The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 19, 2024, 10:38 AM   #1
Tool

Bull vs bushing barrels in 2011s

I'm in the process of ordering a Stealth Arms Platypus, and wonder if anyone could please help me with a question?

A bull barrel will cost an extra $50. Does it offer any advantage over bushing barrels? I sure like the looks of a bull barrel.

Thanks.
Old April 20, 2024, 03:57 PM   #2
rock185

Tool, my bushing and bull barrel experience has been with the single stack guns. While I've detected no reliability or accuracy advantage to either, I do like the looks and slightly muzzle heavy feel of the bull barrel guns I've had..
Old April 20, 2024, 06:26 PM   #3
bac1023

I own many 2011’s and prefer a bull barrel.

The Platypus is no 2011, but close enough.
Old April 20, 2024, 07:39 PM   #4
wild cat mccane

My two shadow 2s that are browning petter lock up have regular barrel. My tanfoglio stock master has a bull barrel. Lock up is opposite of muzzle at lugs.

No accuracy difference could be attributed to any of those.

Bull barrel bonus will be take down.

I doubt in simular manufacturer and model like you are wondering, any accuracy dif could be correctly attributed to barrel?
Old April 20, 2024, 11:16 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I didn't see a bull barrel option listed on their web site. Assuming it's available, it wouldn't be worth 50 bucks to me. Once you change to a bull barrel, you then need a non-standard recoil spring plug. Thanks, but no thanks.
Jeepaholic
Old April 21, 2024, 09:34 AM   #6
Jim Watson

It is there.

I might lean towards the bull to add a little weight to an aluminum gun.
FLG set up a lightweight SA for "fast handling" but now I have added weight back with heavy FLGR and steel backed Pachmayr grip. Unfortunately my spare steel S&A mag well funnel doesn't fit that gun.

Last edited by Jim Watson; April 21, 2024 at 09:41 AM.
Old April 21, 2024, 10:17 AM   #7
L. Boscoe

I have CZ 97 with fitted bushing, and Tanfoglio with Bull barrel.
Don't see much difference in accuracy, but take down is a lot
easier with the Bull.
Old April 21, 2024, 02:44 PM   #8
Tool

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts. This is very helpful. In that case, I'll get the bull barrel then.
Old April 21, 2024, 05:39 PM   #9
DaleA

Since you wanted it anyway, and especially since Bac1023 supported your decision, I'll go waaaaaaay out on a limb here and say you made a good choice.
Old April 21, 2024, 06:46 PM   #10
TunnelRat

I think the general thought process is the greater weight out front of the bull barrel helps with recoil. I don’t have a 2011 without a bull barrel, so I can’t personally say one way or the other. I have shot 9mm 1911s and those seemed fine, but they also had a full steel frame. I think generally I want a bull barrel on a 2011. To be fair, however, it is 9mm in what are often larger, heavier pistols. The recoil is not that punishing to begin with. I know in this case it’s basically the same pistol with or without the bull barrel, but in other cases if there were other features different between the pistol with the bull barrel and the pistol without, those other features might mean more to me.

To the comments about bull barrels being easier to disassemble, I think that sort of depends. Some bull barrel 1911s/2011s are pretty easy to disassemble. Some require tools or at least a paper clip or similar. To me that’s more work than rotating a barrel bushing, at least if the tool isn’t something I normally have on me.