The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2013, 04:42 PM   #1
Old 454

10MM Load

Any one have a good load for 10MM, I have alot of Bullseye poweder allong with W231/HP38

thanks in advance

Last edited by Old 454; October 25, 2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old October 25, 2013, 05:07 PM   #2
Mike / Tx

I have several decent 10mm loads but none using those powders.

I set up my loads years ago using AA 5,7, and 9 powders. I use the 5 with the 135-150gr bullets, the 7 with 150 through 175's and the 9 for anything heavier.

It was just easier for me back then to do that and not have extra powders sitting around. Of course nowadays I mainly have the 5 and 7 around for my 45 Colt and 41 magnum cast loads. The AA-9 is used more so with my 454 and upper end 45 Colt but I still might load up some 10mm one day soon.
Old October 25, 2013, 05:09 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

Not with B'eye or 231 (I use them both, just not with 10mm.)

I've got a "60% power" load with AA2 - that roughly emulates 40-short-n-weak.

And an "80% power" load with AA5 - that roughly emulates Fed Hydrashock.

Both using 180g JFP's.

I haven't gotten into trying to emulate 100% hot rounds yet. Might need to get some AA7 for that. At any rate, I'll put that iron in the fire sometime next year. The off-season is coming and I still have lots of other projects going on.
Old October 25, 2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Ruger45LC

I've only used HP38/W231 with 180gr in 10mm, but 5.8gr of it is what I use, it's what Hodgdon says is max.
Old October 25, 2013, 05:26 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I've only used HP38/W231 with 180gr in 10mm, but 5.8gr of it is what I use, it's what Hodgdon says is max.
I would be willing to load 231 with a 180g bullet, but I'd definitely proceed with caution. I would have a greater comfort level with a 165g bullet. 231 is the greatest powder ever, but it can and does pressure spike. And this is the kind of combination where it would tend to do so.

And the use of Bullseye in 10mm is a showstopper from the onset - it's just too fast. Bullseye is for 38 wadcutters, basically. It does that extremely well, granted, but has few other practical uses.
Old October 25, 2013, 05:42 PM   #6
Old 454

hmmm forgot to mention the bullets will be hardcast 180 grain FP. (SNS Casting)

Well let me list the powders I have under my bench.

Bullseye
W231
HP38
AA#5 (almost out of this, store is out too)
Power Pistol
W296
H110
IMR-4227

Also these loads will be in the mid range. Not hot but not on the bottom of the scale.
Old October 25, 2013, 06:07 PM   #7
Nick_C_S

So your 180g FP is a cast lead bullet? 10mm and lead don't get along.

Your middle of the scale powders are AA5 and Power Pistol. They are both good for what your trying to do. AA5 is the best choice, IMO. Power Pistol can do medium to 90% hot too.

My new concern is my first sentence. ^^ 10mm likes copper jackets. Or at least plated.
Old October 25, 2013, 06:15 PM   #8
Old 454

Nick, there is no FMJ, TMJ or plated in my area for 10MM or 40S&W.

Thats why I am keeping it a mid range load, Hardcast about 15 BHN Lead is all that is avalible to me at this time.
Old October 25, 2013, 06:36 PM   #9
Nick_C_S

Oh my. That does put you in a bit of a sticky wicket.

If I were in that situation (and I'm glad I'm not, sorry), I would tend to use your W231/HP-38 (they're the same powder, in case you didn't know), somewhere in the 5.5g range. I would have do some additional research on that loading, however. I have no data off-hand. I'm just guesstimating.

Or the AA5 might be able to get you a decent round. The starting load in Speer #14 is 8.5g - for jacketed. Maybe try 8.0g.

If you use any powder any slower than those, and you're liable to have a chunk of molten lead coming out your barrel. I'm exaggerating, of course. I'm just saying that 10mm and lead slugs don't really mix - regardless of the powder combo. 40S&W is tough enough.
Old October 26, 2013, 08:18 AM   #10
Old 454

ok Nick thanks, I will do a little more internet searching, I was also a little skeptical about lead also but more so because of the issue with lead and glocks.

But these will be shot out of a 10MM Colt. I will keep these rounds on the low side.

thanks to all that replied.
Old October 26, 2013, 10:38 AM   #11
Ruger45LC

The load I mentioned above, 5.8gr HP38/231 @ 1.250" works great with ... lead.

It averages 1080 fps from ... stock Glock 20.

The issue of lead in Glock barrels is blown way out of proportion, it's all about how well but bullet fits the barrel. However, since you're shooting from a Colt 10mm, this doesn't apply....shoot away.

And not trying to be argumentative, but there is nothing wrong with lead in a 10mm, or lead in any other caliber for that matter. If for whatever reason someone got poor results using lead, it's not because of lead, it's because something in the reloading process wasn't done quite right, or that the lead bullet diameter is off and slightly undersized. The most accurate load I've shot so far in the 10mm is a 200gr hardcast, very very accurate.
Old October 26, 2013, 11:39 AM   #12
Nick_C_S

Old 454, I think you should give Ruger45LC's recipe a whirl. Worst it can do is cause some leading. At best, it may be a fine shooting round for your application. And since it's a target load, it's not the kind of round that you have to "work up." It's a mild load as it is and seems quite reasonable.

Quote:
The most accurate load I've shot so far in the 10mm is a 200gr hardcast, very very accurate.
Yes, lead bullets are inherently (for the sake of this discussion) more accurate than jacketed. Lead "smooshes" into the groves, complies nicely, and exits the barrel nice n straight. I've got a 45 ACP round that is so accurate I can shoot the eyebrow off a gnat 15 yards lol (maybe a slight exaggeration, yeah). It's lead.

I must commend those who slug their bores, measure their bullets to .0005" (or whatever), and do all the other things necessary to mitigate barrel (and cylinder throat, when applicable) leading. It's an art in and of itself; and when executed to perfection, can achieve some amazing results in the form of minimal or no leading with quite impressive velocities. My hat's off to you.

Quote:
it's not because of lead, it's because something in the reloading process wasn't done quite right, or that the lead bullet diameter is off and slightly undersized.
Well, it is because it's lead. The cause of barrel leading is . . . lead. All the steps taken to mitigate leading, is a process of minimizing something that - given enough velocity - is going to happen no matter what. If you could magically push a lead bullet down a barrel without propellent, at some velocity, it's going to smear lead in the barrel - just out of sheer friction. It's physics.

I am certainly not "anti-lead." As I compose this, there are over 5000 lead slugs in my view, another 1500+ at my loading bench, and another 1000 heading my way via USPS. I load a lot of lead. My point is: yes, steps can be taken to mitigate barrel leading. But for most of us, we're not going to bother. I've never slugged my barrels. I've got some recipes that lead up my barrels a bit - and I know I can probably dig in to find the problem and take steps to correct them. But to me, those steps are extraordinary. If a load recipe causes excessive leading, I'm going to re-engineer my recipe with a jacketed (or plated) bullet, and be done with it. But I do have a great deal of respect for those who chose to take the other path by attempting to mitigate the leading.
Old October 29, 2013, 05:50 PM   #13
Old 454

thanks for all the suggestions, I will try the w231 one next time.

I went with 7.2 grains of Power Pistol under the 180 grain hardcast.

I think this should give me in the area of about 1050 FPS
Old November 1, 2013, 06:14 AM   #14
WESHOOT2

4.2g W231, 200g FMJ.

Easy shooting.....