while it was still firing.

The solution to the problem is to clean the firing pin inside the bolt, VERY thoroughly, then lube it with light oil. The problem is caused by cosmoline within the bolt not letting the firing pin drop back after the chambered case is fired, so as the bolt cycles another case in and slams shut, there is the firing pin and wham!

Firing pin on an SKS has no return spring. You can get one with a return spring as an aftermarket, or just be sure to keep the original cleaned and lubed, and ALWAYS keep the muzzle pointed safely downrange when firing, and your problem is handled.

Funny that the same model has 2 opposite problems!

--Smokey Joe
Old August 2, 2005, 01:42 PM   #12
Wildalaska

This thread is impossible, SKSs always work

Wildtheonlyrealshtfrifleremember?Alaska
Old August 2, 2005, 04:16 PM   #13
Death from Afar

Good point Wildalaska...I though these things :barf: never failed. Well, well, well.

I do have to ay I am impressed by fixing a rifle with ..a paperclip! Still, if you had a Ruger or an AR , you wouldnt need to fix it at all......
Old August 2, 2005, 04:45 PM   #14
281 Quad Cam

Mine is stovepiping, and failing to lock back sometimes now... Think a new gas valve inside the gas block would solve the issue? The current gas valve has alot of pitting and damage on it, and isnt exactly a tight fit in the gas block.

Wildalaska, and Death from afar : were all simply different people. Some are the type who dont want to save any money to shoot, but still want to shoot. Some want to try to fix something with a paperclip or tin foil, even though the correct part is only 4 dollars. Some like to have something they can drop, stick in a truck bed, and not worry... Cause it barely cost 1/3 of a paycheck anyhow.

Just that simple, even among gun-nuts there are different personalities. FWIW, id rather have an M1a, an AR-15, FAL, mini14 or mini30. The prices were just too high.
Old August 2, 2005, 05:00 PM   #15
jefnvk

Just a thought, you did clean the gas system of cosmo, right? And put everything together right?

FWIW, the gas selector will prevent the GL sight from coming up when it is in place to fire live ammo.
Old August 2, 2005, 05:06 PM   #16
281 Quad Cam

Yes, its cosmo-free and set for semi-auto.
Old August 2, 2005, 06:16 PM   #17
TomG160

I suggested using a paperclip or other jimmy-rig like method mostly to find the problem so it could be fixed with the proper part.
Old August 3, 2005, 12:38 AM   #18
Smokey Joe

Impossibility

Wildalaska--Bumblebees are impossible, too. Any aeronautical engineer can prove to you that they can't fly--too little wing surface for the body mass or some such esoterica. Fortunately for the bumblebees, none of 'em has an engineering degree.

Fortunately for the SKS's, they are like a model T: Can be fixed by an illiterate pesant with a pr. of pliers and a pc. of wire. They're not capable of having a serious problem; the design is too simple.

By no stretch of the imagination is mine a tack-driver. It's not even a spike driver. But if I had to crawl in the tropical mud, desert sand, and arctic snow/slush, live off the land, and kill or be killed by repeated, determined enemies at close range it'd be the SKS and a 1911. Simple is good. Reliable is even better.

--Smokey Joe
Old August 3, 2005, 01:00 AM   #19
Wildalaska

Quote:
Simple is good. Reliable is even better.
Good point...lee enfield then.....they NEVER break

Quote:
Simple is good. Reliable is even better.
Thats why our servicemen carry SKSs

Lookie...I like SKSs beleive it or not I have had over a dozen or so in my life (three of which I buried in my tinfoil hat days and never could find )...as an example of third world craftsmanship they are fascinating, and like so many other Sovietski designs, they work...if I didnt have a superior weapon (a Lee Enfield) in my trucjk Id have an SKS

What makes me giggle is comparing an SKS to a far more accurate, ergonomic, reliable, more easily maintainable, more easily shootable AR...they just aint in the same class...

WildimacheapskatetoothatswhyIreloadanscroungebrassAlaska
Old August 3, 2005, 01:32 AM   #20
Smokey Joe

$$$

Wildalaska--Given all you've said, you're forgetting--perhaps because you live in a gun store--Some of us have great trouble even scrounging up the $100-125 for an SKS. I've seen price tags on AR's higher than $1500.00!! And the run of the mill price seems to be well over a grand. (And I DON'T live in AK, where prices on everything are higher!)

Sure, if I wanted

Quote:
a far more accurate, ergonomic, reliable, more easily maintainable, more easily shootable
rifle, and price be damned, I wouldn't think twice abt. fooling with an SKS. But for most of us, that's just the point. Price ISN'T damned.

College students. Young marrieds. Park rats from McKinley. Poverty stricken poets. Struggling businessmen. Ordinary dairy farmers Outside. Subsistence hunters. If they had to buy an AR or not shoot, they'd not shoot. Period. Not enuf $$.

You can bet that the current interest in Mosins, K-31's, SKS's, Enfields, and the latest crop of cheap Mausers, is not all generated by crufflers. Not by a long shot! (Pun intended )

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; August 3, 2005 at 01:39 AM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
Old August 3, 2005, 01:56 AM   #21
Wildalaska

Thats fine, one shoots what one can afford....but just because one cant afford better doenst mean one shouldnt recognize that ya get what ya pay for.

Quote:
And I DON'T live in AK, where prices on everything are higher
O really???...not Colt ARs

Then back to the cost factor....I would postulate that a 98 Mauser is superior in every respect to an SKS and cheaper to shoot///..Ya never see me badmouthing Muasers do you (except that they aint as good as Enfields)

WildimacrufflertooAlaska
Old August 3, 2005, 08:59 AM   #22
dolanp

Some people don't look at just what they can afford, but what's the best value for their purpose.
Old August 3, 2005, 12:54 PM   #23
Smokey Joe

SKS vs Mauser vs Enfield

Wildalaska--I'm curious as to why you favor the Enfield over the Mauser or the SKS. You're the gun store expert. Oh, and I presume we're talking about the No. 1 through 5 Enfields, not the P-14 or P-17. My own analysis:

The SKS has the least recoil of the 3 by far. It is an autoloader and the other 2 are bolts if that happens to be a factor. It uses less powder/round than the others; if handloaded that'd make it cheaper, the bullets & primers costing abt. the same. If shooting surplus ammo, I know that's available for the SKS and the 8mm but don't know prices. A reciever sight retro-fit is available.

The Mauser has forward bolt lugs, making the action tighter than the rear lugs on the Enfield bolt, therefore less stretching of the cases. Mausers come with a stepped bbl which is less prone to heat-warping than the narrow cylinder of the .303 bbl. (At least that was why Paul Mauser so designed the bbl--I'll go w/his expertise.) The 8mm round is rimless which cannot hang up one on the other in the magazine. And the Mauser reloads with stripper clips. OTOH, the Enfield mag is detatchable, and personally I like the Enfield safety lever better. Both are sturdy, as befits a military arm, and the Enfield is more forgiving of abuse. The No. 4's, anyhow, had a better adjustable rear sight, and all the Enfields have their ghost ring rear sight on the receiver.

I think it was in WWII that the comparison was made: The Germans had the best target rifle. The Americans (with the '03-A3) had the best hunting rifle. And the Brits had the best battle rifle. I tend to agree, and since my personal criterion for success in rifle design--like Col. Townsend Whelen--is accuracy, my preference is for the German design. (The American design is very similar, BTW--I suppose you know that prior to the outbreak of hostilities in WWI, we were actually paying royalties to Waffenfabrik Krupp for aspects of the '03's design. I like the '03-A3 a lot too, but it's not the subject of this discussion.)

So if recoil or speed of operation, or reloading ammo cost, are your primary considerations, the SKS wins of the 3. If sheer toughness, removable mag, and receiver sight are your primary considerations, the Enfield wins. However, if inherent accuracy above all is what you are after, it's the Mauser.

I've said nothing of price. Currently the SKS is the least expensive by a narrow margin I believe. And that somewhat depends on what sources are open to you personally. (I.e. how much research do you want to do; are you a dyed-in-the-wool cruffler or just not fool around, wanta getta rifle & go shoot it.) And would you be satisfied with something from yr local sptg gds sto chain, or must you have it unissued. Prices could change as stocks are exhausted, of one or the other of the rifles in question.

--Smokey Joe
Old August 3, 2005, 02:50 PM   #24
Wildalaska

Why do I like Enfields? Simple..

In trained hands, one can fire an Enfield almost as fast as an SKS and far faster than a Mauser. It also holds 10 shots. Im not trained and I will go one on one with a SKS shooter at 100 yards with timer any time

Accruacy wise, Ill take a LE over an SKS at any range ya want to shoot. For older eyes, the LE peep is better than the Mauser V notch and while a good Mauser may group better, I bet in a practical sense the difference is minimal especially since the LE has better sights

Ammo wise the Mauser wins hands down if yoiu are shooting 8mm. However, you can still find good surplus 303 that is NON CORROSive...SKS ammo is cheap, but no reloadable.

WildofcourseneedwetossswedeMausersinthemixAlaska
Old August 3, 2005, 03:16 PM   #25
Death from Afar

OK, I will be honest with you. I dont REALLY mind SKS's, and I am honest enough to admit that I am a rifle snob. BUT, I totally agree with Wildalaska ( a scholer, and arguably a gentleman ) - I would much rather have an K98 Mauser or an enfield than an SKS to stake my life on.