The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2010, 04:36 PM   #1
jambrdly

Armscor .223 62 gr loads for mini-14?

Can anyone recommend an accurate load recipe for the Armscor 62 gr .224 bullet in a mini-14 .223?
Old June 5, 2010, 04:59 PM   #2
snuffy

You're kidding,,,---right? First strike is accurate load in mini-30, second strike is armscoor bullets.

I have a bushmaster AR that is capable of sub MOA accuracy with a good bullet. I tried some of the armscoor bullets recently. They were awful! Looked like a shotgun buckshot pattern, rather than a group!

You'd better get some good bullets, that would be half the battle. The rest, the mini-thutty, well there's no cure for those things!
Old June 6, 2010, 08:00 PM   #3
riverwalker76

Quote:
You're kidding,,,---right? First strike is accurate load in mini-30, second strike is armscoor bullets.

I have a bushmaster AR that is capable of sub MOA accuracy with a good bullet. I tried some of the armscoor bullets recently. They were awful! Looked like a shotgun buckshot pattern, rather than a group!

You'd better get some good bullets, that would be half the battle. The rest, the mini-thutty, well there's no cure for those things!

Don't listen to him ..... there are a lot of naysayers on the Mini-14 and I choose to ignore them. Most people have either never owned a mini-14 or owned one 10 years ago when their rifles were horrible with accuracy.

If he would have read your post ... he would see you are loading for the mini-14 ... not the mini-30!

I've had good luck with Armscor 62 gr. bullets and my Mini-14 Tactical model. I use several different powders with this bullet, and have gotten decent groups with it. The worst group I've gotten was 1 1/2" at 100 yds. with this bullet. Then again .... I don't know your Min-14 Model #, so I can't guarantee you'll be as accurate as my lowest group of 3/4" at 100 yds. My best group puts most Garands to shame yet people still pick on the Mini-14 for some reason. The best groups I've gotten out of my Garand have been 1" groups @ 100 yds. with ANY ammo. It's actually gotten to be somewhat of an 'Urban Legend' if you ask me.

Need more info.
Old June 6, 2010, 09:54 PM   #4
Loader9

I'm running these bullets out of an AR platform with a max load of Varget. I've shot the load in matches and won so there's nothing wrong the bullets I got from them.
Old June 7, 2010, 01:51 AM   #5
snuffy

Quote:
Don't listen to him ..... there are a lot of naysayers on the Mini-14 and I choose to ignore them. Most people have either never owned a mini-14 or owned one 10 years ago when their rifles were horrible with accuracy.

If he would have read your post ... he would see you are loading for the mini-14 ... not the mini-30!
I can read just fine, I just can't type worth a d**n. I did mean to say mini-14. Yeah I did have a mini-30 once. Finally gave up on getting an accurate load out of it.

I certainly did NOT give the armscor bullets a good trial. I just loaded some up with H-335, a medium load, and tried them. I WILL do a load work-up on them to give them a fair chance. They actually look like a nice bullet. They certainly are priced right.
Old June 9, 2010, 09:46 PM   #6
Memnok

Quote:
Wanna start a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] storm of hate? Just mention you own a SU16. I don't even mention what I'm reloading for because of these same types of responses.
That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Old June 9, 2010, 09:54 PM   #7
crimsondave

I also load armscor 62 gr with a max load of Varget. Is ok accurate in my 1-7 twist Colt AR. Naysayer or not, I've never seen a mini 14 that would shoot tight. Good luck. If it makes you feel better, my mini 14 was way more reliable than my AR is.
Old June 9, 2010, 10:39 PM   #8
riverwalker76

Quote:
I also load armscor 62 gr with a max load of Varget. Is ok accurate in my 1-7 twist Colt AR. Naysayer or not, I've never seen a mini 14 that would shoot tight. Good luck. If it makes you feel better, my mini 14 was way more reliable than my AR is.
I'll agree with you on that.

My Mini-14 is a good coyote and home defense rifle, but that's the extent of it. I wouldn't trust it to shoot 2" groups at 300 yds., but it's reliability has long been debated. Now ... if they could somehow make an AR15 / Mini14 Hybrid ... I would own 10. The dependability of the Mini and the accuracy of the AR.