The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old March 28, 2005, 01:45 PM   #51
goalie

Quote:
So unless your son knows someone in 'The Field' he probably hasn't encountered the experiences, nor have the knowledge that I do. Not to extinguish his abilities as a Marine, because we are all special. For him to say that it doesn't happen in Basic, then that is the truth. Ask him about the Scout/ Snipers and I guarantee that he will change his tone.
Um, I never did the recon gig, but I was in "the field" back when it was not politically correct to call us snipers, so it was STA Plt 1/8, and I knew a lot of the snipers. I have to ask, but Lucky, you do realize you were talking about a 7.62x54R rifle, right? Not a .50 cal?

I have a friend, Emil Praslick, who might want to take you up on your offer, but he may be busy coaching the Army Marksmanship Unit when you have your match. Benning isn't too far from KY, is it???

Old March 28, 2005, 02:40 PM   #52
Powderman

I'm still waiting for this guy to tell us what his "experience" was, "in the field".

Inquiring minds want to know.

Rich, any answer yet?
Old March 28, 2005, 02:57 PM   #53
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Challenge Issued --- Challenge Accepted

Please take note:
LuckyInKentucky issued the challenge. There was a lot of talk about, "I'd like part of that," and so forth. To this point, though, there's been exactly ONE specific acceptance of the challenge - - Rich Lucibella. Please see post number 32 above.

The ball is now in in LuckyInKentucky's court. This challenge match is now a matter between Rich and LiK. The rest of us can either stand back and watch, or, if one or more has the cash, he/they can buy in on the match. For now, though, the stakes, venue, and date have been set.

I, for one, cannot afford the entry fee, nor do I have the skill level to participate. But I haven't been that far south for several years, and I think I'd like to go watch . . . .
Old March 28, 2005, 03:26 PM   #54
The Body Bagger

Quote:
I, for one, cannot afford the entry fee, nor do I have the skill level to participate.
Neither can I but I'm putting action on Lucky, if any man get sub moa's out of a 45-70 at 350 meters, he's my guy

In all seriousness you guys do a great job here.
Old March 28, 2005, 03:34 PM   #55
Powderman

Folks, this guy sounds like a guy I've had dealings with. Goes by the name Drew-tx over at www.pre-ban.com

Might want to do a search over there, some of the threads are hilarious.

WARNING: Pre-ban.com is NOT a worksafe site, nor is it kid safe.

If you check it out, I highly advise that you do NOT do it at work, or around children. It is an adult oriented site.

That being said, it's still hilarious.
Old March 28, 2005, 03:39 PM   #56
Titus

Quote:
Folks, this guy sounds like a guy I've had dealings with. Goes by the name Drew-tx
That's what I was thinking too. Goes by different names on different boards, but the baloney is always stacked high.
Old March 28, 2005, 04:21 PM   #57
brickeyee

LIK needs to go after some NBRSA records. The 5 shot 1000 yd record is 1.473 in. using a light gun (17 pounds), and the heavy gun (no weight limit) record for a 10 shot group is 5.1908 in.
He should have no problem sweeping the field.
Old March 28, 2005, 06:34 PM   #58
tgace

Over on that other board I mentioned there was some guy claiming similar feats...he also claimed to have some .308 load that only had a 2" drop at 800-900 yards.....when cornered with some basic physics and asked for info. on this load he vanished.

http://tgace.wordpress.com
Old March 28, 2005, 06:53 PM   #59
Ben Swenson

I've got a feeling there's going to be a lot more crickets than shooting going on.
Old March 28, 2005, 08:48 PM   #60
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Tick-Tock.
Rich
Old March 28, 2005, 11:08 PM   #61
Bogie

Well, I _do_ have $5K cash money, and I'm willing to travel...

But if gas gets much higher... (grin).

Do y'all think I could shoot my rail? Yeah, it's a "point blank" benchrest gun (out to 300 with the 6PPC), but hey, his idea of 800 yards might be a lot closer to my idea of 200 yards... I'm figuring on the 6BR for long range...

Rich, if he still wants any, I'm next.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old March 29, 2005, 10:48 AM   #62
JohnKSa
Staff

Somebody seems to have used his special powers and training to vanish like flatulence in a hurricane.

Ya gotta love a guy who's willing to back up his claims of superhuman performance by...evaporating.
Old March 29, 2005, 07:50 PM   #63
Rich Lucibella
Staff

I'll agree. Mr. Lucky has left the stadium, despite my email reminder of his Honor Challenge here.
Challenge forfeited.
Case closed.
Carry on.
Rich
Old March 29, 2005, 09:32 PM   #64
MARFORPAC

It's me ... LuckyInKentucky! Some wise crack limited my account, so I can't post or anything under 'LuckyInKentucky'. HHmm, kind of hard for a guy to reply to someone when his account has MYSTERIASLY been locked.

I really wish someone would tell me why this has happened. Kind of makes me look like an idiot when I can't reply to people's comments.

At any rate, I will try and sign back on in a couple of hours and sift through the garbage and try and make sense of these posts.

The only reason I started another user name is because 'The Powers That Be' has evidently BANNED me in the middle of a challenge. Can't really defend myself if that is happening, now can I?

Last edited by MARFORPAC; March 29, 2005 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Edit Content
Old March 29, 2005, 09:55 PM   #65
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Kind of makes me look like an idiot when I can't reply to people's comments.
You think that's what it is? I dunno...
Old March 29, 2005, 09:59 PM   #66
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Welcome Back, Lucky.
I emailed you this AM with no response. Your Forfeit is now lifted.
LuckyinKentucky has ability to post.
MARFORPAC has been inactivated.

I repeat my acceptance of your challenge:
Quote:
Lucky-
You're on: $5,000.00
- You picked the price; I pick the Place: Rifles Only-Kingsville, Texas
- You pick the time; I pick the range: 600 Meters
- You pick the course of fire and scoring; I pick the date: One week from Wednesday (that'll be April 6th)

I'll announce my shooter the day of the match.

Put up or shut up....NOW. And since you chose to post this challenge at TFL, your Membership here is also subject to forfeit in the event of a no show or refusal.

First step in the acceptance is to post your real name and address.

Rich Lucibella
Publisher
SWAT Magazine
5011 N. Ocean Blvd
Suite 5
Ocean Ridge. FL 33435
Wanna make it Ten Grand?
Old March 29, 2005, 11:01 PM   #67
Larry Ashcraft

Quote:
Wanna make it Ten Grand?
Standing by...

This is gonna be good.
Old March 29, 2005, 11:12 PM   #68
Tim R

Old March 30, 2005, 02:46 AM   #69
LuckyInKentucky

OK ... finally got to sift through all of the junk people have posted, and I've come to the end.

To be quite honest, I'm not sure putting up $10k is such a good idea. For one reason alone. I want as many people who want and can afford to shoot. A mere $10k pot honestly isn't worth my time in travel alone. I was hoping that some of these 'Big Mouths' around here that have been bad mouthin' my abilities would step up. I didn't intend for it to be a 2 person shoot. That's a waste of my time! I don't want to be out on the range for 1 hour and have to call it quits. I want a full evolution match. I was thinking maybe 6 people minimum, and no more than 12. That would raise the pot quite abit, and that is well worth my time.

The next thing I come to is the fact that you stated "your shooter". That sort of bothers me in that I was assuming that everyone would shoot for himself. Not that someone would have his 'Big Brother' shoot for him. If you know what I mean.

Next, I always thought it to be customary for the challenger to name the place, or they decide the best range to attend. This way no one plays on their home field, and there is a reasonable option that the majority agrees on.
Personally, I was considering these two ranges here. Range 1 or Range 2 . Then there is always the option of having it here on my range, but I'm not too keen on the idea of a bunch of strangers knowing where I live.

Now comes to the time and date. It will not be possible for me to attend in April ... period. May would be the earliest that I can do anything. Anyway, that will give a few 'Greenhorns' the time to get the entry fee together. It'll make it more available to more people.

Lastly, let's talk about what caliber rifles to use. I suggest .30 cal only. No .50BMGs or 'shoulder fired artillery'. That is fairly flexible in that you can use .30-06 on up to .375 H&H or whatever. Also, the rifle will have to be specified before the match begins. No switching in between rifles. What you start with is what you stay with.

As far as the holding of funds go ... I suggest everyone pitching in and hiring an off duty policeman to hold the funds. If everyone doesn't want to pitch in, I'm sure I can swing that part.

As for posting my personal information on the net ... I choose not to for privacy reasons. I have stayed off the grid this long, and take pride in my privacy. I will reveal myself in due time, but no names over the net. I'm sorry, but I must insist on this.

As for my rifle of choice, I will be using a Dakota Longbow in .338 Lapua. Topped with a 10 X 40 Unertl. It doesn't really matter about the optics, because at 1000 meters, the 42" target is the size of a stamp anyway!

I hope you don't find this to be too lengthy, but I had a lot to say.
Old March 30, 2005, 03:07 AM   #70
Long Path

Point of clarification...

In the middle of your above post, you say:
Quote:
Lastly, let's talk about what caliber rifles to use. I suggest .30 cal only. No .50BMGs or 'shoulder fired artillery'.
All right. I took that to mean .308 or .311 caliber rifles, which are commonly called ".30 caliber" bores. But then you go on to say
Quote:
That is fairly flexible in that you can use .30-06 on up to .375 H&H or whatever.
And later, you say that you will be shooting
Quote:
a Dakota Longbow in .338 Lapua.
Okay, so I take it to mean that, by ".30 cal only," you mean all calibers that fall between .299" and .400" in diameter, yes? Just clarifying for the forum. Do you have a weight restriction? Do you have a course of fire in mind? Restrictions on clothing? Slings? Positions? Spotters? Fouling rounds? Spotter rounds? Ammunition?
Old March 30, 2005, 03:36 AM   #71
MTMilitiaman

I am just curious Kentucky...how is it that you feel you can name all the conditions and still maintain a spirit of healthy competition and fairness?
Old March 30, 2005, 04:14 AM   #72
LuckyInKentucky

To answer the question or to clarify. Anything between .299 to .400 is what I meant. I was using the .30-06 as an example.

I would prefer no benchrests, or equipment assisted shooting. In that I mean, no 'immobility EQUIPMENT' such as sand bags or bipods. Slings and shooting jackets would be acceptable.

Also, I would prefer general NRA 1000 yd. rules.

1 spotter, shooter gets his/her own targets unless spotter wishes to assist, and 5 practice rounds to familiarize with the range and to ensure that he/she is hitting paper.

20 rounds in any position with a 35 minute time slot. Any rounds not fired at the end of the 35 minutes will be forfeit.

Like I said, I'm open for suggestions, but during most of the month of April I will be unavailable. I will only have a few days here and there for free time.
Old March 30, 2005, 08:00 AM   #73
Marko Kloos

Quote:
OK ... finally got to sift through all of the junk people have posted, and I've come to the end.
There has been a bit of junk posted in this thread, but all of it seems to have come from the same screen name.

Quote:
To be quite honest, I'm not sure putting up $10k is such a good idea. For one reason alone. I want as many people who want and can afford to shoot. A mere $10k pot honestly isn't worth my time in travel alone. I was hoping that some of these 'Big Mouths' around here that have been bad mouthin' my abilities would step up. I didn't intend for it to be a 2 person shoot. That's a waste of my time! I don't want to be out on the range for 1 hour and have to call it quits. I want a full evolution match. I was thinking maybe 6 people minimum, and no more than 12. That would raise the pot quite abit, and that is well worth my time.
That's not how it works, LiK. You issued a challenge; the challenge was met. Now you're backpedaling by trying to modify the terms of the challenge after the fact. You said you'd shoot against anyone here for a $5K/person pot...you didn't say anything about a minimum number of participants.

But I guess it doesn't matter. I am convinced that if Rich puts up $30K unilaterally, or five or six other people sign onto the challenge, you'll find some other way to back out of it. You'll find another reason why the match is "beneath you", no matter how much money is on the table, and no matter how far people go to meet your ever-changing terms. If it gets too close for comfort, you can always suddenly get deployed for a lengthy tour of duty, right?

Quote:
The next thing I come to is the fact that you stated "your shooter". That sort of bothers me in that I was assuming that everyone would shoot for himself. Not that someone would have his 'Big Brother' shoot for him. If you know what I mean.
It doesn't matter, because you'll find a way to be a no-show anyway, but I'm pretty convinced that Rich can pull his own weight if you do indeed show up. Be that as it may, he'd be within the terms of the challenge as long as his designated shooter is a TFL member. Your challenge was to "anyone here".

Quote:
Next, I always thought it to be customary for the challenger to name the place, or they decide the best range to attend. This way no one plays on their home field, and there is a reasonable option that the majority agrees on.
Personally, I was considering these two ranges here. Range 1 or Range 2 . Then there is always the option of having it here on my range, but I'm not too keen on the idea of a bunch of strangers knowing where I live.
Those were not the terms of your challenge.

Quote:
Now comes to the time and date. It will not be possible for me to attend in April ... period. May would be the earliest that I can do anything. Anyway, that will give a few 'Greenhorns' the time to get the entry fee together. It'll make it more available to more people.
It will also buy you a little more time to figure out how to pull your head out of this particular sling, right? But like I said, there's always the option of sudden and unexpected deployment to Absurdistan. "Too bad, I'll be gone for a year or two...I'll shoot rings around you when I get back."

Quote:
Lastly, let's talk about what caliber rifles to use. I suggest .30 cal only. No .50BMGs or 'shoulder fired artillery'. That is fairly flexible in that you can use .30-06 on up to .375 H&H or whatever. Also, the rifle will have to be specified before the match begins. No switching in between rifles. What you start with is what you stay with.
Again, those were not the terms of your challenge. If your shooting skill is so superb, whatinahell does it matter what kind of rifle your opponent uses? But, as before, it does not matter because you will not show up.

Quote:
As far as the holding of funds go ... I suggest everyone pitching in and hiring an off duty policeman to hold the funds. If everyone doesn't want to pitch in, I'm sure I can swing that part.
Geez, how about placing the funds in a trashcan behind the Chuck-E-Cheese, or something? There are escrow services, you know. But, as before, it does not matter because you have no intention of honoring your challenge.

Quote:
As for posting my personal information on the net ... I choose not to for privacy reasons. I have stayed off the grid this long, and take pride in my privacy. I will reveal myself in due time, but no names over the net. I'm sorry, but I must insist on this.
If I was concerned about "staying off the grid", I'd be a little less liberal with my exploits on a gun board that's absolutely lousy with people who have BTDT. I notice that you have failed to answer any of the specific questions that were directed at you. Oh, I forgot...it's all top-secret, and you can't share those, right?

Quote:
As for my rifle of choice, I will be using a Dakota Longbow in .338 Lapua. Topped with a 10 X 40 Unertl. It doesn't really matter about the optics, because at 1000 meters, the 42" target is the size of a stamp anyway!
Un-huh.

I've been following this thread since you jumped in, and so far it has been moderately amusing. However, this discussion has now completely left the realm of serious adult conversation. I feel that giving your words any further credence or attention is simply a waste of time. It is dishonorable to pass yourself off as something you are not...it's like running around with an unearned Medal of Honor around your neck. Any real snake eater would only need two seconds to see through your story, and another two seconds to pummel you into the ground for passing yourself off as one.

I have never known a bona fide warrior who felt the need to brag about their skills on an online discussion board. It has gotten to the point where I automatically file anyone's anonymous claim of being a SEAL/Force Recon/SFOD-D/Green Beret under "BS". Real warriors have no need or desire to beat their chests in public.

Your challenge was answered by Rich, and it is up to Rich to reply to your latest post, but for my money, you're cooked and done...not that you ever fooled too many people to begin with. It's pretty clear that somebody around here is unwilling to put their money where their mouth is, and that someone ain't Rich Lucibella.

Now please return to your Rainbow Six game, so that we may resume the grownup discussions.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old March 30, 2005, 08:55 AM   #74
Bogie

But Marko! I've got friends who shoot at the NC club!

LIK, methinx that the matter at hand here is that (a) nobody really believes you; and (b) you haven't really established any bonafides...

Now, I shoot point-blank benchrest. But I either know, or know someone who does know, everyone in the extreme accuracy game. So, who can vouch for you? My email is [email protected]. So, hey, who 'smithed that .338? Who do you shoot with? Or do you show up for matches in a super-secret military stealth RV? Pardon me, but since I moved to Missouri, I've become a bit cynical. If you make it by St. Louis, I'll be happy to take you to my club as a guest - of course, it only goes to 600 yards for 20 of the 60 points on the main line (there's 3 others...), but we've got a really nice BBQ pit...

For example... A few weeks ago, I bought a trailer to use for matches (TFL _will_ see pictures when I get it tricked out)from a guy who said he was a 1K shooter. But I _was_ still a little nervous about sending a few grand to someone I didn't know.

Two phone calls to people I knew, and he checked out.

Oh, and FWIW, I'm a also a government-trained former (actually current, at least until I'm too damn feeble to make it to the line...) sharpshooter, and I do my darndest to not make mistakes.

Now, I'll also be happy to shoot with Rich, but that wager would likely involve who'd pay for dinner. Or a signed $1 bill. Or something fun...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old March 30, 2005, 09:11 AM   #75
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Lucky-
Tamara wisely warns us not to play with our food. Sometimes I just can't help myself. I'll see you and raise you. Last chance to save your honor, your TFL Membership and, perhaps, your job.

Here's the upside:

You need 6 shooters at $5 grand? I'll go you one better:
A one on one match: $50,000.00 American Dollars

You challenged any Member of this Forum to shoot you for money. The challenge has been answered. I'm just the money guy; I assure you your competition will be a Member of this forum.

I accept your stipulation as to cartridge choice, though "30 Caliber" is an adolescent misnomer for the .338 Lapua.

I accept your stipulation as to NRA 1000 Yard Rules.

I'll even pay for your First Class Round Trip to Dallas and will ferry you to the range by private plane. This in return for your demonstration of your mystical 170 grain 45-70 rounds hitting a 10 inch steel plate at 300 yards....2 of 3 shots. (You previously claimed accuracy that could hit an egg from that distance. 10" is a cake walk for you.)

April 6th not good? May is the earliest you can make it? Fine. I'll allow you to pick a date in May. But you must post your real name and address on this Forum. I'm not prepared to read your Specops feats for another month under an alias.

Oops, I nearly forgot. I promised to raise your bet, didn't I? For me $50K is not an appropriate raise in itself. So here's the other part of that raise:
The Downside:
I accuse you of defaming the Honor of the Marine Corps. And I think you've gotten yourself way over your head here.

Post your Real Name here and accept or forfeit. If you fail to do that, I'll contact the State Information Systems agency at which you work and let them know the kind of Walter Mitty ramblings that are emanating from your cubicle there....complete with dates and IP tracking. I'm fairly certain they'll take keen interest in knowing the types of fantasy runnin' round your brain.

Time to Come to Jesus, Lucky.
I'll give you one day.
Rich Lucibella
Closed Thread