The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 17, 2007, 07:41 PM   #1
poker2112

need help with new hunting rifle

so i am a southpaw,left eye dominant shooter, can i shoot a right hand rifle without having the brass hit me in the face.....or do i need to stick to lefthanded rifles?also any sugestions on a good 300wsm rifle and scope??? thanks
Old June 17, 2007, 08:17 PM   #2
Scorch

Browning A-Bolt or Remington 700. Comes in left-handed, too.
Old June 17, 2007, 09:12 PM   #3
Bigfatts

I believe Savage makes a Varmint rifle that is right handed for the bolt but the ejection port is on the left side. It's a single shot though as I recall.
Old June 17, 2007, 11:41 PM   #4
MacGille

I am left handed and left eye dominant. I shoot right handed because thats the way my daddy taught me. Now I am 68 years old and my left eye is far better than my right. I can shoot left handed and have no difficulty operating the action with my right hand. You do have to take the rifle down to do it though so make your first shot count. I can shoot my SKS left handed but the cases zing past my nose and I don't want to catch a hot case in my eye.

So I am finally putting scopes on my rifles after a lifetime of shooting open sights. Then I shoot right handed.
If ye love wealth better than Liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from us in Peace. We ask not your counsel or Arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. --Samuel Adams--<*ixoye><
Old July 6, 2007, 03:33 AM   #5
LeftHander

If shooting an AR15 type, you are ok if it has the brass deflector(wedge shaped projection at the back of the ejection port). Without it the brass will hit you. The early guns without the forward assist don't have this, also a couple retro style uppers have this and the assist deleted from the design. I think the Knight SR-25 doesn't have the deflector, at least the early ones don't. They had some add-on deflector that mounted on the top rail. Stupid.
The HK 91,93 types should be ok, as they seem to have a slightly forward angled ejection path, with brass ending up in a different zip code!
Any other rifle, you may have to try with some empty brass.

Will
Old July 6, 2007, 11:02 AM   #6
davlandrum

Poker - I assume you are looking for a semi? With a right-handed bolt, you are going to have to move your face anyway. My buddy shots a right-handed bolt with either hand.

Just curious why the 300 WSM ?
Old July 6, 2007, 11:44 AM   #7
timyarb

I am seriously left eye dominant

Although right handed I shoot lefty due to the eye problem. I have no problems with any of my guns. Not the SKS's, the Ar's or any of my bolts. The only one that is a problem and always will be is the Walther G-22 when setup for a righty. So no shooting Bullpups unles they are setup for left hand. Other than that I have yet to find a rifle i cant shoot lefty that is setup for a right hander. Even my Semi-auto Mossberg shotgun never gave me any issues.

Tim