The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 5, 2001, 08:04 PM   #1
Indy Steve

I am about to buy my first 1911. What do you carry your 1911 in.

Ok, sure this is a very personnal quest. So some more info from me might help me help you suggest some options.

I live in Florida. I am 6ft, 220 lbs. Spare tire is present. I am not a suit and I dress business casual at work. I currently carry one of a few special choices:

1) HK USP .45 full in M/D Ent. YCS, strong side(R),IWB, w/ a mag in each pocket.

2) HK USP 9mm compact in a Milt Sparks VM II,IWB, strong side mag in each pocket

3) SW 640-1 .357 in a Milt Sparks SS, strong side, IWB, or ankle rig, speed strip in each pocket

4) SW 696 .44 SPL, in a Wild Bills NBS, high ride, strong side, OWB. Still looking for speed strips for .44.

So I have tried a few different types and makers. I like them all when they fit what I wear on the particular situation. But this would be my first 1911. I have not tried small of the back or those shoulder rigs. So I am asking for some guidance here.

Old February 5, 2001, 08:10 PM   #2
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Well - since the TRP is one of the Best .45s out there...
You need to get one of the best skins for it.

I like Ted Blocker, Milt Sparks, Jackass Leather, all depends on your style. Some guys like the Wilson Combat leathers just because of the exotic options, but I dont like the designs... You can get Galco in spiffy leather too.
Old February 6, 2001, 12:58 AM   #3
Indy Steve

Thanks George and Son.

Son, I will look on Rusty's site
http://www.c-rusty.com

What is the standard carry load and number of mags for CCW on these single stack "half" mags? After lugging double column USP mags around these will feel weird.

I know this thread is probably better suited for the Gear and Accessories forum but I wanted to ask specifically about the leather for the SA TRP and figured this would be the best place.

George or Son, can you recommend a set of "glow in the dark" sights for this thing? Ashley? Novak? Same thing? - Personal preference? I am running Try Dot's now but they do not have the melted down smooth edges.