The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 1, 2004, 01:53 PM   #1
chaim

Woo hoo- I finally got a job. Now, how to celebrate?

Wow, after something like 5 months of looking I finally got a half way decent job offer. I start in late June and I'll get my first paycheck in early to mid July.

So, after not buying anything since Feb (a blackpowder revolver) and before that Dec (a .45LC lever rifle and an AR) I feel the need to pick up a gun or two. I had enough money that my creditors aren't that unhappy with me at this point (ie. everything is paid up to date, and I paid a few things off when I realized that it would be a while before I saw another paycheck), so I don't need to wait that long after my first paycheck to pick something up. I'll probably buy late July or early Aug (if I can wait that long).

So, I have quite a bit of pent up gun buying (I've usually bought 2-4 in that time frame, plus I went awhile before that AR and lever rifle so those guns weren't enough at that time). Here are some of my thoughts:
-Another .41mag. I love my S&W 57 but it is too nice to put in a holster. A Taurus Tracker or Raging Bull in .41mag or a more beat up M57 or M58 for a camping gun would be nice, especially since camping season is upon us.
-Finally trying a .44mag. Hey, it is the big bore everything else, both smaller (.357mag and .41mag) and bigger, is compared to. I haven't liked them that much in the past, but I could always download the ammo (I reload) while getting used to it and it would be a great camping gun with cheaper ammo than the .41mag when I'm not in the mood to reload.
-A "cowboy" revolver or two. I've long wanted one and I've never managed to get to it. A .45LC SAA clone or Vaquero would be a nice addition to the "collection".
-A compact 1911. I love 1911s and I've wanted another, and a smaller one, since I got my first. I don't live in a carry state so the compact isn't a must, but I do occasionally go places where carry would be legal and I like small guns.
-A Kahr. I've always liked them but never bought. I love small guns. The only thing, this is MD so I'd have to find one used since they aren't MD legal.
-A Taurus PT911. I've long wanted this gun and never got around to it. It is a good size and they are reliable and well made guns.
-Another CZ before they are totally unavaible in MD. If anyone has been paying attention they probably realize by now that I love CZs.
-An M1A. An other gun I've long wanted, but I don't often get to the rifle range so tying up $1K plus seems a gamble. That much in a gun I only use a few times a year is a waste, though with that much in a couple guns (my AR was $800 used) maybe I'd go more often.
-An M1 Carbine and M1 Garand. I am a history fanatic so I'd want these guns even if I didn't like them. I love these guns so I'd want them even if I wasn't into military history.
-Another pistol caliber lever carbine or three. I can't express how much I enjoy these guns. The Navy Arms Winchester 1873 clones are absolutely beautiful. Also, I should get one (maybe the Marlin for a change) in .357mag since I have several revolvers in that caliber.
-A DA revolver in .45LC. I'd like one, I've wanted one for a while, and I do have a carbine in .45LC and ammo compatability would be nice.
-A S&W 442 or 642. Seems the perfect size and weight for my future carry gun.
-A .22lr revolver. I dragged my feet on a .22 handgun forever because I didn't think I'd like them. I love my Ruger MkII and I am more of a revolver than auto guy in handguns so I think I'd really love a .22 wheelgun.
-A Rem 870. I love my Benelli Nova, but for HD I'd prefer something with a wood stock. Seems to me the Benelli could look fairly EBRish to a potential jury in a civil or criminal trial after a defensive shooting. An 18-20" wood stock 870 wouldn't look that different from some Juror's "uncle Dave's duck hunting gun", which could be an asset if I were ever in a defensive shooting and had to face a lawsuit or an overly ambitious DA.
-An O/U shotgun. I don't do trap or skeet, but I'm interested in starting, and anyway these guns are usually quite nice. I'd probably get a Lanber, but I might spend a bit more for a Beretta or Ruger.

That is only a small list, it doesn't even include everything I'm considering. I know you guys can't choose my next gun for me, but I could use some help. As you can see, my list is completely unfocused. I guess I simply haven't bought enough in the past year or so, thus I have a lot of pent up "wants".
Old June 1, 2004, 01:58 PM   #2
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations!

Well, a .45 Colt Mountain Gun would make a nice companion piece for your lever-action, don't you think?

Also, if you do not already have either a Garand or an M-1 Carbine, just watch Band of Brothers for a couple of hours, just long enough to get your wallet smouldering, and then get thee to a gunnery! It's your duty on this, the forthcoming sixtieth anniversary of D-Day!
Old June 1, 2004, 02:09 PM   #3
Jorah Lavin

Garand

I vote for the Garand. Something about mine just warms me when I carry it, clean it, shoot it, look at it... Mine is post WWII, but only by a bare margin (Danish)

-Jorah

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit... it's the only way to be sure.
Old June 1, 2004, 03:21 PM   #4
PATH

I'd cast my vote for the M1 carbine. They are really neat and multi-purpose.

Congratulations and best of luck in your new job!

'How MacPherson Held The Floor'
Old June 1, 2004, 03:27 PM   #5
DorGunR

chaim .........congrats on the new job.
Vietnam 1966/67 - 1969/70
Old June 1, 2004, 03:40 PM   #6
croyance

First, congradulations
Chaim, I hate lecture - especially when I'm guilty of the same faults - and I know you've been having a rough time of it lately, but I have to say - pay back your debts so you have no creditors. At least for anything other than house and car.
The O/U you list is pretty expensive. I'd say the M1 Carbine.