The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 26, 2008, 12:29 PM   #1
gkent032

Local New Coverage: Personal Defense against BG

The other night I was watching local new coverage. There was a report of a citizen successfully defending himself, using a gun, against BG.

The news reader reported the incident and then cut to an interview with the police chief who lectured the public (very politely) to call 911. Next, cut to another interview, a reporter no less, who quoted from the prevailing self-righteous thinking of “experts” using these works, “ … citizens should not take the law into their own hands, blah-blah-blah …”.

Really got my ire up … durn near blew a hole through the TV.

I resented the intentional mischaracterization of a successful personal defense incident as being, “taking the law into your own hands”, a blatant attempt to shame viewers into believing self defense is a form of vigilantism. Scary thing is; I wonder how many people bought it.

Does anyone else get this kind of CRAP from local news??
Old January 26, 2008, 12:43 PM   #2
homefires

It's the mantra!

Here they want you to use your camera phone to take a photo of the person who is about to kill you so they can find your murderer faster!

Not long ago, ladies use to carrier evil little things like Hat Pins, Metal Rat tail Combs that could be used for defence. Now They get charged with carrying a deadly weapons if those items are found!

Next it will only be legal to curl up in the fetal position, ( Like A Bear Attack ) and only hope for the best!

Last edited by homefires; January 26, 2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old January 26, 2008, 03:49 PM   #3
Dewhitewolf

You act surprised. This is nothing new. The media is never going to praise a private citizen for using a firearm in lawful self-defense. We're lucky just to go one day without the media attacking the right to own guns. Try reading the editorials; almost daily there's somebody talking about "common sense" gun legislation, which does nothing to impact criminal behavior, but in fact criminalizes otherwise law-abiding citizens. Doesn't anybody else find it mildly ironic that the people who talk about "common sense" gun legislation are people who know little to nothing about firearms in the first place?

In my own town, Mt. Olive, NJ, our former police chief was asked by the local paper about his opinion on NJ's new Smart Gun Law (that's right, Smart Guns, altough non-existent, are now law in NJ), he stated that although he does not approve of private ownership of firearms at all, the new smart gun law would help cut down on gang violence. Gang violence? What gang member is going to go through the process of acquiring a permit to purchase a smart gun?

Even if a gang member is arrested for having purchased a non-smart gun, he cannot be prosecuted on 5th amendment grounds: any act he does to comply with the law would incriminate him, therefore he cannot be charged with illegal purchase or possession.