The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 9, 2005, 03:21 PM   #1
HOKIEHUNTER

hunting companion (.357?)

Hey everyone, I'm a newbie who's been cruising this and other forums for a while and I've got a couple questions for ya'll

First of all, I'm fairly new to handguns. i've done a lot of shooting with a high standard .22 and a bersa .380, and played around a little with a SA 1911, but haven't really ever messed with wheel guns. I'm turning 21 here shortly and am looking for a nice companion to "keep bears, cats, and other mal-intented hunters" away. Not really looking for a concealed carry gun, just something that will put down the aforementioned intruders. I'm a big bow / muzzelloading hunter and wouldn't be using my sidearm as a hunting weapon just as backup for the other 2. During general firearms my 30-30 will do the trick all by itself, but after I fire a first arrow or muzzelloader shot at "dangerous game," i want a more reliable, repeating weapon to finish 'em off should they decide to retaliate. I'm a really big fan of the SA Loaded 1911, but it's a little pricey and not really as powerful as I'd like. I'm now leaning toward a Ruger .357 mag, but haven't made up my mind yet. Being that I'm fairly new to pistols, should i go with the 1911 .45ACP (i know that's gonna get laughed at), the Ruger .357, or something else?
thanks and I look foreward to the responses.
Old May 9, 2005, 04:45 PM   #2
Majic

First unless you hunt in another state then you really don't have a problem. Our black bears seldom bother you and the wildcats (if you find a cat bigger than that you have done something) will do everything to stay out of your way. We really don't have any "dangerous game" here.
Second you need to know that during bow and muzzleloading seasons you can't have a modern weapon on you. During regular gun season it's fine to have the .357 mag revolver as long as you are hunting in a rifle county. I don't know what county you hunt in but be sure it's legal to use your 30-30.
Old May 9, 2005, 05:01 PM   #3
HOKIEHUNTER

you can have a concealed weapon on you, but only for protection. you are not allowed to hunt with a pistol but you can carry one. visit www.dgif.state.va.us and they outline the concealed carry policy.

This past year i did a great deal of national forest hunting in buchannon, montgomery, and amherst, and i ran into 3 bears, a bobcat, and a i swear to God a mountain lion. i flung an arrow at a bear and he charged me (short charge) and then backed off. that's enough to scare the crap outta me with only a few more arrows on hand. i also was threatened by a group of hunters on opening day of bow season, and i'd like the upper hand in that situation too.

as far as the legality of the season, haha if i'm threatened i'm gonna do all i can to get out of the situation including using whatever firearm i have on me if it comes to that (worst case scenerio)

thanks for the response
Old May 9, 2005, 05:13 PM   #4
Magnum88C

IF you can carry a protection gun during bow and frontstuffer season, so be it, but BE SURE.

As basic protection, and as a finisher in general gun season. I'd say you're wanting a 4" .357. I highly recommend the Ruger GP-100, or a security/service Six, if you can find one. The S&W 686 is another great choice, but will run more $$ than a Ruger.
Old May 9, 2005, 06:33 PM   #5
Bullrock

Well, before you do anything, check out the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .434 casull / .45 colt. They are just starting to become available, and should retail out for around $650.00.

There are other SRH's hunting HP's available now. Just check out the Ruger website...

Good Luck
Old May 9, 2005, 10:05 PM   #6
Majic

Quote:
Not really looking for a concealed carry gun, just something that will put down the aforementioned intruders.
If you read the law you will see that you can't use the concealed handgun on game (hunting or as a finishing off shot) and you said you weren't really looking for a concealed carry gun. So by your previous post what you are proposing to do is illegal. Don't underestimate the Va. game Wardens. They get you on a weapons charge and they can and will arrest you. Learn the laws before you find yourself not being able to hunt in Va.
Old May 9, 2005, 10:24 PM   #7
buzz meeks

While it sounds like you might want to brush up on your state's game laws, I can say that your choice of a .357 is a good one. There are bigger and better guns available these days but the .357 has been used in the field for seven decades and has gotten the job done for just as long.
Old May 10, 2005, 06:46 AM   #8
HOKIEHUNTER

I guess i'm being somewhat misunderstood, I do not intend to "put down" a wounded animal with the gun. If I wound a bear, deer, or such and it runs off, I don't intend to whip out the gun and shoot as it retreats, or use it to put the animal down from close range. If an animal or another hunter for that matter threatens my life in any way shape or form, I'm gonna do all i can to get away, but if I can't (say i'm in a treestand), I want to take care of the intruder by any means necessary. I'll be more than happy to never hunt in VA again if it means I don't get mauled or attacked. Using the gun would be a last possibility, worst case scenario weapon, and I would most likely fire a warning shot before attempting a kill shot. I know being put in that situation is very unlikely, but so is the fact that you'll need to actually use a concealed carry weapon. I'm going to get a concealed carry permit, but the only time i'll ever need it is when i'm going hunting. I was in three situations last fall where a handgun would have made me feel much safer so I intend on having one with me this year. I see it more as survival gear than part of the hunt. I carry an emerbency blanket, matches, and a mapping gps. I don't really plan on relying on these items during a hunt, but in the national forest I usually hike 2-5 miles from the path to go where no one else is, and a time might come where these items are necessary. haha and it's much easier to signal for help with a handgun than a bow...
I appreciate the responses and assure you i'm up to date on the VA game laws. Thanks for the concern though.
HAHA and I know how strict the game wardens are, they'd ticket they're own mother if they got the chance...
Old May 10, 2005, 07:57 AM   #9
Robert Allison

Sounds as though a nice 357 will do you fine. Since your handgun experience thusfar is limited to 22 and 380, I'd be leery of getting something in the 44 Mag or larger genre for now. I own several 357s and think it is a wonderful, versatile round. My first was a S&W M27 which my dad gave me for Christmas when I was about 16 or 17 years old. I shot that gun for years, bagged several deer with it when I was a college kid, used it to face down a pair of depraved hitchhikers whom I'd graciously given a ride and who decided to rob me and steal my car as my reward (under the caption of "no good deed goes unpunished"), and blew away about a thousand gophers in between. Still have the gun, but it's now enjoying an honorable retirement and I use others for regular shooting, my current and possibly all-time favorite being an 8 shot S&W M627 PC. Get a nice 357, shoot the hell out of it, have fun, and then one day you'll maybe want something bigger. You're young and have many years of shooting and gun ownership to look forward to.
Old May 10, 2005, 10:09 AM   #10
JB in SC

The chance of encountering a bear is pretty slim in the Southeast. I've hunted and fished in some very remote parts of the Southeast, seen bears only twice in forty years. Both encounters scared the bear more than me. I've seen more bears in campgrounds looking for food than in the wild.

Alaska and the Intermountain West are a different story, as are parts of the west that have populations of lions.

Far more likely to encounter the two legged varmint growing dope. Stumbling on a patch can be scary, locals don't take too kindly to a person finding one.

That said, the .357 is the choice.