The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old March 30, 2005, 09:22 AM   #76
The Body Bagger

10k is not worth it in travel alone?!?!?! Are you kidding us? Don't you know you're Lucky? You're in Kentucky, and the range is in Texas. I'd make that drive in heartbeat if I was half as good as you! Come on Lucky, don't let us down man, we're all pulling for you buddy! A one v one shoot is fine, you can do it! Bring the Draganov, if not I'll let you use my slide trombone.
Old March 30, 2005, 09:42 AM   #77
OF

You guys are too funny. Offer him a million, Rich, why screw around?

- Gabe

PS: I predict that there is no way in hell that this clown is going to post his real name on this forum. The brick wall has been reached.
Old March 30, 2005, 10:13 AM   #78
Mal H
Staff

Whoa there, Lucky! I was under the impression that you were going to use your $3500 Dragunov Tigre in the upcoming match. Remember? The Drag with which you shot the 1-1/2" to 2" groups at 800 Meters? Since you now want to use your Dakota, can I make the obvious assumption that you can get even better long-range groups with it than you can with the Dragunov?
Old March 30, 2005, 10:17 AM   #79
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Gabe-
I don't have a million to gamble with. I can raise the $50K, though. I'm certain Lucky has that kinda money handy. All Snake Eaters have war chests, "just in case".
Rich
Old March 30, 2005, 11:14 AM   #80
Powderman

To Lucky....not that you'll answer, but just an objective observation...

There are all kinds of people on this board. I have found it to be a community of the nicest folks anywhere. The High Road also has a good group of folks, as does the 1911 Forum.

We all talk among ourselves, and exchange knowledge and information. No one claims expertise in any subject field, or tries to be the boss of all--we simply share each other's experience, and ask each other's advice.

None of us are experts in EVERYTHING. Frequently, there have been people who have never fired a gun in their lives who have posted here. Advice has been given, and accepted, and everyone is better for the experience.

Had you posted here as a person with little or no experience, EVERYONE would have been falling all over themselves to help you.

As it is, you made specious claims to people who know better. Don't know why, but you did.

(Here's a suggestion....when you see someone trotting out a rifle built on a Stolle Panda action, sit down, grab a spotting scope and watch--because you are about to see some REAL shooting!)

Now, instead of trying to help you, you have arrayed yourself against most of the people in this post. Some have BTDT, and have the scars to prove it. There are lots of snakeeaters in this thread, and prior service or present military. There are some people here who actually shoot for a living. And, then there's your garden variety po-po, too.

You, sir, have compromised your credibility and your integrity. Please don't bother trying to salvage the claims you have made. I'll call a spade a spade--you are talking to people who know better.

I believe that the last chance you have to salvage anything from this whole affair is to come clean. Post your real name, admit the errors, and start fresh. Most of the guys and girls here are the forgiving sort....well, most, anyway.

This is not a personal attack; it is similar to what I do when I'm talking to people, called a "positive confrontation". I think it's a last chance to own up.

How about it?
Old March 30, 2005, 12:20 PM   #81
The Body Bagger

Quote:
I believe that the last chance you have to salvage anything from this whole affair is to come clean. Post your real name, admit the errors, and start fresh. Most of the guys and girls here are the forgiving sort....
I'll admit it, My name is Bill and I've never shot anything nor even handled a real firearm. I am however a musician in a one man band.....please forgive me.
Old March 30, 2005, 12:38 PM   #82
buzz_knox

Remember that suggestion about getting Pat Rogers involved in this? I didn't think it was worth it, but now I realize that it is: Pat likes a good joke.
Old March 30, 2005, 12:46 PM   #83
edm1

Heck, I'd probably drive there just because it would be fun to shoot with some of the folks here. I'm sure I'd learn something.
Old March 30, 2005, 01:23 PM   #84
Handy

This all seems like great fun, but I'm still just wondering how you get a semiauto to produce 1.5" groups at 800 yards, even bolted to a tank.
Old March 30, 2005, 01:30 PM   #85
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Handy-
Same way you get a Ruger 10-22 to shoot half minute at 200 yards or a 170 Grain 45-70 to shoot a minute at 300 yards. You simply use your keyboard.

Rich
Old March 30, 2005, 03:04 PM   #86
cracked butt

I've been following this thread for the last couple of days, looks like you guys git LiK by the short hairs. Moral of the story: don't screw with the people from TFL.
Old March 30, 2005, 04:20 PM   #87
Mal H
Staff

To mmalloy27 -

Did you ever in your wildest dreams think your thread would turn into the match of the century?

Old March 30, 2005, 04:27 PM   #88
DigMe

Don't let Lucky supply his own shooter too or he might just bring Paul Bunyan, and no range has the room for him!

brad cook
Old March 30, 2005, 05:29 PM   #89
Gewehr98

Typographically funny...

Quote:
You challenged any Member of this Forum to shoot you for money.
While I'm certain that's not what Rich meant, just how much money would be appropriate for that kind of job?

(Bogie and I are disqualified, anyways. My 6.5mm and his 6mm are smaller than LiK's .299" rule.)

Neural Misfires
Old March 30, 2005, 05:42 PM   #90
griz

Hello LiK. I am apparently a pauper by the standards of this board. I also make no claims about being an expert marksman or even being better than you. But in case it's a time and travel issue that stops you from accepting Rich's challange, I'll offer you another. I'll meet you at your range, at your date and time, and simply watch you shoot as you claimed:

Quote:
With my Draganov Tiger, I am shooting around 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups at roughly 800 meters. That is about all that can be expected from a Soviet Block rifle.
So you bring that rifle, any ammo you want, and put five out of five shots in 3 inches at 800 MEASURED meters. The extra inch should give you a cushion in case it's windy. You don't have to tell me your name, but you do have to post the money before I drive to Kentucky. I'll put my money down as well. You can arrange any side bets with other members, which will hopefully make it worth your time for an afternoons shooting. I will only be able to cover 10K, 20 if there are no other takers. Does that sound OK? Or does your top secret military job pay so much that you can't afford to show off for an hour to earn $20,000? Let me know in time to apply for leave, I work a job in the REAL world.
Old March 30, 2005, 06:59 PM   #91
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Griz-
I don't like the the idea of confusing things with multiple challenges....allows too much wiggle room for any of us who wish to jump from subject to subject, while answering none of the challenges.

However, if Lucky prefers this to the Texas Challenge, I'll fly up and take a piece of the action. He claims to have "some time" in April....he should certainly have the hour that's required.
- I'll drop the demand for his name.
- I'll wager an amount of his choice, up to the $50K previously committed.
- It must be in April, as I'm not willing to allow this cloud over his rep to continue.
- It must be with his Dragunov (5 warm-up shots allowed).
- I'll give him a whopping 5" at 800 meters for the A-Zone: that's 250% room for error, given his skill set.
- No call-off for weather....if it's sunny and calm, our problem. If there's a tornado, his problem. After all, the Warrior must adapt, improvise and overcome under all conditions.
- I'll arrange an escrow Attorney in Kentucky to accept the wager deposits.

Now there's two ways Lucky can make the requisite funds to demonstrate what he claims. My pledge as to the ramifications of forfeit remains, however.
Rich
Old March 30, 2005, 07:08 PM   #92
griz

It doesn't sound like you took as such but just to be sure, I wasn't trying to step on any toes. I figured there would be multible takers so he would have the oportunity to earn a bundle. If it looks as if the second offer is interfering I will withdraw it. At any rate I suspect the same thing you do; no offer will be good enough for him.
Old March 30, 2005, 07:53 PM   #93
thralduro

Dang,

All I have to say is that there are a couple of folks here who make a LOT more money than me.

I know this is a stupid question and a little off topic, but what is BTDT?

http://www.leaa.org/

http://www.nra.org/
Old March 30, 2005, 07:59 PM   #94
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

BTDT - been there, done that...
Old March 30, 2005, 08:06 PM   #95
Greenfurniture

If Texas is too much for Lucky we would gladly offer the use of Coal Creek Armory's private outdoor range here in Knoxville, which is a lot closer to Kentucky, for said competition. Heck, we might even be talked into having it catered complete with Tennessee bar-b-q and ice cold lemonade!

It's a good 1000+ range we use mostly for testing our creations, and there is ample parking and a really nice covered shooting positions.

We would also put up a brand new 5" stainless Colt Gunsite pistol for the winner, just to sweeten the pot a tad!
Old March 30, 2005, 08:30 PM   #96
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

What a really, really bad place to bluff.
Old March 30, 2005, 08:38 PM   #97
JohnKSa
Staff

You know, after watching the documentary on Hogzilla, I'm thinking that if someone videos this encounter, it would be far more interesting and entertaining.

I wonder if we could get someone who's really in the business to do a mini-documentary on it?

I'd pay for that DVD!
Old March 30, 2005, 08:42 PM   #98
MassHunter2190

Hah, i was just thinking the same thing as Don Gwinn
Old March 30, 2005, 08:43 PM   #99
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Griz-
Zero offense taken. You're willing to put your money up; you have every right to make the offer.

I can't believe we're all talking as though this is actually gonna happen....me included.
Rich
Old March 30, 2005, 09:26 PM   #100
Tommytrauma

Priceless. Absolutely priceless.