The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 20, 2006, 09:34 AM   #1
rbs

Question from the new guy

Hey folks, I just joined the forum. The threads look good so far. I have a question about home study gunsmithing courses. I'm fixin to retire so I want to do something I like. There is not a resident course any where close. Any recommendations?
Old July 20, 2006, 09:39 AM   #2
KSFreeman

Welcome to TFL!

Have you checked out AGI's dvds?
Old July 20, 2006, 07:14 PM   #3
Majic

Unless you are a machinist or have one willing to teach you machine shop equipment then forget it. That is not something you can learn from a book or video. You also need to learn to use precision measuring instruments. They require a touch that also is not learned in a book.
Old July 20, 2006, 08:11 PM   #4
Wyo Cowboy

I wouldn't go as far as Majic, but trying to learn gunsmithing from a book or video is like trying to learn how to fly the same way. You might have the concept, but the landing will be "interesting" at best. A number of colleges and vo-tech schools offer machining and/or gunsmithing courses. These won't make you a master smith but get you started and get you above the "garage gunsmith" level. I do have a few of AGI's video courses. Their great for seeing the finer points of a full strip and re-assemble of various firearms. But they sure haven't taught me much about advanced gunsmithing. What little I do know (and I do mean LITTLE) came from learning at the table of a master, which, of course is really the best way. Best wishes to you, don't give up the dream!