The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 16, 2007, 02:12 PM   #26
Timeframe

OK, so there are a lot of animal lovers on this sight,this is good.
How ever if someone is on my property and telling me he is going to kick my ass and that I should meet him half way.I will with my 12 gauge stuck in his face until he is no longer on MY PROPERTY.

The point that this person was threatened on his own property and he ran into his house to escape a confrontation.This is wrong.
Peroid.What's next? Your porch.
Old May 16, 2007, 03:02 PM   #27
Groundhog

Quote:
The point that this person was threatened on his own property and he ran into his house to escape a confrontation.This is wrong.
Peroid.What's next? Your porch.
OK, you shared your opinion about how the OP handled it. I would be ever so grateful if you would share how YOU would have handled the situation.

So far I'm leaning toward how the OP handled it, but maybe you could sway me.

"Remember, a valid point never overrules a family tradition." - Me
Old May 16, 2007, 03:33 PM   #28
markj

Quote:
How ever if someone is on my property
He was not on my property, his dog was. He was in the road about 1/2 block from me. I didnt run into my house, I had a .45 SA on my person, I chose to not shoot the dog after he growled at me, the guy yelled he wanted to kick my rear end. Git yer facts straight bud before you call me yella, I am not afraid of any man.

Geez, another case of kids on the computer wanting to kill evrything in sight.
Old May 18, 2007, 03:59 PM   #29
dawg23

Quote:
Posted by Doggieman: Next time take your shotgun. Nothin' scares trespassers like a 12 gauge.
OK, I've waded through 28 posts and NOBODY has done it yet. I guess I'll have to do it.

Carry a 12 gauge with an empty chamber so you can rack the slide. Nothing scares a man like the sound of a shotgun being racked.
Old May 18, 2007, 05:22 PM   #30
Shakey357

Good for you and your restraint. I don't know if I would have shown that much! Living in a relatively urban area; I'm always worried that someone will let their "guard dog" loose either intentionally or unintentionally. If I can scare it off with a broom/rake/hoe; that works. If it comes at me or (especially) my kids, it might go home in a sack.

FYI, when I lived outside Chicago; I had a neighbor. He was a great guy, Viet Nam vet and I really liked him. However, he had a big, black Doberman and a low fence. I had a two year old daughter. I informed him that if "Baby" (its real name!) came over the fence; it would come back dead. Having two grown daughters, he understood that and we became good friends and neighbors.
Old May 18, 2007, 06:01 PM   #31
LICCW

Mark,
I applaud your wise and sane actions. I totally agree that you don't kill the dog unless you have to. Your handling of the situation was perfect. What makes your actions so smart is that they would apply to anyone in that situation in any state. If my neighbor's dog comes on my property and growls at me and I shoot it, I'm in big trouble on Long Island. Hell, I had two guys who were breaking into my neighbor's property tell me they were going to kill me when I confronted them, and I still couldn't shoot. One even advanced toward me. I had my Glock on me and was on my property, but I had to retreat into my house, because in NY the obligation to retreat only ends if you are actually inside your house and the assailants are also. Not menacing the dog owner or creating bad blood by killing the guys dog needlessly is wise. A guy kills my dog and I'm going to retaliate some day unless I feel he had no choice. Its not about being tough or anything, its about conflict resolution that fits the conflict. Well done, sir.
Old May 18, 2007, 10:06 PM   #32
WIN71

Mark.........

Your neighbor is a dip. And so is his dog. He was born that way, his dog was trained or lack of, that way. It's likely neither will change. You did fine .Sometimes it's just not worth having a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Old May 22, 2007, 04:28 PM   #33
gunboat212

You did good.

I'm not going to shoot someone over a cat, or because his dog growled at me. This guy has a young kid. Do you want to him to feed the family on Roast Pride or Roast Pork?
Old May 22, 2007, 05:55 PM   #34
TallPine

Quote:
lived on a working cattle ranch for a number of years. Our policy was to shoot any stray dog on your property. On sight. No one in the ranching community would question your actions. Stray dogs could be calf killers.
That's the way it is around here - consequently we don't have many dog problems

It all depends on where you are. Me, I might have shot the dog immediately for harrassing my cat. The one dog that I've killed had come up on our porch and grabbed and killed a kitten right on our doorstep I couldn't care less about "neighbor relations" in that situation - about a year later the neighbor that owned the dog went to prison anyway.
"The inherent right in the people to reform their government, I do not deny; and they have another right, and that is to resist unconstitutional laws without overturning the government." --Daniel Webster
Old May 22, 2007, 06:09 PM   #35
ohioleadslinger

Aggressive Dog

I wouldn't shoot the dog unless it actually attacked me. A growling dog is a scared dog. Most dogs that attack and bite do so silently. In Ohio you better show a little blood if you put down someones dog. I work downtown in Cinci quite a bit and even though there is a ordinance against pit bulls, I'll be darned if I don't see 3 or 4 being walked every time I'm there. My uniform sets them to barking and growling nearly ever time. My scenario would be offer my weak arm while drawing strong armed if attacked. If it were several in a pack loose then I would draw and be ready. No weak arm treat to chew on. I would have no doubt that if I did shoot a dog in downtown I would have everyone and his brother on me in a second.

Godbless......
Life Member NRA , OFCC Member
Old May 22, 2007, 08:17 PM   #36
Benzene

12-gauge??!!

So this "neighbor is a dip. And so is his dog". What if you "Carry a 12 gauge with an empty chamber so you can rack the slide," and he then calls the cops with a report of being threatened by a gun-totting idiot!!! Just asking.
Old May 22, 2007, 08:24 PM   #37
crebralfix

Nothing scares a man like the sound of a shotgun being racked.

Nothing scares a man like an M14 being fired after hearing the shotgun being racked

Point is, you give your position away.
Old May 23, 2007, 12:51 PM   #38
rdickenson

I believe the Blues Man Dave said it best. You applied "de-escalation" techniques I try to teach all the time. A less technical term is called responsible action.

Good job.

- Rob
Old May 23, 2007, 02:06 PM   #39
Johannes_Paulsen

"For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence."

-Sun Tzu

Well played.
Old May 31, 2007, 05:23 PM   #40
dralarms

I'm new here but ya did good.

That being said I have had a problem with pits in my yard killing my cats and acting like they are going to come after me. The first few times I hit them with 22 rat shot , that slowed them down a bit, however 1 great big one just wouldn't learn, took a 12 gauge to the butt to teach him to stay off my property.

Then along comes a whole danged crew of pit pups. OK this crap has got to stop so instead of shooting to scare I filled their little rumps with 22 rat shot (at close range mind you), them pups never came back.

I do have all kinds of documentation of dangerous dogs with the local law enforcement so If I have to put one down (no longer using rat shot) I can prove they were dangerous and my grand children are my primary concern.
Old May 31, 2007, 08:03 PM   #41
Mak308

Smart Move

That was a smart move you pulled, I really think if that was me I would have shot the dog in the leg, and just as the man would have came running after me I would gave him one right in the knee cap.
Old May 31, 2007, 08:42 PM   #42
STS3_SSN705

I believe there are different rules of dog engagement between the cities, the burbs, and the rural areas. I live in a suburban area, and I can say from experience that people who use their dogs as neighborhood bullies suck! I applaud your constraint. As much as I would have wanted to shoot the dog (and I would have if it continued and attacked me) I wouldn't have shot it while its owner was there to remove it. He might well have been armed, or come back later armed.

I am a utility worker in the Philadelphia area. Unfortunately, I am not allowed to carry on the job, so I have resorted to other means of dog protection (many aren't woth the price of ammo anyway). A little while back, I had an angry homeowner send their dog after me while I was disconnecting their service on a pole in their back yard. I very clearly informed the woman that when I cam down the pole, that if the dog was still there trying to get at me, I would kill it. She refused to bring it in. I used my attitude adjuster (2 pound lineman's hammer) to resolve the conflict with the dog. The next guy who climbs that pole will have a dog free work environment...
Old June 12, 2007, 02:31 PM   #43
don_hamer

Good job on handling the situation.
http://www.thefirearmdirectory.com - Add Your Firearm/Gun/Weapons Website
Old June 12, 2007, 03:41 PM   #44
Eghad

Quote:
Well done, Mark.

It's called de-escalation and it is the right thing to do when you are in a confrontation. *Especially* when you are carrying a firearm.

But you didn't need me to tell you that...

-Dave
got my vote as well.......

I was in a situation with a relative. I figured out the the best solution is for law enforcement to handle it. That way if he gets out of line the police can use legitimate force and pepper spray and all that nasty stuff on him. I get the joy of watching. I had to call the police three times...now he behaves because he knows that I will call the police. He learned that police can and will defend themselves. He found he prefers the easy way instead of the officers having to do things the hard way. That silence and peace are golden.

So my first resource if I can deescalate the situation is going to be call the police.

NRA Life Member
Old June 12, 2007, 07:20 PM   #45
Black Adder LXX

Discretion is the better part of valor. Well done.
Old June 15, 2007, 09:38 PM   #46
The Immortal

Markj, I commend you for your self-restraint and composure. The story you have told should be an example to all those that carry. Do not think of yourself, as a coward, just because you have the power, does not mean you have to use it.

Good Job!
Old June 15, 2007, 10:38 PM   #47
Csspecs

Quote:
That was a smart move you pulled, I really think if that was me I would have shot the dog in the leg, and just as the man would have came running after me I would gave him one right in the knee cap.
Hmmm, are you right in the head?

I have been bit before, I have been chased by dogs before, I have been both at the same time and then yelled at by the owner for "making his dogs mad" (what the hell is that). But I would never shoot a dog or person unless the crap has really hit the fan and there is no way out (feral dogs and cats are another story).

If a shot is fired you are going to be facing a cop at least and a good chance of meeting the judge for just shooting the dog. You have a great chance of meeting the judge and jury if you "give him one right in the knee cap".

No thanks, I don't find shooting dogs all that sporting.
Old June 15, 2007, 11:14 PM   #48
Engloid

Although your story would have been interesting if it had ended with a shootout, you did what you should have done.
Old June 16, 2007, 02:11 PM   #49
Groundhog

Quote:
Although your story would have been interesting if it had ended with a shootout, you did what you should have done.
LOL, we're just like NASCAR or hockey fans, we only come here for the fights and wrecks!

"Remember, a valid point never overrules a family tradition." - Me
Old June 16, 2007, 03:33 PM   #50
orionengnr

Quote:
... I really think if that was me I would have shot the dog in the leg, and just as the man would have came running after me I would gave him one right in the knee cap.
Bwaaahaaahaaaaaahaaa....

I hope that was a heavy dose of sarcasm. If not, it was a heavy dose of idiocy.