The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old October 7, 2004, 06:22 AM   #26
Hal

Quote:
we're at war. The other side knows it. Our side's great weakness is that too many of our side doesn't know it.
I agree 100% with the war part.

I'm about half way with what our greatest weakness is though. I believe it's a war of attrition.
Let me explain.
The "other side" is divided as much as we are. Their strength however is that even divided, they manage to hit us on many levels. Every hit from them weakens us. OTOH, we can't do much, if anything, to strike back. Our latest (and only) "victory" was the expiration of the AWB. I'm as happy as anyone that it expired. Truth is though, it wasn't much of a victory. We didn't "gain" anything, we just rolled back some of the financial barriers. Everything that was on the AWB list was available all along,,,for a price. It didn't change much when it expired, except the price tag on things.

OTOH, if the AWB had been extended, it would have been a "crushing" defeat for us. Even in *victory*, we're too busy celebrating to take the initiative and hit back hard. We had the chance to use the AWB, and the "moral victory" to really pour the coals on and make the anti's squirm. No one stepped up and took charge though,,and the chance slipped past. This is the basic "game plan" you see every Sunday on the NFL.
Recover a fumble - go for the score while the other side is reeling.
We recovered a fumble - and sent a 150lb "scat back" up the middle.
(any Browns fan will catch the "Metcalf up the middle" analogy).

I think "our" greatest weakness is lack of a strong leader. Us "troops" are ready to go, we just simply lack *someone* to send us. As it is, we just sit around waiting and growning weaker. Things like Leatherman supporting an anti like Kerry seem like small things. All those small things add up though and just weaken our position a bit at a time. One of these days, I'm afraid people are going to wake up to the fact that we're getting to the point where we just can't fight anymore. Looking at the "list" of companies, I'm rather disgusted by it. Not that Leatherman is on it, but the number of "Outdoor" companies that are in effect saying "Kerry is a sportsman" ergo "Kerry supports the sporting purpose of the 2nd amendment" <--Ain't no such thing.

Sorry to ramble and sorry if it doesn't make sense. I get kind of rattled when i get good and PO'ed.
Old October 7, 2004, 09:40 AM   #27
Joseph

Quote:
If one can not or refuses see the differnece between Georger W. Bush and Kerry, I have no words to offer to help you see the light.
This is just silly. Look at my signature, and various efforts to rally folks into real action for Kerry around here and THR.

If you think boycotting a knife manufacturer will help our position, please, go to it. But this nonsense of Kerry being a "traitor" and Bush being a "Patriot" is just foolish. You know what they really are? Skull and Bonesmen. They live in a world which most people here have no conception of, these folks are talking which administration takes the fall for Iraq, and then which one will clean up the mess. It has virtually nothing to do with Kerry and Bush, or Democrat or Republican. It's kind of like "Men in Black". You don't want to know.

But on a more mundane level, I do believe action keeps the wolf away. So what are ya'll doing to actively work towards Kerry being defeated, besides not buying a knife you either already own or probably weren't going to buy before November 2 anyways.

As usual, YMMV.
Old October 7, 2004, 10:20 AM   #28
Fred Hansen

Quote:
Come on, Quart. You know there isn't a tinker's damn worth of difference between Kerry and Bush.
If you can attribute more than three decades worth of giving aid and comfort to the enemies of our nation to President Bush, and I find your evidence credible, then I'll agree with your assessment.

Until then, I will continue to side with the Vietnam era vets Kerry betrayed. I'll will continue to side with the latter part of the Cold War era veterans (my own personal group) that Kerry betrayed, and I will also side with the Gulf War I/Balkans/WWIII/Gulf War II veterans that Kerry has/is betraying.
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old October 7, 2004, 10:51 AM   #29
Fred Hansen

http://kerrylied.com/otherdocs/flash.htm

One of hundreds of examples I can give you. Speak up if you need more.
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old October 7, 2004, 11:07 AM   #30
Joseph

Preachin' to the choir, bro. I was a Navy PO who volunteered to serve with the marines in Vietnam, and I think Kerry is worse than an opportunist, even though I ended up thinking that war was misguided. Any guy who puts himself up for medals is a demigogue, and I think the Swifties were right on, even got some of my money.

Let's channel this energy into fighting him, not each other.
Old October 7, 2004, 02:05 PM   #31
czmatt

Leatherman has, and will loose alot of business over this. A silly move on their part. They have definatley lost my business.

"I think, therefore, I carry"
Old November 1, 2004, 04:13 PM   #32
OrangeSkies

I emailed Tim Leatherman when I first heard of this nonsense. This was his reply:

Quote:
Hello xxxx,

That's your right. I'm curious though. I have received several e-mails very similar to yours. I assume you and the others have been requested by someone else to write them. Is this correct? If so, who is it? If the candidates, or the political parties, or someone affiliated with them are creating campaigns to retaliate economically against people who express a political opinion, I'd like to provide that information to the press and see what kind of backlash occurs.

Meanwhile we should be able to have an honest difference of opinion on which candidate will best support the interests of all Americans.

In a nutshell, my position is that personally, I am quite sure I am benefiting much more from the Bush tax cuts and other economic policies than most people, but I'm very concerned about where the policies of the current administration are taking this country. I'm very concerned that many, many people are not better off now than they were three and one half years ago, and I'm even more concerned about the future for our children and grandchildren. I don't agree with everything Kerry and Edwards propose either, but I think we need a change.

I'm not trying to alienate customers. I have over 300 people working here in my Portland factory. Four years ago I had more. I'd like to at least keep my current employees employed and preferably add more.

Maybe I wasn't very smart to give my job title and business affiliation when I gave my endorsement, rather than to do it personally, but I did. If it costs me business, so be it. I'm still going to do my absolute best to make great tools and hope that all Americans, of any political affiliation, will find them of value.

Sincerely yours,
Tim Leatherman
Yeah, thats typical of a liberal.

He opens his big mouth to the media in support of a loser, and now in his typical liberal way of thinking, it's OUR fault that his employees may suffer as a result of his stupidity...

What a nunce. No wonder he supports Kerry.