The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 7, 2006, 01:34 PM   #1
spraynbuckshot

Which .22 Mag revolver?

New to the forum!

I am trying to do some preliminary research on a .22 mag revolver. I dont see any information on the Ruger website about scoping options for the single six. But, I think I have seen a picture or two with scopes. What would I need to do in order to scope a single six?

How do Heritage Arm's Rough Rider compare to the single six? Are Rough Riders capable of being scoped? Are there any other .22 mag revolvers worth looking at?

The 2 main purposes of this pistol is for target and hunting applications

What are some going prices of new and used .22 mag revovlers?
Old October 7, 2006, 02:14 PM   #2
skeeter1

I did a quick look on gunbroker.com, for a Smith 651, a .22 Magnum revolver I've always wanted. They have several listed, but all in the $500-$1K range. Like most revolvers, the prices just keep going up. As for scoping a 4" DA revolver, I don't think it would work.

My guess is that a Ruger SA revolver might work better for you, but we'll have to wait for the owners of them to post their comments.
Old October 7, 2006, 06:45 PM   #3
bigghoss

I have a heritage rough rider and it's good for the money but I haven't seen one you could put a scope on. I looked at the ruger when I got my rough rider and it's definatly worth twice as much but I'm not that serious about shooting it so I got the much cheaper heritage. I say if you want to scope it get the ruger.
Old October 8, 2006, 08:10 AM   #4
Tom C.

The easiest .22 mag revolver to scope is probably the Ruger Single Six Hunter. It has a 7 1/2" barrel and built in scope mounts. It has both a .22 LR cylinder and .22 mag cylinder. http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...l=662&return=Y
Old October 8, 2006, 08:39 AM   #5
22-rimfire

Tome C.; +1. That would be my choice as well.

Don't buy anything with less than a 6" barrel (possibly 5.5") to put a scope on it. Also, don't buy junk (ie "cheap") or you won't be happy with it.

My favorite from the older offerings is the Colt Trooper Mark III with a 6 or 8" barrel. You will probably have to go to a gunsmith to have the scope mounted.
Old October 8, 2006, 08:50 PM   #6
Majic

Any Super Single Six is easily scoped. There are clamp on bases for them and the .22 mag doesn't generate enough recoil to cause a problem.
The newer S&W M648s comes drilled and tapped for scope bases from the factory. Most other models will either have aftermarket clamp on bases or you will have to drill and tap the topstrap to mount a base.
Look to spend from $200 to $500 for a decent revolver (new and used).