The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 12, 2010, 12:47 PM   #1
BlueTrain

New versus used

Here's a question that popped into my head after reading several other threads about needing to break in an automatic pistol. Without asking directly whether or not that is necessary, would you think you would be as well off to purchase a used pistol mostly for that reason, that is, to acquire something that, in theory, should already be broken in?

It isn't the same as shopping for a used car, though there are similarities. If it is relatively new, it may not even be broken in at all. It may not be new but it still may be unfired. In any case, I'm thinking primarily of automatic pistols.

I haven't really been able to afford anything new recently that's really decent, though some new pistols aren't that outrageously expensive for what you get. The real problem here might be finding one in "just nicely broken in" condition, as opposed to something that's really used. Of course, some pistols stand up very well to a lot of use and some look like they've been carried in a tool box and never fired. Not sure I'd want one like that but it takes the worry out of scratching the finish.

The epitome of what I'm referring to is the used police handgun. Some shops always seem to have a couple, foreign or domestic. That's how I would up with my Walther P5, unusual but it has its charms. And that's part of the paradox. Some handguns don't seem to show up much on the dealer's used gun shelf, or at least they don't stay there very long. I don't remember, for instance, the last time I saw a Ruger automatic. Glocks galore but I've had one already. Some of the Glocks are claimed to be factory reconditioned. I didn't think that would be necessary for a Glock.
Buy War Bonds.
Old January 12, 2010, 12:59 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I don't like used. Cars or guns.

It bugs me to not know what the item has been through. How well has it been maintained? Looking it over may not tell you the whole story. It always leaves a question in my mind.

That said, I've never owned a new car in my life.... but I've only owned one used gun.

Anyhoo, being "broke in", even if I think it necessary, has no bearing for me. I'm going to go shoot the thing anyway so if it ain't broke in, it soon will be.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; January 12, 2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old January 12, 2010, 01:23 PM   #3
=Wolfman=

It looks like you have your mind somewhat made up already, and are looking for more support for buying a used gun. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with that, but I wouldn't buy a used gun unless I knew the owner beforehand. It is true that buying a used gun is not exactly like buying a used car, but there are some similarities. For example, you are inheriting all of the problems that the previous owner had if any. You can inspect every fine detail of the gun, and it might look like its in almost pristine condition. But surface wear doesn't tell the whole story, and sometimes guns show a lot less surface wear than internal wear. You are at the mercy of the seller, and it's a crapshoot to be honest. Furthermore, a lot of cops aren't committed shooters and don't care for their gun as they should (certainly not all of them, but a good portion of them). Internal wear and invisible rust are not uncovered so easily, so just be careful. Personally, I wouldn't buy a used gun because I don't like taking chances. If you're comfortable with it, I wouldn't discourage you though. Just know the risks, ask many questions, and inspect every nook and cranny of the prospective gun that you want to buy. (Even in doing this, you won't be out of the woods though).

EDIT: I also agree with peetzakilla. Some guns do require breaking in, while others do not. Either way, you are going to fire the gun, so you might as well break it in yourself (if your particular gun even requires it). Sometimes it's discouraging to have your gun not function properly during a break-in period, but at least you are also learning your gun in the process and observing how it handles particular problems.

Last edited by =Wolfman=; January 12, 2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old January 12, 2010, 01:36 PM   #4
gwnorth

I have only ever bought one used gun from a store, and I've bought or traded for several in FTF deals with folks in VA (ads on here, highroad, vaguntrader.com). So far I'm actually about 50/50 in guns gained either as factory new from a store and used from private deals. My one used store purchase was a 1982 Ruger Service Six - the gun by all appearances and function checks is in very good condition, and I bought it from a store I know with people I trust to not take in junk.

Thus far, I've never had a problem, and have gotten some great deals on older out-of-production models in superb condition with many, many years of life still left in them. You need to do your due diligence and inspect the gun thoroughly (and know what you are looking at and for beforehand) before deciding to purchase. Also, for classifieds, check out the seller as best you can. Even current production guns can often be had at a good discount used (I own a used Taurus PT1911 that has been flawless for a few thousand rounds now and got it for a good $150 less then new, at the time).

I have never bought used other then FTF though, so I've always been able to do a hands on inspection first. Buying out of state and having something shipped that I have not personally handled and inspected is not something I am comfortable with.
Old January 12, 2010, 01:37 PM   #5
spamanon

Here is how I evaluate this decision.

Say the cost of a new gun is $A and the cost of a used gun is $B. The pertinent question is this: is $(A-B) worth, to me, what I get with a new gun as opposed to a used gun?

In some respect, you are making the case that a used gun is worth more than a new gun in regards to the break-in, so with the above numbers, $(A-B) extra is being paid for less in return.

I usually disagree. The net worth goes to the new gun in my view. Things like:

1. Warranty from the factory.
2. Unknowns about previous care which cannot be completely eliminated without serious time and labor (i.e., consulting a gunsmith which costs money and eats away at $(A-B)).
etc.

usually are worth $(A-B) to me. Now in some instances, the advantages of a new gun over the used gun are not worth the $(A-B) extra. Such as:

1. There is no chance to buy new because they are not made anymore.
2. The factory warranty follows the gun or is still in effect.
etc.
Old January 12, 2010, 03:02 PM   #6
comn-cents

It's good thinking and is why I often buy used. Most people don't come close to shooting their guns enough to do any damage to them. As long as the gun looks in good shape. I won't buy something used that has a iffy reputation. When I do buy used I will still make sure they function 100% before I will use them for self-defense situations.
Old January 12, 2010, 03:05 PM   #7
BlueTrain

By no means do I have my mind made up. That is, I'd like to buy one of about three or four different models but I don't really have high hopes of finding a used one in any condition but you never know. One of the things I was getting at is that several people here seem to have been disappointed with new guns that they've bought, here referring only to pistols, and I was wondering if buying one used was a way of avoiding that. I certainly realize it is just as easy to be disappointed with a used gun as with a new one and I have been. And that was with a Sig, no less. Somehow it doesn't seem right that the only 100% reliable pistol I think I've ever owned in recent memory was a Makarov, and I've had a couple of Brownings, a Sig, a few S&Ws, a few Walthers, several Colts and a Springfield Armory. However, I usually shot reloaded ammuntion in everything but the Makarov and that might explain most of it.

I do note that there are some desirable guns either no longer manufactured or otherwise no longer available (or priced out of sight) and likewise some new models would be unlikely to be available used anytime soon. So availability enters into the matter and price is always a consideration.
Buy War Bonds.
Old January 12, 2010, 03:54 PM   #8
peejman

I only own 1 gun I bought new and I've never owned a new vehicle. If you do your homework, buying used isn't a problem and can save you a lot of money. Most people don't shoot their guns much anyway. Just like with a car, you need to do a careful inspection and look for signs of abuse. Any big name gun with a few hundred rounds down the barrel that isn't rusty or otherwise beat up, is likely fine.

My Ruger P85 was pretty beat up on the outside when I bought it, but the barrel was spotless and the rest of the important parts, while showing some wear, were very clean. I got a screaming deal on it. It shoots great.
Old January 12, 2010, 04:01 PM   #9
gglass

I only own two used handguns, because I am a stickler for knowing the detailed history of a gun. If it is not the history that I made, then it would drive me crazy in not knowing how the firearm was used and cared for.

Both of my used handguns are SA Loaded 1911's, each with la verifiable less than 50 rounds down the pipe at the time of purchase. Everything else I own HAD to be new.

Why did I make an exception for the SA 1911's? I will not buy a new production firearm from Springfield since U.S. labor was not employed to make the firearm. Buying a used firearm does not displace an American worker.
Old January 12, 2010, 04:14 PM   #10
Hardcase

Well, going by the vehicle metaphor, the lone new car that I purchased back in 1990 was an utter lemon (although the warranty covered all of the myriad problems.) I've had a couple of flaky used cars, too, so that's not much of a guide.

You want new, buy new. You want used, buy used. Some of my guns are new, most of 'em are used - but most of them are milsurps, so "used" is maybe a technicality. Still, my stone-cold, most reliable, fall back on it, A-number one weapon is my used, German police surplus Walther P5.

A statistically insignificant sample, to be sure.
Old January 12, 2010, 04:58 PM   #11
RickE

I purchased my only used gun about a year ago, at a Cabelas store. The PPKS used to jam about twice on one clip. I have polished various parts, oil,etc etc etc, but have not been to the range to test. Anyway, back to your question... I think I know why it was traded in on something else.
Old January 12, 2010, 05:49 PM   #12
Coltman 77

I made the tragic mistake of purchasing a lightly used Beretta 84F for my wife to carry. She loves my Beretta 92s and also loved this smaller version.

It was in pristine condition -- I examined it closely -- and was covered by the gunshop's 30-day warranty.

We had many ftf and fte problems on our first two trips to the range.

After many trips back to the gunsmith at the shop, I let it go. We traded for a PPS in 9mm which has been just excellent. Best trade I ever made.

And very timely, because this time last year, .380 became unavailable (Obama) and I wanted to move to a serious self defense caliber like the 9mm.

The controls on the 84F were just tiny -- safety, slide release, etc. And all the springs were tighter than dick's hatband. I couldn't work them and Jill certainly could not. It was extremely difficult to rack the slide and load the magazines due to the minute size and high spring tension.

That was a huge lesson to me, I'll never buy a used firearm again.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old January 12, 2010, 07:17 PM   #13
ranburr

I buy used any time I can. The average owner shoots a box of ammo and puts his pistol away for ten yrs. You can get some great deals on used guns. Just inspect them carefully.
Old January 14, 2010, 07:45 PM   #14
Straightshooter629

As a habit, I will not buy used guns. The only exception is when I know the owner and can be fairly certain of the history of the gun. For that reason, I've only bought two used guns...just my opinion.
Old January 14, 2010, 08:04 PM   #15
varoadking

Quote:
The controls on the 84F were just tiny -- safety, slide release, etc. And all the springs were tighter than dick's hatband. I couldn't work them and Jill certainly could not. It was extremely difficult to rack the slide and load the magazines due to the minute size and high spring tension.

That was a huge lesson to me, I'll never buy a used firearm again.
Would have made more sense to say you'll never buy a Beretta 84F again...

Used guns make up half of my collection or more, and none are any less the gun they were designed to be than the new ones...some better.

Then again, I know what to look for and will actually shoot mine. I don't buy something because it's all shiney and new just to have it and take pretty pictures of it to post here...worried that I might scuff it up, or that it might not match my cars interior...
Old January 14, 2010, 08:33 PM   #16
madmag

I have several used guns, always had good luck. I don't really think it's like buying a used car. I think it's a lot easier to inspect a used gun, if you know what to look for. There are lots of valid reasons why a good used gun hits the market. Some are police departments that are changing models or types. You would be surprised how many police guns have more holster wear than real use. Smith Model 10's are an example. Purchased one myself few years ago. Perfect mechanical shape and shot good. I traded it because I was in my buying trading mode at the time. Or how about this Speed Six I got from a retired trooped that keep it for back-up for years. It is like new.

My fault, this is about semi's. But I have purchased good used semi's also. Same rule applies.

Another good rule is to try and deal with a small local gun shop. Lots of times these are operated by people that actually know guns, not like the very large stores.

Quote:
I don't remember, for instance, the last time I saw a Ruger automatic
Yeah, you won't see mine in a store.

Last edited by madmag; January 15, 2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old January 14, 2010, 11:41 PM   #17
DasFriek

I own 3 new guns and 3 used ones with a new one in layaway.
I prefer new on low end guns and used on high end guns since money is always a factor for me.
One used gun i just bought used was a Mossy 500SPX that was never fired and i picked it up at close to half price.
Another used one is an antique CZ vz 45 .25 made in 1947 with less than 10 shots threw it.
My 3rd used gun looked to have less than 50 rounds threw it.

Used guns that have never been fired or fired very little aren't that hard to find,and you can save a ton as long as you have time to invest in visiting gun stores constantly.Which is fun so i dont mind.

My new guns were purchased as no used ones like them could be found when i had the cash and wanted it.My P238 would almost be impossible to find used 3 months ago when i bought mine.

Basically id prefer used guns to save money,but will buy new as long as my budget can handle it.But i wont buy guns that look like they are a project gun or so worn out that more than 30% of their life is gone.
Old January 14, 2010, 11:43 PM   #18
JohnKSa
Staff

I'll buy used if I know the model well enough that I feel I can adequately evaluate its condition or if I know the seller and am sure he'll take care of me if something turns out to be wrong.
Old January 15, 2010, 12:25 AM   #19
GreySmoke

I have bought two Smith and Wesson 3rd generation police autos. A 5906 Classic 9mm and a 4006 .40S&W Single stack. Both are good shooters.
Here is pics of my range visit tonight with the 5906...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SW5906.jpg (243.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Rngrpt011410.jpg (244.3 KB, 31 views)
Old January 15, 2010, 12:47 AM   #20
Rich Miranda

Bluetrain, I have only ever bought or traded for used guns. I have yet to have a single problem. I don't even consider the break-in period. On my last purchase (my second Ruger P89), I thought I might have gotten a lemon but it turns out that the recoil spring was in backwards (should have caught it when I removed the slide but it's not that easy if you're not looking for it). Turned it around and it runs like a Ruger (Ha!).

I have nothing against new. But I have learned the hard way that folks often buy a gun, realize they don't like it, then sell it for quite a bit less than new, often in hopes of buying yet another gun they (hopefully) do like. I try to find these specimens. They might only have 50-200 rounds through them! These are the best values.

On the other hand, even a gun that is well-used, like the P89 I mentioned, can be a good value at the right price. It's a little more 'weathered' perhaps, but goes bang every time.
Old January 15, 2010, 01:27 AM   #21
wvshooter

I don't hesitate to buy a used gun. I bought one from Bud's advertised as "factory new condition" and was not disappointed. Granted it wasn't actually FNC when I received and inspected it but it was very close and that's good enough for me. The price new would have been about double. I don't need that.

I've bought several used guns locally at Gander Mountain and have been very happy with condition and price. Of course you have to inspect them and have some knowledge of what to look for regarding condition. I purchased a Smith 686 revolver that is just beautiful for $400. A Smith 5906 semi auto in pristine condition for the same price. A CZ rami 2075 that was perfect and a Smith Sigma 9ve in like new condition. All of these were way below new prices. Also, I'm about to add a Smith 5946 from Gander Mtn. that looks mint.

They always have lots of police Glocks that look crappy. I'm not interested in crappy looking guns regardless of price.

You really don't have to worry much if you buy a used Smith and Wesson. Their customer service is the best in the industry.

I do buy some new guns but I prefer buying something little used for half the price.
Old January 15, 2010, 06:10 AM   #22
Auto426

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetzakilla
I don't like used. Cars or guns.
Agreed.

There is just something about a used item that makes it feel as though it's not really yours. I drive a 2007 Dodge Charger that I bought used. I love the car, but it's not "mine". It has stains, scratches, etc. that I didn't put there. I wasn't the one to drive it out of the show room. I wasn't the one putting all of the miles on the odometer. The same goes for guns. They just don't feel like they are truly mine.

However, we must make do with what we have and what we can afford. If I can afford a new gun, I usually go for one. If there is something old, and out of production that I want, I will make do with a used one.
Old January 15, 2010, 07:45 AM   #23
BlueTrain

Interesting comments about new and used cars. We've only had three new cars in 30 years and one new truck but only three used cars. We still have the truck but curiously, the three cars we have (for the four of us) are the ones bought used. But for guns, I think I've bought just as many new as used. The used ones you just sort of take care of for a while.

Returning to the thoughts in my original posting, I've never had any experiences with any of the automatics, new or used, that suggested any of them needed a break-in period. That could be true with certain kinds of ammunition and I've had one gun that would not feed (at all) hollow point ammunition but was perfectly happy with lead bullets, even 158 grain SWC lead bullets in a 9mm. And that one was purchased new. It was a Star BKM and I shot it until things started coming loose, which was a fault of the Star alloy framed pistols. So if any of them benifited from a break-in period, it never showed. They all worked fine from the start, with the ammuntion limitations.

Many mention ammuntion, even with .22 automatics. Most of my shooting was with my own reloads and sometimes I had problems. I always assumed it was my ammuntion at fault. I never had problems with factory ammunition and was always also a little surprised at how much more powerful the factory ammuntion seemed to be.
Buy War Bonds.
Old January 15, 2010, 08:30 AM   #24
Sevens

Those of us who -LOVE- the used gun market also very much love the folks who specifically avoid used guns.

It's my opinion that some guns are problematic (for varying reasons) and some guns are less problematic but it's a very rare occurrence that this has anything whatsoever to do with if it's been pre-owned or box fresh.

Those of you who think you'll skip most potential problems by avoiding used guns keep more of them in the market for the rest of us. And every person out there who patently refuses to go near a used gun will end up purchasing new-- which just helps to keep the market for used guns stocked and humming along.

We very much appreciate this. And please don't take this as ANY kind of condemnation. At the end of the day, YOU and I both have to be comfortable with what we've bought and if you feel like buying new gives you a better chance at that, then that's probably the proper route.

I just won't feel guilty about benefiting from it!
Old January 15, 2010, 11:49 AM   #25
sourdough44

I'm not afraid of 'used' guns. Like was posted above many put a box or 2 through the gun & there it sits. Look at things like range availability & time, cost of shooting or hunting, etc.? I bought 2 used guns lately. I worry more about neglect, not seeing an oily cloth in years & such. I bought a 'used' Sako Forester a guy ordered from the factory in 1966. He was the original owner & gave me some of his 'period' ammo. He also lived in a shotgun only deer area & cleaned the gun once in a while. The gun looks new & has less than 50 shots or so fired. I've been on a handgun kick lately though. I don't NEED any more guns, but when a deal is in front of me it's hard to hold back.